How the west was won

Stillwater

Ready to move further westwards, to discover some of the orbx airports I have purchased since my last virtual west coast stay. This is the plane we are going to use, seen from the coffee bar in the United lounge at Houston terminal E:

tKbJdpT.jpg

Lh4riqf.jpg

Cockpit preparations.

g5hmAVM.jpg

Hurray! Just compare the registration of the PMDG bird with the real one above. We are serious simmers, aren´t we?

J6DWsdQ.jpg

A view over Houston, from the international airport to CBD.

w9OPoZq.jpg

Texas in green.

uOdVUk9.jpg

The cockpit in nice.

doyFplo.jpg

Arizona in brown.

bM6FPtk.jpg

Imperial Dunes, while already descending. 

OkqAC4o.jpg

The Gulf of California to the left...

512xqOP.jpg

... and the Pacific ahead, at the same time.

fSvSDuw.jpg

Here you can see the use of freshwater in California.

ZOpnGiJ.jpg

And here you can see... the visibility during final approach. A pleasure to all pilots...

APxkLn1.jpg

There is no vertical guidance on this approach, and the clouds just opened seconds before landing. So I was waytoohigh and had to pull the brakes...

P2mjlte.jpg

Made it. Then overheated the brakes, which caused blocking... so there is no gate screenie today.

NlX1MHh.jpg

Glorious series from an interesting flight Gerold.

"Texas in green" is my fav here, beautiful scenery and sky not to mention the 772 of course.

I suppose there are not to many 772s in the Star Alliance livery so you have done well to replicate this flight even more accurately.:)

On 7/19/2018 at 6:47 PM, Bermuda425 said:

Spectacular mid-haul flight across the western states!

Thank you Bermuda!

On 7/19/2018 at 10:38 PM, VH-KDK said:

Glorious series from an interesting flight Gerold.

"Texas in green" is my fav here, beautiful scenery and sky not to mention the 772 of course.

I suppose there are not to many 772s in the Star Alliance livery so you have done well to replicate this flight even more accurately.:)

Thanks martyn. I join your belief that there should not be too many Star Alliance liveries in each of their airlines. Nevertheless the precision of Precision Manuals was surprising me!

22 hours ago, Wakashi said:

Dang, it's hard to tell the real from the not so real in some of those!  Simulation imitates life! :D  Excellent captures and mixture Gerold! :)

Haha, you are right. But I was really lucky to replicate some good perspectives here.

20 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

Better too high than too low, especially in KSAN... no, anywhere. Thank you for this entertaining and educating trip report. Of course, the RL cockpit photo adds this extra grain of salt to your post. Great captions!

I can tell you how anxious I was when I had no vertical guidance. And this was only a sim... At least I made the right decisions.

I like that you like the salt added to this post. I always try to collect it on my trips!

17 hours ago, adambar said:

Sensational flight and shots Gerold! :)

Thank you Adam!

13 hours ago, paulb said:

Super flight Gerold! :)

Thanks, Paul!

7 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

That was brilliant Gerold, I loved them all and always the mix of real and sim makes a huge difference.

My pleasure Jack. I like taking the real pictures just as much as virtual flying...

4 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Cracking set of shots Gerold.

cheers

Iain

Thank you, Iain!

6 hours ago, BradB said:

Back in the jump seat huh Captain Gerold ........:D:rolleyes:B):lol:

Cheers

John

The best seat on the plane - if you are only a passenger ;).

5 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

I was waiting for you in the wrong bar Gerold:angry:. Coffee Bar, what? Who in the heck goes in the Coffee before a flight I was waiting in the real bar :rolleyes:. Kidding. Great shots Gerold. Great narrative.:D

I see you know KIAH, Karl: There is no coffee bar in the United lounge, this stuff you have to grab from a machine. The bar only serves cold drinks as you like them, including real ones :D.

Archived