Is "flight simming" injurious to our health ....?

I'm just curious ….

Since I got XPlane and have been taking on some rather more perilous journeys with weather, wind and all sorts of other things turned on.  I got to wondering if this can

be injurious to your health.

I've noticed at times when  I finally do land, that my palms are damp, my glasses are fogged up  and my fingers are cramped from gripping the joystick so tightly.:(

Sometimes I feel so tuckered out that I immediately have a nap...

I was thinking of trying VR, but now I'm not so sure :o

Cheers

Renault

I remember a flight lesson in which the instructor emphasized learning to keep a  light hand on the controls. His contention was that the harder you grip, the less accurate your input and the less impartial your decisions. Don't know whether that applies to you, renault, but it does sound like one step back from the brink might be in order. ;)

Here are a couple of things to be aware of

1. Tinnitus - Yes some of us have a pretty sweet speaker setup with surround the sound etc, but that digital replication of the engines can lead to tinnitus over long periods of exposure. To prevent this I have tossed out my former 5.1 speaker system from Logitech and now just use the cheapest $20 speakers (Left and Right only) that Logitech makes. I put it just loud enough and maybe a little louder for takeoff and back down again for climb/ cruise, but yes we love our sound systems but that can lead to a ringing in your ears over time, and if your have been noticing that then that would be tinnitus.

2. Eyesight - We are now seeing in increase in the number of young people with eyesight degrading due to too much screen exposure. Flight Simmers also love big screens and multiple screens, so if you are finding over the years your glasses getting a little thicker this could also be a contributor.

3. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Yes if you white knuckle a few too many landings you can cause some damage in this area too, learn to relax your grip. 

I think these are the three big ones and yes they are things to think about, so if you find you are spending a lot of time in the sim you could end up with a ringing in your ears, and very thick glasses, and not much of a grip on things :D

Cheers

I have found flight simming to be very therapeutic as a form of escaping the real life troubles, so it is keeping some form of sanity.

It is a great form of relaxation watching the ORBX world slipping by weather I am going low and slow or going for a 2 hour tubeliner flight across Europe.

I also get very engrossed in doing a landing, they are all challenging for me but I enjoy the satisfaction of a good one.

The blood pressure does rise when I have just paid some of my hard earned on something that doesn't work or do as it says it will.

1 hour ago, Matthew Kane said:

Here are a couple of things to be aware of

1. Tinnitus - Yes some of us have a pretty sweet speaker setup with surround the sound etc, but that digital replication of the engines can lead to tinnitus over long periods of exposure. To prevent this I have tossed out my former 5.1 speaker system from Logitech and now just use the cheapest $20 speakers (Left and Right only) that Logitech makes. I put it just loud enough and maybe a little louder for takeoff and back down again for climb/ cruise, but yes we love our sound systems but that can lead to a ringing in your ears over time, and if your have been noticing that then that would be tinnitus.

2. Eyesight - We are now seeing in increase in the number of young people with eyesight degrading due to too much screen exposure. Flight Simmers also love big screens and multiple screens, so if you are finding over the years your glasses getting a little thicker this could also be a contributor.

3. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Yes if you white knuckle a few too many landings you can cause some damage in this area too, learn to relax your grip. 

I think these are the three big ones and yes they are things to think about, so if you find you are spending a lot of time in the sim you could end up with a ringing in your ears, and very thick glasses, and not much of a grip on things :D

Cheers

1.My ears already ring from too much loud music and headphones in my younger days. When the wife is at work my speakers are turned up very loud. I have my trusty Logitec Z623 speakers which give great sound and sound is very important to me.;)

2.A family trait is failing eyesight so I cannot really blame my eyesight entirely on screen over use!:lol:

3.The damage to my knuckles could be down to another family trait and not too many scary landings, that being them dragging on the ground!:o

Back in my early twenties my vision went myopic and I had glasses like the bottom of a Millers bottle.  After a while, with the advent of the poly lens and indexing to thin them out, it all became part of the routine.  Last year I submitted to technology and had cataracts removed and new lenses installed.  Instant 20x20 but what to do with it.  Distant vision belongs to an earlier time - flying and all that stuff.  Now I have computer glasses, reading glasses but every once in a while I get to see and read a sign that essentially never existed before.

On 5/21/2018 at 12:12 AM, VH-KDK said:

1.My ears already ring from too much loud music and headphones in my younger days. When the wife is at work my speakers are turned up very loud. I have my trusty Logitec Z623 speakers which give great sound and sound is very important to me.;)

2.A family trait is failing eyesight so I cannot really blame my eyesight entirely on screen over use!:lol:

3.The damage to my knuckles could be down to another family trait and not too many scary landings, that being them dragging on the ground!:o

Dragging your knuckles for emergency braking is not recommended.  Their replacement cost would probably exceed the costs of just letting the thing run into the boonies.

Don't forget the atrophied leg muscles and lower body joint pain that is caused by spending way too much time sitting in front of our computers.

My cardiologist has given up trying to convince me that flight simming is bad for my health and that I should go for long walks instead of flying.

What a dumb idea. 

If I didn't know that I am going to need at least one more stint I would tell him where to get off.  :rolleyes:

Dale

The flight controller (joystick/yoke) should be held thus:

1. As tightly as you would hold a sparrow in your hand to stop it flying away

2. Not so tight that it would be crushed

End of...

20 hours ago, Fizzelle said:

The flight controller (joystick/yoke) should be held thus:

1. As tightly as you would hold a sparrow in your hand to stop it flying away

2. Not so tight that it would be crushed

End of...

I will say this as PC as possible on here but my old flight instructor was an old Austrian guy and not very PC at all. His way of saying it involved an activity with a female partner so to speak but I won't use his actual words, but yes a gentle touch, be nice to her and she will bring you home safe. I nearly fell over hearing him say it  :lol:

I will say, I've never been so frightened while flight simming as I was the other day flying in the 'Duke' through heavy clouds with thunder and lightening and heavy rain.

The wind and turbulance was so fierce I couldn't rely on the autopilot and had to fly the plane manually.  At one stage the 'plane lost 3-4000' in seconds.   On approach getting down was a real problem but I managed to land it on the runway...just.

Don't want that again.  I've adjusted the settings!

I know its a game but for that moment in time my brain was so addled that it seemed real and important that I get us down safely.

Stupid I know.  I have the same when I read.  I'm right there and completely lost to the real world.

John

Yes JohnY, you're right.

Part of the beauty of flight simming is that if you crash, the only thing that gets hurt is your ego.  That said, the ego really hurts bad!

But this points to why Flight Sim is good for us old coots.  It keeps us sharp.  We operated complex machines in all kinds of conditions, especially when using real-world weather with programs like AS16.  If we belong to a VATSIM network or use an AI ATC program like VoxATC we have to hear, comprehend, and repeat instructions.  Then there is eye-hand coordination.  Nothing like a strong crosswind coming into a short, narrow runway for a challenge. In all, I think Flight Sim is a challenging mental exercise that helps keep our minds sharp.  And the more realism we dial in, the better.

Ken Q

Yes Ken you're right.  And don't tell my wife but I have a really beautiful Co-pilot I've named Sue and she does all my ATC communications for me using  On Course Software.;)

John

How dare you Lawrence?!  I stopped gardening as soon as I could afford a gardener.  Now, what I could do, except that it would infuriate my wife would be to read my Kindle more.  I've been addicted to reading since my Mum taught me to read when I was a really young boy and reading Micky Mouse comics and later the 'Champion. magazine that usually had about three of four short stories.  Then during the war when all we could do was listen to the wireless and read in the evenings.

The trouble is, when I read my wife complains I'm somewhere else and completely oblivious to everything and everybody around me.

That's a point Dale.  Note to self; 'Strap yourself in......whatever you're doing!';D

John

I'm sure you've got everything under control, John.

While real airplane driving has been described as "long periods of boredom interrupted by moments of stark terror", simmers need only to worry about moments of stark laughter..

I really enjoy simming…..nobody is shooting at me anymore since ORBX doesn't appear to have any antiaircraft capability.

(not trying to give them any ideas, though) 

'ORBX doesn't appear to have any antiaircraft capability'

Blimey!  Don't even mention that Lawrence.  If flight simming was ever turned into a war game they could count me out.  For obvious reasons I never play and will never play anything to do with war.

John

I combine many of your comments in my body:  a full scale instrument approach in poor weather and fresh winds sends my blood pressure up.  As I am medicated to keep BP down, this is probably a contradiction.  Maybe instead of falling of the twig I will fall out of my chair.  I suspect SWMBO would not be surprised, although she says not one of my kids or grandkids is the the least interested in my retro-hobby, so disposing of this rig will be hard to do. 

But I agree with whoever said that expensive and non-functional add-ons are the greatest cause of physical distress.  Every Orbx works perfectly, but FSDT airports have no buildings, and FSLabs 320 gives only black and blank gauges:  others do not draw complete and connected lines on the ND, etc etc.  

On the other hand my favourites still work well and the only cause of fear is my mishandling of the aircraft usually on approach.  Virtual and Real death is close.

13 hours ago, macca22au said:

I combine many of your comments in my body:  a full scale instrument approach in poor weather and fresh winds sends my blood pressure up.  As I am medicated to keep BP down, this is probably a contradiction.  Maybe instead of falling of the twig I will fall out of my chair.  I suspect SWMBO would not be surprised, although she says not one of my kids or grandkids is the the least interested in my retro-hobby, so disposing of this rig will be hard to do. 

But I agree with whoever said that expensive and non-functional add-ons are the greatest cause of physical distress.  Every Orbx works perfectly, but FSDT airports have no buildings, and FSLabs 320 gives only black and blank gauges:  others do not draw complete and connected lines on the ND, etc etc.  

On the other hand my favourites still work well and the only cause of fear is my mishandling of the aircraft usually on approach.  Virtual and Real death is close.

I'm impressed with your deep analysis and philosophical take on the flight sim experience.

Well, I consider that I am probably on my last decade so I have decided that my prime directive is to be as happy as I can be and regardless of what others say I just don't worry about it anymore. 

Do I really care what happens to my rig and my possessions after I am gone?  NO.

No longer my problem.  

Dale

On 6/1/2018 at 5:08 PM, macca22au said:

When being a grumpy old fart is my happiness, how can I resolve the dilemma:  come on Rev, step up and help sort this contradictory world of mine.

Sometimes being a grumpy old fart can be delightful.

Dale

On 5/29/2018 at 8:28 AM, Ken Q said:

Part of the beauty of flight simming is that if you crash, the only thing that gets hurt is your ego.  That said, the ego really hurts bad!

jajajaja very identify with the concept :D

Dunno about anyone else, but at 0046 is the only time I'm reasonably certain I'm going to get an uninterrupted 10 minutes for an approach.  I've learned to keep the things we'll trimmed so that when I come back from a pause of necessity I'm not trying to remember where I was holding the stick.

Carpal tunnel type symptoms is an occasional annoyance, so I have to take a few days off.  That doesn't do me any harm...

Hi Mikel

Get your hands seen to.  The operation is well worthwhile.  I had both my hands done on the same day and watched the surgeon doing it.

Led to some interesting moments for some days after involving my wife and backside.  now my hands feel normal, without the pain and can do everything asked of them.

Well worth the cost!

John

15 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Sounds like those of us who are truly dedicated to the flight sim experience regularly flirt with hearth attacks in the wee hours. Respects to you.

Here's a tip.

Several years ago I read a report that was published in the Lancet about a study done in England following over 5,000 people for several years proved that a glass of water at bedtime reduced those early AM heart attacks by around 40 percent and almost completely stopped waking up to those  &%$#!@!!!  calf charlie horses.

I have had that glass of water ever since.

Waking up to pee ( something we are going to do anyway ) is a much better alternative to waking up in severe pain and scaring the hell out of your family.

Dale

Now that really is a pain in the butt Dale.  Unfortunately. I'm quite familiar with that too, probably due to the glass of water before bed!

Me.  I prefer to wake up alive!:smile:

John

On 6/3/2018 at 3:06 PM, Rodger Pettichord said:

Sounds like those of us who are truly dedicated to the flight sim experience regularly flirt with hearth attacks in the wee hours. Respects to you.

Not me Rodger. My wife says I don't have a heart.:rollmyeyes: 

On 6/4/2018 at 6:54 AM, Gypsy Pilot said:

Here's a tip.

Several years ago I read a report that was published in the Lancet about a study done in England following over 5,000 people for several years proved that a glass of water at bedtime reduced those early AM heart attacks by around 40 percent and almost completely stopped waking up to those  &%$#!@!!!  calf charlie horses.

I have had that glass of water ever since.

Waking up to pee ( something we are going to do anyway ) is a much better alternative to waking up in severe pain and scaring the hell out of your family.

Dale

Hey, Dale you better off to drink beer. They tell me there is poop in the water.

• 1 month later...

I like London water.  Its just the right hardness.  The water where we live is very soft and it's ererke!

It does have one saving grace though.  Our pipes and equipment never get furred up.

John

Archived