Meigs, the way it was.

7 minutes ago, captainbluesky said:

Nice shots Jack.  I would have really liked to have flown some circuits there.

Me too Captain.  And despite what they did, and I don’t want to bad mouth it as it’s over, it looks like it’s a nice park now.

And at least Orbx recreated it perfectly which was a great idea. 

Meigs will always have a special place in my heart, as it does for so many simmers, and I am always thankful that Orbx chose to recreate it. It's a legendary FSim location, and your pictures show it off nicely Jack :) Buffy's paint looks great as well and represents the Sawyer Effect greatly.

The weirdest thing about Meigs in its 2018 incarnation.  Don't get me wrong.. It's fantastic.. But, some of the charm and luster is gone. Here is why.. Back when Meigs was the defacto airport of MSFS the graphics were meh at best and our brains had to fill in a lot of the blanks that just weren't possible with flight sims.  As was flight simming in general. The game gave us a rough interpretation and our brains colored in and filled in the blanks of detail.

It's just weird seeing Meigs in complete HD detail and with all the little things our brains used to fill  in to complete the picture are actually there now.. 

Sorry, got all philosophical..   Great shots!

2 hours ago, Buffy Foster said:

Nice pix!  Looks like they did a real good job, and did lots of Chicago too even.   :)

Thanks Buffy!  I love it as even the terminator lis detailed inside which I used in one of my comics once.

1 hour ago, Sniper31 said:

Meigs will always have a special place in my heart, as it does for so many simmers, and I am always thankful that Orbx chose to recreate it. It's a legendary FSim location, and your pictures show it off nicely Jack :) Buffy's paint looks great as well and represents the Sawyer Effect greatly.

Thanks Landon!  I agree, I think they recreated it the way it was just before it was shut down?  I didn't do any inverted flights in the plane yet though :D

17 minutes ago, styckx said:

The weirdest thing about Meigs in its 2018 incarnation.  Don't get me wrong.. It's fantastic.. But, some of the charm and luster is gone. Here is why.. Back when Meigs was the defacto airport of MSFS the graphics were meh at best and our brains had to fill in a lot of the blanks that just weren't possible with flight sims.  As was flight simming in general. The game gave us a rough interpretation and our brains colored in and filled in the blanks of detail.

It's just weird seeing Meigs in complete HD detail and with all the little things our brains used to fill  in to complete the picture are actually there now.. 

Sorry, got all philosophical..   Great shots!

Not a problem styckx!  That's the exact reason I like the old Infocom games, now I'm really dating myself.  I don't know how many people here will know about those games but that was the day.

Beautiful shots Jack.

Look at the details in #8.

But why is the harbor so empty, see #7, located at Lake Michigan it must be a sailors paradise, but I don't have local knowledge of course.

20 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

Beautiful shots Jack.

But why is the harbor so empty, see #7, located at Lake Michigan it must be a sailors paradise, but I don't have local knowledge of course.

Leave it to the yachtsman to point out the empty harbor....Fred....Fred......:D 

1 minute ago, Sniper31 said:

Leave it to the yachtsman to point out the empty harbor....Fred....Fred......:D 

Sorry, but that was the first thing I immediately noticed when scrolling down -_-

1 minute ago, Sundancer said:

Sorry, but that was the first thing I immediately noticed when scrolling down -_-

It's all good Fred, I would expect nothing less from a Man of the Sea ;) 

7 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Super shots Jack, sad it is no longer there.

Thanks John, I agree, it is sad.

5 hours ago, Sundancer said:

Beautiful shots Jack.

Thanks Fred!  I think they went to the Netherlands for sailing training :D

4 hours ago, jotaedo said:

wow! the last one is outstanding!

Thanks jotaedo! 

1 minute ago, Ziggy said:

Excellent set of shots!

I love this airport, it’s so awesome that ORBX brought it back to life

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Ziggy!  I agree, it's one of my favorites.  Very detailed inside and out and also the surrounding area.  Well worth it.

12 minutes ago, adambar said:

Super shots of Meigs there Jack. :)   Burk Lakefront Airport (KBKL) on Lake Erie in Cleveland is very similar to Meigs, you may want to try it. :D

897zrw0.jpg

+1 - Hopefully nobody named Daley , is elected mayor anytime soon . >:(<_<

Cheers

John

1 hour ago, VH-KDK said:

Wonderful images Jack and some pretty good performance you are getting too.:)

Thanks Martyn, I was surprised by the performance too.  But it's not like that everywhere, some places on Earth are heavier hitting than others but it's all good.

Archived