Sea, Estuary, Clay & Moor...

Mark Abdey

A few more flying the Spitfire over the west of Cornwall, where we just spent a lovely week... We were further west than these caps, but we pass some of  these places on our way down and back.

This part of Cornwall is a strange mix of pretty in one place and scruffy in another, the latter especially true around St. Austell and it's clay industry, where huge swathes of land have been quarried for china clay extraction, leaving vast open pits and massive pyramidal mounds of shining white waste... Beautiful it is not, but it is very interesting, as is the tin mining that has changed the landscape in the far west of the county.

Leaving Falmouth and heading over the Roseland Peninsula.

0fDK18V.jpg

Lovely light on the River Fal.

SA9qPW5.jpg

Clay country.

evIYkmu.jpg

I change the time of day here... something you can't do in real life, but as this is a sim anything goes. I love the way the changes to the TOD bring out different elements in the scenery; the lighting in XP combined with the detail and accuracy of True Earth just blows me away... everything blends so perfectly.

St. Austell to the top.

MwcRG9m.jpg

One of the blue pools just below the aircraft... it does have some beauty after all.

xnVawvc.jpg

Following the A30....

qD62z2x.jpg

... to Bodmin moor.

ELYTTs7.jpg

Devon and Dartmoor in the distance.

m4fC8OF.jpg

A photo I found online of the clay mountains...

NFobpFp.jpg

Thank you for looking.

Fantastic shots Mark. I like that you have taken the time to add explanations for readers who aren't familiar with this amazing part of the world.

Funnily enough, I am currently adding/editing greenish pools like the one in that shot from near St Austell to some open cast mines in Australia ;-)

2 minutes ago, Mark Halliwell said:

Fantastic shots Mark. I like that you have taken the time to add explanations for readers who aren't familiar with this amazing part of the world.

Funnily enough, I am currently adding/editing greenish pools like the one in that shot from near St Austell to some open cast mines in Australia ;-)

Thank you Mark... That's interesting, and something I look forward to seeing when ready. I bet the open cast mines in Australia make these look like tiny pimples?...

Wonderful stuff Mark.!

I am amazed how you are manipulating lighting perspectives in these shots. Orbx TE , XPlane and your deft touch are the perfect combination!

It's been years since I was in that part of the world.  Thank you for the commentary. It brought back some great family memories.!

Cheers

R

Absolutely stunning Mark - well done!

I've just got into XP11and True Earth and it's so much better than P3D4 with True Earth.

The textures, lighting and overall realism are a world apart.

A few questions: What Xvision settings, if any, are you using, are you using a weather programme and where can I obtain the Spitfire?

18 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Splendid set of shots.

cheers

Iain

Thank you Iain :)

18 hours ago, BradB said:

Tremendous shots Mark . :):)

Cheers

John

Ta very much John :)

18 hours ago, European Mountain Man said:

Just fantastic mark i loved all your shots and the colour is fantastic you did a good job regards EMM

Delighted you like them Stewart...

14 hours ago, Martin Poole said:

Great Shots Mark are you using Xvision ? if so what pre-set are you using cheers M

Thanks... Preset & lua attached to the bottom of this post.

12 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Magnificent shots!!!!!!!!!!

12 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

These are superior I every way Mark!  Most look like real photos, and you know they're good if I pore over them for a while.

Thanks Jack, that is very kind of you to say :)

11 hours ago, musterpilot said:

Very very nice

John

Cheers John

8 hours ago, lauriebe said:

Very nice indeed Mark.

Thank you Lauriebe.

7 hours ago, renault said:

Wonderful stuff Mark.!

I am amazed how you are manipulating lighting perspectives in these shots. Orbx TE , XPlane and your deft touch are the perfect combination!

It's been years since I was in that part of the world.  Thank you for the commentary. It brought back some great family memories.!

Cheers

R

Thank you Pete... Coming from you (XV preset maestro) that mean a lot.  It's a wonderful part of the country... atmospheric and very interesting, with an amazing art scene.  I love it!

7 hours ago, adambar said:

Top-shelf set once again Mark! :)

I appreciate the comment Adam :)

6 hours ago, cyberpilot said:

Absolutely stunning Mark - well done!

I've just got into XP11and True Earth and it's so much better than P3D4 with True Earth.

The textures, lighting and overall realism are a world apart.

A few questions: What Xvision settings, if any, are you using, are you using a weather programme and where can I obtain the Spitfire?

My XV settings, along with a lua file to modify shadows and haze is below. I'm not using any weather add-on, and simply set my own conditions in sim.... the XVision preset does come with a modified cloud texture set however.

The Spitfire is the freeware version available HERE

I do notice some slight texture anomalies with it, with some areas appearing slightly transparent... not sure if it's XV or a problem with the model and current versions of XP. If anyone has a solution let me know...  It's a fairly minor thing though.

XVision preset as used in these shots.... It a modded version of one of the default presets packaged with XV [11_30_xV_Impressive] and therefore it's not all my own work, with some values remaining unchanged... please consider it a W.I.P.  I have added a separate LUA file (Shadows) which should be added to X-Plane 11\Resources\plugins\FlyWithLua\Scripts.... It is an attempt (there may be better solutions for this that Renault has offered, which I've yet to explore ) to make the shadows less blocky, and also alter their shade depth. I've also added the 'fog be gone' parameter, but to increase the haze... as I like a lot of haze. If you don't like it, then don't use the preset, or modify this value to reduce it.

I've kept the 'Resource' pack that is included in the original preset... If you have you own textures for these elements then untick them before using this preset.

IDg5sPa.jpg

Attached files below.

Mark Abdey XPXV1.1.xvs shadows.lua

Archived