Emergency landing when dinner ready?

Hi All. How realistically do you take your flying? For example, you're mid-flight, cruising at 30,000ft, or flying VFR through the mountains, when you hear from the missus (or mister)..."dinner's ready". Do you:

A: immediately end scenario, close down, and join your other half for dinner?

B: search for the nearest airport for an emergency landing...risking cold dinner?

C: pause the flight for resumption later? 

D: request your other half to announce "dinner in 30 minutes!" to permit an orderly and timely landing at nearest airport? Or...

E: ask how long dinner will be, then choose your flight to fit the time available?

Me? I normally fly for 1-2 hours, and check that there's enough time before taking off!

Look forward to some replies,

Don.

Hey Don. I'm reminded of a video I saw some time back in which two sim enthusiasts were flying a full 737 cockpit. The guys were wearing flight uniforms. observing all correct procedures, and communicating with a very real-sounding ATC. The route, if I remember correctly, was Denver to San Francisco. It was all as professional as could be until about halfway into the flight, the stewards' Bong Bong sounded, and a voice came over the intercom, "Okay, boys, shut it down. Time for dinner." The two "professional" pilots hit pause and scurried off to wash up. LOL.

Hm.  Perhaps due to history.  I'll never miss my food....or,  even delay it.  So,  I fit my flying in around my regular meal times.  No way will I miss my wife's cooking whatever the meal is!

John

On 12/29/2018 at 3:19 PM, TerribleT said:

Indeed P and resume :D

On 12/30/2018 at 7:56 PM, flyingleaf said:

She who must be obeyed rules.:'(:unsure::lol::D

and as quickly as possible!

On 12/30/2018 at 8:04 PM, W2DR said:

I just say..... "Woman, keep my dinner warm and stop bothering me. I'll be there as soon as I've finished flying my airplane."

This man lives dangerously !

1. In most cases I reduce speed, switch the Autopilot on, take hands off the controls for a quick meal and hope for the best. Sitting at the dinner table, I can watch the cockpit mirroring in the window's glass of our living room when bending a bit in my chair, so I have a chance to notice unwanted flight attitudes. Not sure if she has an idea about me doing that.:lol:
  2. If I'm flying IFR, I simply try to finish meal before reaching TOD.

• 1 month later...

My approach has been to ensure I have enough fuel on board for an additional hour to an hour and a half. Then when these situations occur I quickly plot a holding pattern and leave the plan to go around in an oval while I have dinner or attend to other tasks that arise. I just can't bring myself to hit the pause button, seems so unrealistic!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2019 at 3:08 PM, W2DR said:

No, I'm not single. I just know how to control my woman...................

LMAO and ROFL 

Is your Doctor aware of your delusions?

I know your wife is because she allows you to keep them.  

:D:D

Interesting topic.

Since I retired, I took over the duties of being the chef, so as for a conflict between dinner ready and being in the middle of a flight, it doesn't happen.

But on the rare occasion my wife cooks i.e. when I have co-pilots around, I would not be taking advice from W2DR. My wife is Danish and you do not want to channel her Viking genes at any time. If I did not turn up when requested, she would deliver the dinner to the cockpit. I and the cockpit would then wear, it followed by a good axing.  If there was any instruments still in functional order, or myself for that matter, then she would continue on with the silent treatment for three days. 

If anyone has watched any of the episodes of 'The Vikings' you would not want to cross the women. 

I think I'll hit pause and come back when I've finished the dishes.   

10 hours ago, kingchiro said:

Interesting topic.

Since I retired, I took over the duties of being the chef, so as for a conflict between dinner ready and being in the middle of a flight, it doesn't happen.

But on the rare occasion my wife cooks i.e. when I have co-pilots around, I would not be taking advice from W2DR. My wife is Danish and you do not want to channel her Viking genes at any time. If I did not turn up when requested, she would deliver the dinner to the cockpit. I and the cockpit would then wear, it followed by a good axing.  If there was any instruments still in functional order, or myself for that matter, then she would continue on with the silent treatment for three days. 

If anyone has watched any of the episodes of 'The Vikings' you would not want to cross the women. 

I think I'll hit pause and come back when I've finished the dishes.   

Wonderful! :lol:

• 2 months later...

Archived