Some freebies in P3Dv4

Adam Banks

14 minutes ago, Victoroos said:

Your pta I presume adam? Nice shots! Such soft clouds. Whose are they?

Yes - it's my "current" preset (26_02), which I have to say I haven't tweaked for what seems like *ages*! I keep thinking I should maybe take the saturation down a notch or two, but we've had a long, hot *bright* summer here in NZ and those are pretty well the colours I see when I escape my "man cave".

The clouds are REX SF3D - usually with a fixed weather theme. Sometimes I let OPUS, ActiveSky or REX have a go at injecting some fun stuff - but generally I find it easier to use a theme for screenshotting.

Adam.

Great Adam! Especially this one.

The Victor indeed is a mighty machine which I unfortunately have photographed only just once.

The Spartan a poor man's Herc? Oh my friend, not at all! :) I've seen the Spartan doing things a Herc can only dream of. ;)

I'm talking rolls and loopings here. Now that is not important of course for a cargo plane but it demonstrates the strength of the air frame.

It's a special ops wet dream! :lol:

8 hours ago, bvdboomen said:

The Spartan a poor man's Herc? Oh my friend, not at all! :) I've seen the Spartan doing things a Herc can only dream of. ;)

"Poor man's Herc"? Hahah ... yes. Certainly "tongue in cheek"! I saw one displayed at RIAT (Fairford) a good few years ago ... it was impressive, to say the least!

7 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Great views of the Spartan too. Here putting on an impressive display at Avalon.

That's a lovely shot. I wonder if I'll ever make it to that show!!!

Thanks for the nice comments, folks!

Adam.

1 hour ago, Adam Banks said:

That's a lovely shot. I wonder if I'll ever make it to that show!!!

Adam.

This just after the Christchurch Earthquake:( so the RNZAF 757 didn't make it and the RAAF C-17 left mid morning on the Saturday to help out.

The Spartan was very impressive though and performed some amazing stunts.

18 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

Yes - it's my "current" preset (26_02), which I have to say I haven't tweaked for what seems like *ages*! I keep thinking I should maybe take the saturation down a notch or two, but we've had a long, hot *bright* summer here in NZ and those are pretty well the colours I see when I escape my "man cave".

The clouds are REX SF3D - usually with a fixed weather theme. Sometimes I let OPUS, ActiveSky or REX have a go at injecting some fun stuff - but generally I find it easier to use a theme for screenshotting.

Adam.

Aahh. I see, yeah, I have some problems with the preset. as in black terrain etc. but ah well. Will get back to it, because it still looks really really impressive! :D.

hehe, man cave, hehehe. yeah, sun is strong outside.. too strong sometimes.. even here in NL :P. BUt social world is outside, so a difficult balance;)

hmhm, yeah, more stable with a theme it is. I find that when using a theme REX doesn't make it as nice as when using real weather.. but ah well.

Fantastic shots Adam and it is a lovely Aircraft. Worked on them in the 60’s some time 15 Sqadron RAF Cottesmore,  Happy days. Right that’s  enough reminiscing where did you get the aircraft and how do you get it into P3Dv4. Thanks Derek.

17 hours ago, Dadtom65 said:

Fantastic shots Adam and it is a lovely Aircraft. Worked on them in the 60’s some time 15 Sqadron RAF Cottesmore,  Happy days. Right that’s  enough reminiscing where did you get the aircraft and how do you get it into P3Dv4. Thanks Derek.

Derek - I have a "home-grown" method for installing legacy aircraft outside P3D root. That way, if it all turns to custard, I haven't stuffed up my P3D or left a whole heap of incompatible effects and gauges mixed in with the current stuff.

I've  written it all up here: http://www.nzfsim.org/index.php?dsp=P3D

Don't be put off by the apparent complexity of what you see. It's just written in great detail. The actual procedure takes seconds, once you've done a couple.

I think I got the Victor from Rikoooo, but I think it lives in other places too. If you're using the Rikoooo self-installer (which I *hate*) point it at a temporary folder, copy the folder, then uninstall it via the Windows CP. That should leave a copy of the files in their correct hierarchy which you can then copy over to your custom add-on aircraft folder in P3D.

Adam.

Just been looking at your pics again and see the second image, see all those little windows on the front, well when one of our aircraft was getting ready to be set up for a QRA stint, which was Quick Readynes Alert which meant the aircraft had a full fuel load and an Atomic bomb in the bay ready for a quick departure. Those little windows had to be covered and it was small panels that you had to slot in at the top in the cockpit and then try to slide them right down to the bottom of the windows and then another one after that so that all the pilot had to see out was a tiny gap to see out of and even that would have been covered if they had to drop the bomb. Even the window that you see at the bottom was covered to protect the crew from the bomb flash. Scary days back then. Derek.

Scary indeed! I was in the CCF at the time and spent one summer camp at RAF Coningsby - which had Vulcans (also on QRA). What they omitted to tell us that they periodically/randomly ran scrambles (nobody involved was to know that it was only a drill). 4am one morning and all the sirens went off and the Vulcans got airborne (fast!!!). We really thought the balloon had gone up. In the days before mobile phones etc., we all felt totally isolated - wondering whether to look for the dreaded brown paper bags or just calmly wait to die. Coningsby would have been a priority target, I suspect.

To relieve the boredom (and the stress), the Vulcan pilots were allowed to ferry us hapless cadets around in an assortment of old Chipmunks. To say they "let off steam" is a bit of an understatement! All credit to the crews (and to the RAF in general): they treated us really well and we always had a great time. All for free. Those were the days!

BTW: For those people lucky enough to have seen a Vulcan at an air show - just imagine what six of them would sound like taking off - *fully laden*. We once stood at the end of the runway during another scramble. You didn't so much hear the sound - you felt it. Every organ in your body vibrated! We could understand why the use of subsonic sound weaponry has been banned by the Geneva convention.

1 hour ago, Adam Banks said:

Scary indeed! I was in the CCF at the time and spent one summer camp at RAF Coningsby - which had Vulcans (also on QRA). What they omitted to tell us that they periodically/randomly ran scrambles (nobody involved was to know that it was only a drill). 4am one morning and all the sirens went off and the Vulcans got airborne (fast!!!). We really thought the balloon had gone up. In the days before mobile phones etc., we all felt totally isolated - wondering whether to look for the dreaded brown paper bags or just calmly wait to die. Coningsby would have been a priority target, I suspect.

To relieve the boredom (and the stress), the Vulcan pilots were allowed to ferry us hapless cadets around in an assortment of old Chipmunks. To say they "let off steam" is a bit of an understatement! All credit to the crews (and to the RAF in general): they treated us really well and we always had a great time. All for free. Those were the days!

BTW: For those people lucky enough to have seen a Vulcan at an air show - just imagine what six of them would sound like taking off - *fully laden*. We once stood at the end of the runway during another scramble. You didn't so much hear the sound - you felt it. Every organ in your body vibrated! We could understand why the use of subsonic sound weaponry has been banned by the Geneva convention.

Cool but scary story Adam, same thing without the free flights happened to me when I was in the UK, unannounced all the F-111's from Victor Alert left, we all thought it was over.  Very scary indeed.

Archived