I'm finally done with TE...........

W2DR

OK...here's the deal. I'm finally done with all TE products. Fresh install of Windows 7. Fresh install of P3Dv4.5.12.30293. All I wanted to do is see what's the best performance I could get from GBS TE. No other add-ons installed.The result of the GBS TE install? Three hours of "scanning"! It refuses to install. I'm done with any TE product, ever. Back to flying and enjoying life. End of rant and flame suit on..........Doug

1 minute ago, cyberpilot said:

There's a simple solution Doug.

Switch to XP11 like I did - TEGB works like a charm there!

Must agree here.  And I'm an avid P3der.  I have XP11 (latest) and its here where I enjoy the TE scenery.  And you best believe I'll have Washington as well.  TE is truly designed for Xplane.    

2 hours ago, cyberpilot said:

There's a simple solution Doug.

Switch to XP11 like I did - TEGB works like a charm there!

You may well be right. I've had XP11 installed for quite a while but I've never really used it. Thanks.....I'll give it another try..............

Even if your Windows 7 is 64 bit, any later 64 bit version should help. You clearly have your reasons for avoiding Win8/8.1/10 and you're not the only one that doesn't want to update, so I do respect your reasons. Just sayin' that something more current almost certainly will help your performance across the board

I use both P3D and X-Plane and like both platforms for some overlapping and some different reasons. For TE, I use X-plane because it performs so well. I cannot wait for Washington to be released for XP11 and will be very much looking forward to Oregon, Norther California, and Southern California after that.

Well I cant complain about the installation process itsself, but the loading times even with the P3D 4.5 Hotfix version are still not bearable to me. It takes still around 7 - 9 minutes after one flight is loaded. Plus since I fly commercial airplanes most, with ground speeds of 450 - 550 kts the tiles on the ground gets blurry after 5-10 minutes even if everything is on a fast SSD.

I think TE is more something for GA flying with like 80 - 100 knots at around 2500 feet. But at least not for commercial flying.

TE requires very powerful computers

I updated to Windows 10, updated to 32 GB (are you adding? $$$$)

And still have hard time flying it

I need to invest in a new video card, total $$$$? vs AUD $54.95

But I'll update someday, I guess

I like the look of XP but I'm not planning to spend the amount of money I already have in products for P3D to change to XP. It would be insane

If one could at least exchanged them... but being different platforms it would be impossible.

What we need is P3D to improve the most its platform to almost match XP look and advantages so we can keep everything bought but looking and running a lot better

I think to appear to complain about TE when the problem is more related to an old OS (Win7) and an old but continually modded sim platform like P3D is not really valid, The product is superb, the OS and sim are the problem. You can't keep bandaging up and adding turbos etc to an old car and expect it to run like a new modern car with all the latest tech. Imagine a driverless Uber Model T:D

I have a modest PC (i5 4690k @ 4.3Ghz/16GB DDR3-1600 RAM/2GB GeForce GTX 770), and I have disabled all of those "3DM" files that contain the data for the generic custom 3D buildings. With these files deactivated, I can run TrueEarth GB South in P3D v4 at "acceptable" framerates over London, and very good framerates everywhere else @ 1920x1080 resolution and 4xSSAA/16xAF settings. This is with Scenery Complexity and Autogen Density @ Extremely Dense, Autogen Distance @ Medium, LOD Radius @ High, Tessellation @ Medium, Mesh Resolution @ 5 metres, Texture Resolution @ 15cm, Water @ Medium, Shadow Detail @ Medium, and Shadows limited to my own plane (cast and receive internal and external). I also have Dynamic Lighting and Reflections disabled, and I also fly with clear skies and calm weather. However, I do also run lots of detailed custom AI planes @ 100% (since there is no point in doing all the work to manually add AI flightplans and models if you are not going to see them in the simulator).

This may be too limited for some, but then I do not have the luxury of a super fast i5 9900k powered system with an RTX 2080Ti GPU. In fact, my PC does remarkably well, considering that I only have 2GB VRAM. I can even run the TrueEarth Netherlands/FlyTampa Amsterdam combo at those settings, although framerates do struggle on the ground with all of my detailed AI planes in action.

EDIT: For the record, I am running all of this under Windows 7 64bit Home Premium Edition.

Here we go again...

Since MSFS began our actual rig was never enough for the latest version.
Flight simulation as always been demanding on hardware.

If you want a cheap fast rig look at mine, I run TE stuff without any problem.

Funny enough that we want 64bit simulators, photoreal sceneries, maximal details, wonderful weather depiction and all this stuff that sometimes even a 2019 version of a flight simulator struggles to provide properly and then we run this simulator on a operating system that appeared in October 2009, almost 10 years ago.

Sorry, no understanding for this. How one can stubbornly stick to such an old operating system that will even be end of support in less than one year and then complain about a 2019 software not running with the expected results? Do you also still use Internet Explorer 6 or the office package from back then? And a cell phone from 2009? I guess no...

Hi there,

Do not be deceived: P3D is totally CPU dependent. Worse, it prefers the "0" core of the CPU's.;)
That said, what is more important to operate the P3D is a CPU clock, that is, the CPU must be 4.5Ghz or more ... 4.3Ghz is acceptable ... it stays on the threshold.:D

1 hour ago, AnkH said:

Funny enough that we want 64bit simulators, photoreal sceneries, maximal details, wonderful weather depiction and all this stuff that sometimes even a 2019 version of a flight simulator struggles to provide properly and then we run this simulator on a operating system that appeared in October 2009, almost 10 years ago.

Sorry, no understanding for this. How one can stubbornly stick to such an old operating system that will even be end of support in less than one year and then complain about a 2019 software not running with the expected results? Do you also still use Internet Explorer 6 or the office package from back then? And a cell phone from 2009? I guess no...

I'm always willing to learn something new about the computer's operating system and its relationship to the newest flight simulator.  What specifically does Win 10 contribute to a more efficient running P3D, XP11, etc.?  Thus far, Win7 has done very well in supporting my P3Dv4.4 installation, though I have no intention of installing any TE scenery, for reasons I have stated elsewhere and for which there is no need to restate them now.  Certainly I will eventually make the upgrade to Win10, but not necessarily because P3D will run more efficiently with the new OS installed.

Thank you for your insights.

Stew

I too would like to read some comments about this Stew. I have to chuckle at some of the responses here. It's amazing to me how much lack of knowledge and misinformation is floating round these forums. I was in the IT business for almost 40 years so it's not like I don't understand the issues and problems associated with an OS and aging code. That said, Windows 7 is not, IMNSHO, the issue here. But, like you, I'm always willing to learn something new and maybe some of the folks here can enlighten us.........Doug

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on the latest hardware, and using UEFI instead of the old BIOS.  See my signature.

I would love for someone to show me the Technical reasons why Windows 10 performs better than Win 7, other than just saying Win 7 is old.

"Not supported after 2020" doesn't cut it.  If your system is up and running and you have complete backups, so what if a virus gets in, or some "vulnerability"  gets exploited, format the disks and start over. Restore on my system takes about 15 minutes.

So, for those of you that are still running Win 7, don't fret, your system is OK. Just make sure you are running Windows 7 x64 Professional or better, to access 192 gb of RAM, (Home Premium can only access 16gb). You can pickup Boxed Win 7 Ultimate on eBay, x86 and x64 together in the box, for under $100 here in AU.

The only problem we have is with the new hardware. Most manufactures don't supply drivers anymore for Win 7, but there is is a couple that still do for their new boards. Serious "Gamers" prefer Win 7 and thus a couple of manufactures still cater for the gamers needs, but you have to scratch around on their web sites to get the drivers.

I accept that I will have to go to Win 10 some day, but with my new system I should be good for another 10 years, by then I won't care too much.

Hey, I too have been at this for a long time, 45 years.

Chris.

Hello,

although it is interesting to see the various guises of heavy irony in the last few posts, whether it is intended or not,

the debate over whether Windows 7 or 10 is better for flight simulation is as tedious as the debate over which simulator is better.

The topic was not a request for help but a statement of frustration and has run its course.

Thanks to those who chose to contribute.

Archived