A different Ohio at San Diego

Jack Sawyer

1 minute ago, BradB said:

So that’s what they call a “subsonic” aircraft , I learn something every day around here .......:rolleyes::huh::lol:

Cheers

John

It's an Ohio class stealth "boomer" :lol:  Sorry for the goofiness but I just have to sometimes, it's like I'm living my life in reverse John! :)

6 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

You are going to try and put a dent in an otherwise mundane day Jack.:wacko:

Great imagination and it is great to 'ave a larff!

I love it!  I've been punned again.  Thanks Martyn, I got a good laugh at this one.

2 hours ago, jean marc said:

Great Jack - but nextly I hope to see same trip with a Yellow submarine ...  :unsure:

We all live in a yellow submarine
Yellow submarine, yellow submarine
We all live in a yellow submarine
Yellow submarine, yellow submarine

Thanks Jean Marc!  I wish I had one, I'd be using it all the time.  And I thought of this song too, Ringo was cool when he sang it on that album.

E flies thru the air with the greatest of ease, the daring young man in his flying submarine!?!@*# :rolleyes:  LOOK, up in the sky, it’s a bird, it’s a plane, NO, its, it’s... well we all know who it is don’t we! :lol:

2 hours ago, Wakashi said:

E flies thru the air with the greatest of ease, the daring young man in his flying submarine!?!@*# :rolleyes:  LOOK, up in the sky, it’s a bird, it’s a plane, NO, its, it’s... well we all know who it is don’t we! :lol:

:lol: Thanks Roger, I love it!!

Good landing, Jack. As always.

On 8/20/2018 at 3:49 AM, Jack Sawyer said:

And if this really IS to scale, well I'm blown away.  I've never been within 100 miles of a sub in real life, would LOVE to see a real one.  If they're this large compared to a 737 then I'm bumfuzzled!

Oh it looks indeed a bit overscaled. Haven´t you had the chance to enter some older museum subs, like the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_submarine_Wilhelm_Bauer in Bremerhaven or the Kursura in Vizak/India?

REbSjk8.jpg

3 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Nope, I've not been within at least 100 miles of any kind of sub in real life.  Would like to though.

In can remember seeing one, a big one when on the ferry from Dover to Ostend in the late 60s but no idea what it was.

This is the closest I have been to a submarine. We stopped on our way to Canberra a few years ago and my grandsons eyes nearly popped out of his head when he saw this!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMAS_Otway_(S_59)

4 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Nope, I've not been within at least 100 miles of any kind of sub in real life.  Would like to though.

Hi Jack,

Very cool - even if it is a boomer - big black and never come back... There ain’t no slack in a Fast Attack... Spent years in San Diego riding Fast Attacks out of Point Loma - my old stomping grounds - know them well... Those Ohio’s were ghost ships -  seriously - even when we had a scheduled meet - they vanished from sonar within a few boat lengths as we watched - poof - like magic - they were gone - this was when the Los Angeles Class was king - before Seawolf and Virginia... And who chose to start naming fast boats after states - oh brother - we have a legacy of boats with famous names with legendary status like Wanhoo, Tang, Flasher, Skpjack, Gato, Thresher, etc - these are proper submarine names...Fish don’t vote I guess...

Thanks for the reminder...

Regards,

Scott

54 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

In can remember seeing one, a big one when on the ferry from Dover to Ostend in the late 60s but no idea what it was.

This is the closest I have been to a submarine. We stopped on our way to Canberra a few years ago and my grandsons eyes nearly popped out of his head when he saw this!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMAS_Otway_(S_59)

Dang!  I’d have loved it too!!!

18 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Jack,

Very cool - even if it is a boomer - big black and never come back... There ain’t no slack in a Fast Attack... Spent years in San Diego riding Fast Attacks out of Point Loma - my old stomping grounds - know them well... Those Ohio’s were ghost ships -  seriously - even when we had a scheduled meet - they vanished from sonar within a few boat lengths as we watched - poof - like magic - they were gone - this was when the Los Angeles Class was king - before Seawolf and Virginia... And who chose to start naming fast boats after states - oh brother - we have a legacy of boats with famous names with legendary status like Wanhoo, Tang, Flasher, Skpjack, Gato, Thresher, etc - these are proper submarine names...Fish don’t vote I guess...

Thanks for the reminder...

Regards,

Scott

You were a submariner Scott?  Even just seeing one would amaze the heck out of me.  I watched a YT the other night on the Pennsylvania.  Holy moley what a beautiful piece of technology!!!

Archived