Disappointing, Oregon HD-TE

Orbx Flyer

I have been flying around the Oregon HD-TE product..and can only say, that as my personal opinion, this is a disappointing purchase.  I find the ground ortho, to be low grade, blurry, like Z14, the mountains blotchy in texture, the forms not sharp and crisp.

This opinion is in total contrast to Washington TE.  The quality can be seen at barely a glance.

If this is truly 'HD'...I can probably delete Oregon SD, for sure.   Was this product rushed out the door, or the metrics purchased for it to create the overlays, of such poor quality?  The following picture captured at 2,500 AGL, is not what I expected for $69.00....sorry,  not personally impressed. Will fly in Washington...Oregon HD TE is simply not real life, believable.

Cirrus-SF50-2019-08-19-5-59-06-PM.png

4 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Hmmm, mine looks a lot more detailed than your's.  Did you try to verify files?  Check the scenery layer?  Sorry to read and see this.

Yes, Jack..verified...and properly layer'ed within the other TE products...the three folders are exactly as the others.  I find the product totally inferior to Washington TE and every other TE so far purchased. Others reading this, will and can have differing opinions, or mirror my own...but for myself...this was the first 'fail' TE purchase.  

Yes..I flew out of KMFR, Nick.  I also have been flying over other areas just to compare...and honestly, I LOVE all my other TE titles...absolutely...but this one...I could have done better creating my own Ortho4XP at Z17/19.  I guess that I am entitled to my personal opinion, and sadly, on Oregon TE HD,  this is basically it...

O.F.

I am having the same experience, since I live in Oregon I was very much looking forward to this. The primary GA airport in Central Oregon and one of the busiest in all of Oregon is KBDN. Not only does the scenery look terrible, the terrain is messed up. The taxi way is slanted and there is about a 10 ft drop from the taxiway to the runway midfield. It is so bad looking its not even funny. Is there any way to fix this?

2 hours ago, Waughzup said:

I am having the same experience, since I live in Oregon I was very much looking forward to this. The primary GA airport in Central Oregon and one of the busiest in all of Oregon is KBDN. Not only does the scenery look terrible, the terrain is messed up. The taxi way is slanted and there is about a 10 ft drop from the taxiway to the runway midfield. It is so bad looking its not even funny. Is there any way to fix this?

Yes, I've noticed that today.  KBDN is a mess!

Interesting. I've only had a couple of quick looks around Portland without any particular focus on quality and it felt good there. Haven't explored any of the region in detail yet. Went to KMFR just now to check this out and I'd have to agree that this doesn't look anything like the same quality as TE WA. The underlying ortho does look quite wishy-washy.

jt6zg5N.jpg

Time for some more exploration! Maybe the satellite had a bit of space dust in its eye for this particular tile?

5 hours ago, jjaycee1 said:

@Tony Wroblewski Here is a pic of the mesh situation at KBDN. @Nick Cooper may wish to move this post to a more suitable XP forum and as a possible Bug Report for review by the developers. You will also notice the left to right slope of the taxiway.

Captur.thumb.JPG.923d07cbcd3bc4c73ca3b7e8010f1162.JPG

Let me explain as simply as I can:

XP11 airports

1. We don't modify them at all - they are Gateway airports which are moderated and curated by Laminar Research

2. We have given Laminar Research a list of all the Oregon airports which need correction

3. It is now up to LR to fix these elevation issues in a patch

So whilst I do understand your frustration about elevation issues, misaligned runways and other problems at many airports, they are simply not part of our TE packages for X-Plane, and they have not been since TE GB South was released last year.

Blue tones on ortho

1. The source imagery quality for Oregon from NAIP is nowhere near as good as Washington, or is as good as Northern California. See below for a comparison between the source quality of Oregon (top) to NorCal (bottom):

OrvsNocal.jpg

2. This means a lot of manual correction work is required.  We found similar issues at Eugene which were fixed prior to release, but alas Medford has slipped through the cracks and for this we apologise

3. We are now fixing the discoloration issues and we'll also scour the rest of the state to see if there are any more "Smurfvilles" :)  Once that process is completely we'll put out a small patch to fix them

Overlay 

1. In terms of the overaly at Medford and Bend, there are zero issues, and any criticism is unfounded. Every tree, house and building is in the exact correct place and the right size and there are no missing objects.

2. I would be interested to know why people feel the overlay does not meet expectations? Perhaps you guys are getting confused with the airport elevation issues and the discolored concrete in the ortho imagery?

3 If not, please clarify what you mean by not being happy with the overlay

Once again, please accept my apologies for the Smurfville Effect for Medford, we are right now looking at alternative imagery sources or other ways to fix that. We will also scan the entire state to see if there are any more areas like this.

Hi @jjaycee1 , you double-posted, so I attempted to delete the second post but they both disappeared.  I quoted your post purely to show the example of elevation issues affecting an airport, not because you are the OP complaining about Oregon per se ;)

7 minutes ago, John Venema said:

Hi @jjaycee1 , you double-posted, so I attempted to delete the second post but they both disappeared.  I quoted your post purely to show the example of elevation issues affecting an airport, not because you are the OP complaining about Oregon per se ;)

That's fine, just wanted to check.

45 minutes ago, John Venema said:

1. The source imagery quality for Oregon from NAIP is nowhere near as good as Washington, or is as good as Northern California. See below for a comparison between the source qulaity of Oregon (top) to NorCal (bottom)

That pretty much explains it then. I guess that we just assumed it would be the same quality throughout the US. No reason that would be the case, thinking about it, even from the same supplier, given the variations in atmospherics etc.

Still good stuff, and looking forward to spending more time in it, and also looking forward to California. These True Earth products have really transformed the sims and I for one thank you for them. And I shall now spend some time looking to see if I can find an actual Smurfville anywhere in the US. Wouldn't be surprised, I seem to remember finding a town called Suburbia in Pennsylvania or somewhere around that part of the country.

OK we have found much better USGS imagery for Medford and here is the result of a first test. This needs further colour correction and blending but you can see that the concrete areas are much more realistic and the detail is much sharper. This is because the USGS imagery was photographed in better conditions, i.e. not in direct sunlight like the NAIP stuff was.

Screen_Shot_08-20-19_at_01.34_PM.jpg

Click to see the 4K image

You can also notice that with better quality imagery, the overlay blends in much more naturally and looks more cohesive.

We will process the Medford tile and make it available as a patch ASAP.

12 minutes ago, John Venema said:

OK we have found much better USGS imagery for Medford and here is the result of a first test. This needs further colour correction and blending but you can see that the concrete areas are much more realistic and the detail is much sharper. This is because the USGS imagery was photographed in better conditions, i.e. not in direct sunlight like the NAIP stuff was.

Screen_Shot_08-20-19_at_01.34_PM.jpg

Click to see the 4K image

You can also notice that with better quality imagery, the overlay blends in much more naturally and looks more cohesive.

We will process the Medford tile and make it available as a patch ASAP.

That's the quality I've been looking for! Please also look at the Portland area. I feel like the trees do not blend in as well with the ortho source as in Washington, and the concrete's purple.

Yep, that's Medford.  My house would be somewhere in the upper left corner.  I like the colors much better than TE Washington, but even so I think they are more washed out in real life.  Anyway, when you have TE Washington and Oregon ready for P3D I will finally make the transition from FSX.

I have flown down the coast and it looks rather good to me, with very nice and dramatic at times masking of the ocean. Flying inland somewhat exposes less detailed tree data areas? And the light green ortho showing through is a let down especially after the stunning trees in Washington which often completely mask the orthos. Here's what I mean...HD version

YkVb59M.jpg

Hi all, I too bought the TrueEarth US Oregon HD last night and installed it. I thought I would try out my homes state 1st before trying out the TrueEarth Washington version (I now live in Seattle). I saw nothing exciting at all about it. I looked at Portland 1st since I lived there for 23 years and my daughter still does. I cranked up the Cessna 400 (which I helped develop in real life) and I buzzed down town and realized there are no Stadiums as there are in real life. I saw these items on the promotional video. The city itself is pretty unexciting to fly over in the sim. I 1st downloaded the SD version and uninstalled it this morning and downloaded the SD version to see of that was the problem. It looks just the same. There is nothing exciting or beautiful at all. I want it to be gorgeous but I am not sure what is wrong? I downloaded the ORBX Central 4.06 and that didn’t help anything either.

Please help I need my home state Oregon to look GREAT.

My Rig is the Following  

HP Z800 with Dual Intel Xeon X5690 3.46Ghz Processors with Liquid cooling heat sink assembly (for dual processors)

PC3-10600 1333MHz DDR3 RDIMM ECC Reg Memory. 

Samsung SSD 860 EVO 250GB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD Windows 10 Pro Operating System drive only. 

Samsung SM961 M.2 512GB PCIe NVMe OEM SSD game and add on scenery drive. 

Seagate BarraCuda ST4000DM005 4TB 7200 RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 3.5" 3rd Hard Drive. 

Seagate ST4000DM000 4TB 5900RPM SATA III 6.0Gb/s 3.5" 4th Hard Drive. 

X-Plane 11.35. 

I/O Crest 4 Port SATA III PCI-e 2.0 x2 Non RAID Hard Drive Controller Card Marvell 9235 Chipset. 

HP USB 3.0 2x2 SuperSpeed PCIe x1 Card. 

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 FE Founders Edition 8GB Graphics Cards GPU.

4 hours ago, jessquirl said:

Hi all, I too bought the TrueEarth US Oregon HD last night and installed it. I thought I would try out my homes state 1st before trying out the TrueEarth Washington version (I now live in Seattle). I saw nothing exciting at all about it. I looked at Portland 1st since I lived there for 23 years and my daughter still does. I cranked up the Cessna 400 (which I helped develop in real life) and I buzzed down town and realized there are no Stadiums as there are in real life. I saw these items on the promotional video. The city itself is pretty unexciting to fly over in the sim. I 1st downloaded the SD version and uninstalled it this morning and downloaded the SD version to see of that was the problem. It looks just the same. There is nothing exciting or beautiful at all. I want it to be gorgeous but I am not sure what is wrong? I downloaded the ORBX Central 4.06 and that didn’t help anything either.

Please help I need my home state Oregon to look GREAT.

My Rig is the Following  

HP Z800 with Dual Intel Xeon X5690 3.46Ghz Processors with Liquid cooling heat sink assembly (for dual processors)

PC3-10600 1333MHz DDR3 RDIMM ECC Reg Memory. 

Samsung SSD 860 EVO 250GB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD Windows 10 Pro Operating System drive only. 

Samsung SM961 M.2 512GB PCIe NVMe OEM SSD game and add on scenery drive. 

Seagate BarraCuda ST4000DM005 4TB 7200 RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 3.5" 3rd Hard Drive. 

Seagate ST4000DM000 4TB 5900RPM SATA III 6.0Gb/s 3.5" 4th Hard Drive. 

X-Plane 11.35. 

I/O Crest 4 Port SATA III PCI-e 2.0 x2 Non RAID Hard Drive Controller Card Marvell 9235 Chipset. 

HP USB 3.0 2x2 SuperSpeed PCIe x1 Card. 

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 FE Founders Edition 8GB Graphics Cards GPU.

I think you might need to post some screenshots of what you're seeing with an explanation so that we can get an idea if your scenery is correctly installed.

9 hours ago, BobT said:

Flying inland somewhat exposes less detailed tree data areas? And the light green ortho showing through is a let down especially after the stunning trees in Washington which often completely mask the orthos. Here's what I mean...HD version

Thanks Bob

The tree coverage is generated using the same process as Washington however the ortho colour difference in this part is what is making it appear obvious and it needs fixing. In fact, the trees actually need to be exaggerated slightly in density because at the real heights they look so small in X-Plane (i.e. They're the correct height but don't look dense enough horizontally).

4 hours ago, jessquirl said:

I cranked up the Cessna 400 (which I helped develop in real life) and I buzzed down town and realized there are no Stadiums as there are in real life. I saw these items on the promotional video

Please post a support request along with a screenshot. There should be a large pile of POIs in Portland and if something key is actually missing then this should be reported for adding a future update.

6 minutes ago, jessquirl said:

Here are my screenshots.

Jesse

HEADING OVER PORTLAND.jpg

OVER DOWNTOWN PORTLAND.jpg

PORTLAND AIRPORT.jpg

SETTINGS.jpg

That definitely looks like the default X-Plane scenery to me! Make sure you've got your scenery_packs.ini correctly setup. The file can be found under /Custom Scenery/scenery_packs.ini 

More info on that here:

Ignore that it says TE GB, should work for TE Oregon too.

Your screenshots are showing default XPlane scenery and not Orbx. You likely need to adjust your Custom Scenery/scenery_packs.ini. If you attach that file someone here will have a look I'm sure :)

Also, bring your reflections slider down to close to minimum and texture quality one to the left of where it is. And your anti aliassing is set very high, probably not needed. Cheers!

3 hours ago, Daan said:

That definitely looks like the default X-Plane scenery to me! Make sure you've got your scenery_packs.ini correctly setup. The file can be found under /Custom Scenery/scenery_packs.ini 

More info on that here:

Ignore that it says TE GB, should work for TE Oregon too.

Still not loading the enhanced Oregon scenery. :( I reordered the items in the scenery_packs.ini file too. Hmmm not sure what may be the problem? I appreciate the help too. 

Jesse

FB_IMG_1566434453285.jpg

Will ORBX Central 4.06 need to rebuild or repair it after I reboot? It seems like it is reinstalling the Oregon after I reopened ORBX Central 4.06. I guess I will wait and see how it turns out after that. :) Hoping for the best. 

Jesse

ERROR.jpg

ERROR 2.jpg

44 minutes ago, Sentry11 said:

Remove the "in" file thats in your your Custom Scenery folder and unzip and drop in this "ini" file in.

scenery_packs.zip 613 B · 0 downloads

That did it Sentry11 thank you and BobTDaanJohn Dowjjaycee1Tony Wroblewski everyone else that helped me out today. I appreciate it immensely. I love my Portland, now off to the rest of Oregon to explore. Tower am I clear for departure? ;)

FIXED.jpg

2 hours ago, jessquirl said:

That did it Sentry11 thank you and BobTDaanJohn Dowjjaycee1Tony Wroblewski everyone else that helped me out today. I appreciate it immensely. I love my Portland, now off to the rest of Oregon to explore. Tower am I clear for departure? ;)

FIXED.jpg

Really glad it worked out well for you. It is also a good example of how the Orbx community got together to resolve your situation.

Been around most of the state with HD and find overall imagery not nearly as scintillating as Washington, in fact a lot of it reminds me of the old PNW scenenry - not photoreal.  Colors are weak and washed out in places.  The overall impression is 'slightly out of focus' and needing color correction.   Looking forward to the updated version.

14 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Been around most of the state with HD and find overall imagery not nearly as scintillating as Washington, in fact a lot of it reminds me of the old PNW scenenry - not photoreal.  Colors are weak and washed out in places.  The overall impression is 'slightly out of focus' and needing color correction.   Looking forward to the updated version.

My feelings, exactly....as it sits, today.  The RESOLVED indication, should not be attached to this post, as that was for another, contributor to the post, and not the 'issues' with Oregon TE HD, from the O.P. , myself.  My issues with the RTM product have indeed, not be 'resolved'.  Sharper (in focus) or higher Z rated Ortho layer, more depth color registers, would 'resolve' my original comments as I labeled it...the RTM "disappointing".  I hope they look at this product again...different ortho source, whatever...and do a make over to the standards I see in TE-GB, and TE-Washington.

The Moderators should in all honestly, return this post to an ACTIVE designation as the gentleman who was not seeing his Oregon TE, was NOT the thrust of this post., and not the O.P.  My opinion, anyways....

Archived