A Tale of 2 Sims ???

TerryM

A simple test...... we have two screen shots, each are of the same location (Orbx Broome), each have the same plane (Carenado C177), and each have real time and weather set.

But.... which do you prefer and why???

O7flQdc.png

DxWjS8t.png

Terry 

I have no idea Terry :huh:

We all have different preferences and likes and dislikes.

IMO, if the Sim meets one's personal needs and preferences - then it is a Great Sim :D

Currently, I have FSX, P3Dv4 and XP11. Fine for me - others will think differently.

Such is life! ;)

Anyway, I hope that you are enjoying the sim that you like! :D

1 hour ago, paulb said:

I have no idea Terry :huh:

We all have different preferences and likes and dislikes.

IMO, if the Sim meets one's personal needs and preferences - then it is a Great Sim :D

Currently, I have FSX, P3Dv4 and XP11. Fine for me - others will think differently.

Such is life! ;)

Anyway, I hope that you are enjoying the sim that you like! :D

I agree, and whilst I mainly fly P3D, I'm been slowly moving towards XPlane because the lighting is pretty amazing, and because I find it less of a battle to get good performance.

Whilst the latest updates to P3D 4.4 are good, I think they will be playing catch up once again as Vulcan is expected in Xplane soon and that should be a significant gain.

Terry

The first one is of course is P3D 4.4..... and out of the two, I personally think it looks the better of the two.

What surprised me is though is just how different they actually are..... given they were supposed to be the same time, same weather, same plane and same location.  

Hi Terry

I hope you don't mind what I did, but I apologize upfront to both you and other members . I do not wish to cause offense, but simply to check on a few points that may be affecting the comparison.

This is an interesting question, but the one part that I thought was missing is that both screenshots (which are excellent captures by the way:)) won't necessarily have the black and white points and white balance set the same , since they are coming from two different image rendering engines. BTW this is one of the simple things that I have found with my colour rendering in XPLane to improve things.

What I did is to download your images and I took them into Davinci Resolve (www.blackmagicdesign.com) which I use for colour editing to set these points and I also checked the colour saturation in each on the vectorscope in Resolve to ensure that each screenshot is starting from the same point.

To me, both screenshots now look equally good, so perhaps the differences are due to these points.

Thanks & Cheers for an interesting question

All the best 

Renault

usptym6.jpg

JDXlNaB.jpg

8 hours ago, renault said:

Hi Terry

I hope you don't mind what I did, but I apologize upfront to both you and other members . I do not wish to cause offense, but simply to check on a few points that may be affecting the comparison.

This is an interesting question, but the one part that I thought was missing is that both screenshots (which are excellent captures by the way:)) won't necessarily have the black and white points and white balance set the same , since they are coming from two different image rendering engines. BTW this is one of the simple things that I have found with my colour rendering in XPLane to improve things.

What I did is to download your images and I took them into Davinci Resolve (www.blackmagicdesign.com) which I use for colour editing to set these points and I also checked the colour saturation in each on the vectorscope in Resolve to ensure that each screenshot is starting from the same point.

To me, both screenshots now look equally good, so perhaps the differences are due to these points.

Thanks & Cheers for an interesting question

All the best 

Renault

Thanks for the excellent explanation there Renault :)

I also think the slight differences in the rendering engine is the issue here....... as I said, both are same date, same time, same location; and I am starting to transition myself to XPlane simply because it generally looks and performs better, the lighting is better etc. 

My point with this exercise was just to show that when all said and done, P3D 4 (and this is v4.4) still looks bloody good, and in these images I personally prefer the fuselage lighting on P3D.... although I'm sure it would have looked equally as good had the weather engine in XPlane provided the same information as the one in P3D. It wasn't a true comparison of course, my install of P3D uses Active Sky, ASCA EnvTex, and Env Shade; whereas my Xplane uses things like Ultra Weather XP,  Unique Clouds, Reshader etc

Was just interesting to see a side by side comparison and in case anyone cares..... for the record, XPlane(2) FPS was approx 10 better than P3D(1), however in each case the GPU usage never went above 65%, but I'm not too surprised in those FPS stats because P3D is rendering more here.

I would do a merge

I like the colors of the first one, but the second looks a bit more realistic

Mixing them would be a blast

What is best in X plane it that distance and depth are very well defined while in P3D you fly almost over a fat image. V4.4 seems to have improved that effect a lot

Archived