New Flight Sim announced!

Nic727

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My question and concern is hardware compatibility.  I have a networked simpit in which I've invested heavily.  Will my panels and controls work?  What about FSUIPC?  SpadNeXt? Forget about XBOX, I will not use a mouse or keyboard in flying my SIM, and my setup does not work well with on-screen gauges and instruments.

2 hours ago, Matthijs said:

....  By revamping our tech  ....

It's gonna have to be "some sort of revamp" to succeed !!  More of a re-write, than a 're-vamp', I'm sure most people would expect given the legacy of what went before!

Yes the old Flight Simmer in denial of being a gamer. Unless you are in the business of Level D Simulation for Commercial Purposes then you have to admit this is your hobby and for your entertainment purposes. You buy a Gaming Rig with Gaming Video Cards etc etc etc to run it and you do this because you have fun. Don't pretend it is anything else :D

When I bought FSX when it first came out it was from a store that also sells Barbie Dolls and Hot Wheel Cars, etc so yeah my purchase was for Entertainment. Just because this latest release has X-Box on it that doesn't makes it any different then it always was, part of a family of products that are for your entertainment brought to you by Microsoft

46 minutes ago, Matthew Kane said:

Yes the old Flight Simmer in denial of being a gamer. Unless you are in the business of Level D Simulation for Commercial Purposes then you have to admit this is your hobby...

Fine! It's my hobby! But I have never been a player. Ask anybody! I swear! :D

A true flight simulator is not possible on a PC. A true flight simulator is the type of equipment you see airline and airforce pilots train on and cost millions. PC based sims are marketed as entertainment and it is upto the buyer as to how far he/she wants to use it for actual flight type training etc. If you want to simulate flying a real aircraft then you would buy addons of very sophisticated planes which allow the technical aspects of that plane to be replicated as much as possible via a PC. Still no where near real but a damn sight nearer to reality than say a default sim plane. Scenery would be a secondary consideration since the whole objective of the buyer would be to simulate flight as much as a PC's capabilities allow.

Then we have people like me, who love the "sim" but are more scenery orientated because we like to view the world as real as much as a PC will allow. The aerodynamics and realistic functionality of a plane are not as important but still a major part of the flight challenge.

I would not have spent so much money over the last 15+ years (10 of those years almost exclusively with Orbx) on scenery if I was plane orientated. The scenery would be very much a secondary consideration. I would want all my PC hardware capacity to be concentrating on the Flight aspect rather than showing real world pics and autogen/objects.

So, although I totally respect those that shudder at the thought of any flight sim being regarded as even a gesture of being a "game" , there is a huge market for those of us who use the sim as a method of viewing the world as realistically as possible, while incidentally, flying an aeroplane.

Orbx exists for simmers like myself as they produce top quality sceneries. This new Microsoft Flight Sim looks, on first view, to be the exact type "sim" i would really enjoy, but is way too early to know exactly what costs are, how much details and satellite imagery is available as default, costs of additional scenery (like AF2 DLCs?) etc. If all these aspects are revealed then a qualifies judgement can be made as to whether it is the sim for you. I feel that it could be a very big winner, but time will tell.

Happy flying to ALL simmers whatever your preferences:)

I'm a "gamer", but I want my flight game to be realistic, with ATC, proper procedures, flight dynamics, system simulation etc., and with extensive add-on support and the ability to purchase addons from third party developers, not just via in-game microtransactions.

Like Jack and others I am cautious and sceptical.  I am not sure this old dog wants to learn new tricks.  What about MS, P3D and the entertainment debate. Are there lawsuits in the offing between the two giants or will we now be forced to move to MS while LM builds for the commercial and military market.  I simply do not want to invest again in a mass of aircraft, scenery and airport add-ons, as well as utilities and hardware peripherals.

And at my age 2020 is a long way off.....

XBox or PC ? Not sure this is the issue as both are mentioned.. The key word seems to me XBox Pass. Looks like a subscription game on cloud. MSFlight on cloud. Third party devs will be delighted (yes, I am sarcastic). Welcome to Flightflix . Or is it NetFlight ;) ?

37 minutes ago, dominique said:

XBox or PC ? Not sure this is the issue as both are mentioned.. The key word seems to me XBox Pass. Looks like a subscription game on cloud. MSFlight on cloud. Third party devs will be delighted (yes, I am sarcastic). Welcome to Flightflix . Or is it NetFlight ;) ?

It will be on PC first then on the new XBox releasing in 2020, the next generation XBox is 8K with ray tracing, cloud services and SSD. 

From the looks of it the scenery imagery looks like it could be Bing Maps using Azure cloud infrastructure as it mentions in the preview, you can spot anomalies in some of the shots that can happen on that type of imagery. Could mean the scenery is streamed from the cloud

7 hours ago, aviationatwar said:

I'm glad I haven't spent any money yet on moving to 64 bit sim! I'm about due for a new computer anyway so I'll see how this plays out before deciding what to buy.

Same here. Wasn't convinced that v4 added anything to v3 to my flying (YMMV).And I was waiting for v5 to get a new rig. I hope there will be a v5 for the general public now... There might  be entertaining (pun intended) discussions between LM and MS on the academic licence issue :D.

9 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

People need to stop saying this it creates bad rumors. The very little that has been officially said by them is clearly saying PC. Just read what has been said it is for PC

With the greatest respect to you ....

The Official trailer has Xbox stamped all over it - and mentions nothing about a PC!

Don't mis-understand me - if it is available on a desktop PC platform I'll be very happy, having invested nearly £3000 on a Chillblast system to run FS on my move up from FS9 over a year ago now.   But I see no mention of the PC platform.

Very happy to be corrected however .......

Lee

EDIT - Update:   Just went to the Insider Programme page possibly to sign up.  Looked at the Terms & Conditions and they are for XBOX!

2 minutes ago, BAW9DV said:

The Official trailer has Xbox stamped all over it - and mentions nothing about a PC!

All good Lee,

XBox is Multi-platform and not just console. It is also a part of Windows10 as well. This is why you can play XBox Games on either XBox or PC. The new XBox coming out in 2020 will be more powerful then the PC's we are currently using as it will be 8K Graphics running around 120fps and have SSD and Cloud capabilities. Doesn't mean you have to get one but the next generation of PCs will be even better.

Having that XBox logo on the video just means that is what Microsoft is using that to distribute titles now, but that includes both PC and Consoles.

8 minutes ago, BAW9DV said:

With the greatest respect to you ....

Don't mis-understand me - if it is available on a desktop PC platform I'll be very happy, having invested nearly £3000 on a Chillblast system to run FS on my move up from FS9 over a year ago now.   But I see no mention of the PC platform.

Very happy to be corrected however .......

Lee

EDIT - Update:   Just went to the Insider Programme page possibly to sign up.  Looked at the Terms & Conditions and they are for XBOX!

Follow the website link in post #33. The website says it is being developed for XBOX and Windows 10. Windows 10 is for PCs.

1 minute ago, Matthew Kane said:

All good Lee,

XBox is Multi-platform and not just console. It is also a part of Windows10 as well. This is why you can play XBox Games on either XBox or PC. The new XBox coming out in 2020 will be more powerful then the PC's we are currently using as it will be 8K Graphics running around 120fps and have SSD and Cloud capabilities. Doesn't mean you have to get one but the next generation of PCs will be even better.

Having that XBox logo on the video just means that is what Microsoft is using that to distribute titles now, but that includes both PC and Consoles.

Thanks for clarifying that Matthew,

So I will really need to buy and Xbox to enjoy the new Sim as it should be?   I just shelled out £3000 on an i7-7700k overclocked CPU, GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB System....

Lee

2 minutes ago, chumley said:

Follow the website link in post #33. The website says it is being developed for XBOX and Windows 10. Windows 10 is for PCs.

Okay,

My understanding that both Xbox and PCs use Windows 10 as an OS ...

Lee

7 minutes ago, BAW9DV said:

Thanks for clarifying that Matthew,

So I will really need to buy and Xbox to enjoy the new Sim as it should be?   I just shelled out £3000 on an i7-7700k overclocked CPU, GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB System....

Lee

Nope you won't have to buy an XBox, IMHO most people buying the new XBox will be wanting the next Grand Theft Auto 6 and not care about Flight Sim. We can still use it on the PC as always but Microsoft will offer it on both platforms. Inevitably they will probably see more PC users compared to Console users. 

They haven't released PC Specs yet but remember when FSX first came out it took years for PC Hardware to catch up to its full capabilities. Even P3D with it's updates is still not that great on performance all things considered and this is after 13 years of modifying it now. That is the nature of PC Hardware though, it depreciates faster then a car

1 minute ago, Matthew Kane said:

Nope, IMHO most people buying the new XBox will be wanting the next Grand Theft Auto 6 and not care about Flight Sim. We can still use it on the PC as always but Microsoft will offer it on both platforms. Inevitably they will probably see more PC users compared to Console users. 

They haven't released PC Specs yet but remember when FSX first came out it took years for PC Hardware to catch up to its full capabilities. Even P3D with it's updates is still not that great on performance all things considered and this is after 13 years of modifying it now. That is the nature of PC Hardware though, it depreciates faster then a car

Hello Matthew,

Yes, I understand that.  I was a Beta tester for the 747-400 in FS years ago for Microsoft UK so my FS career goes back a long, long way ....

If it is available on PC, then I'm happy :-)

Cheers,

Lee

1 minute ago, BAW9DV said:

If it is available on PC, then I'm happy :-)

Yes it will be, they  have already documented it will be on the PC first, then the next generation XBox after that. I am happy with what I am seeing so far as well B)

Looks like it has incredible potential, but we have to hope that they are focusing on what makes a good core simulation, the flight dynamics and simulation of the avionics for a start. I hope they take the game back to its roots and don't just try to milk it for microtransactions and module based expansions (unless they are full-fat). Give us a nice platform to develop over the next decade not a cash grab.

If nothing more the competition alone will cause all other sim companies to sit up and take notice

Lets see what new technology will be inspired in existing sims by the introduction of some beautiful tech in this new MS flight sim

Here is an analysis of the the MS trailer which makes some interesting observations

The scenery may be being created from MS sponsored 24/7 new network of satellites that keeps the entire planets surface in view without missing a thing

Over the coming months MS will undoubtedly release details to keep us drooling for more

9 minutes ago, craigeaglefire said:

also looking forward to, specifically, the official Orbx & LM response to this announcement...

(Forza 7 quality graphics/performance & real-time satellite data with quality 3D modelled objects on the fly - hmmm, has a dream quality about it)

ORBX may have a comment but I doubt LM will as they are operating in a different space. MS is all about entertainment whereas LM is not.

43 minutes ago, Matthew Kane said:

most people buying the new XBox will be wanting the next Grand Theft Auto 6 and not care about Flight Sim.  

Don't be so pessimistic, there might be a "Grand Theft Flight" being announced for the new plateform and/or, if distributed by Steam, a "Flying the Punk Rage - The RPG/Flightsim That Every Simmer Has Been waiting For'.  You never know, you know.

With all due respect to the ORBX guys, I would love to be a fly on the wall in their Monday morning meeting.  This may seal the fate of the TrueEarth series.  At least in the long-term.  Unless in-fact ORBX is involved somehow.  But, regardless, satellite imagery cannot perfectly recreate airports up close, so we will still need ORBX for the airports!  But if MS can do the entire planet (outside of airports) like this, then ORBX may need to rethink their TE/Region based approach.

56 minutes ago, KORDATC said:

With all due respect to the ORBX guys, I would love to be a fly on the wall in their Monday morning meeting.  This may seal the fate of the TrueEarth series.  

I am sure at least the ORBX CEO (and a hand full of other 3rd party CEOs) knew about this in advance. I can imagine (but this is pure guessing) there have already been thoughts about consequences for long-range product strategy. From what I saw and read, ORBX should fit quite well into this sim - if it will be open to 3rd parties. Otherwise, MS will fail another time for sure.

But let's wait for an official statement.

Kind regards, Michael

Archived