MacRobertson Air Race leg 12

Jack Sawyer

Well, I'm loving this recreation of the MacRobertson Air Race.  We're now over some very interesting and lovely terrain.

Most of this flight was over water though but I love doing them.

This leg was from Calcutta, VECC to Rangoon, VYYY.

HlUThqU.jpg

GPsFK5b.jpg

R9CzvHd.jpg

I21Tb33.jpg

Miles and miles of open ocean, good thing we have four engines!

ZuyyS19.jpg

UIRL58o.jpg

itAk1v0.jpg

zREku85.jpg

iU2lFoW.jpg

Will soon be making our descent

0dePS7Y.jpg

34JL7Oe.jpg

I gotta say, Orbx Global and Vector really are excellent!

CCsx1Ey.jpg

wHaHN5I.jpg

L5R5GzE.jpg

There's the airport

KWij28t.jpg

ckEDVNE.jpg

PZkg22f.jpg

Zsx7GsK.jpg

This landing was perfect, the passengers loved it.

jQxlKg3.jpg

4 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

There are indeed some great shots in here of this leg of your race Jack. Look forward to more, and I am getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger on the Connie. 

Thanks Landon!  Next stop is Bangkok so @VH-KDK Martyn will know the area well!  And Landon, you will love the Connie, it has so many neat features.

Just now, VH-KDK said:

Enthralling flight Jack and some wonderful scenery in this leg with those mountains next to the coast.

I shall look  out for your next leg when you got to some familiar territory for me.:D

Thanks Martyn, I thought you'd be keen to see Thailand, me too!  Never been there in real life or the sim.

Very nice shots from leg 12 of your race Jack!  Just reading about this race on wiki, pretty interesting stuff.  How much more do you like before you are finished?  Looks like a bit of fun, especially since you can do it from an armchair! :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, BradB said:

Wonderful shots from some very lovely countryside Jack . :):)

Cheers

John

Thanks John, it's starting to look much nicer after all that desert.

1 hour ago, Wakashi said:

Very nice shots from leg 12 of your race Jack!  Just reading about this race on wiki, pretty interesting stuff.  How much more do you like before you are finished?  Looks like a bit of fun, especially since you can do it from an armchair! :rolleyes:

Thanks Roger!  It is interesting isn't it?  They did this so long ago in planes that were unreliable and no real technology, they had some guts back then.  How much more?  Well:

Rangoon to Bangkok

Bangkok to Alor Star

Alor Star to Singapore

Singapore to Batavia

Batavia to Rambang

Rambang to Koepang

Koepang to Darwin

Darwin to Newcastle Waters

Newcastle Waters to Cloncurry

Cloncurry to Charleville

Charleville to Narromine

Narromine to Melbourne

Just now, Eugene Kremlev said:

Wow, Jack again flies on Connie! Excellent works! But yet take-off in very high mode for MP for normally situation. Even for full loading always — around 40". :)

Thanks Eugene, and you're absolutely correct.  You really know this plane!  Very good.

Once again the weather depiction is excellent, Jack, don´t change anything on that setting.

We know the gaps in this global scenery, but the impression of the countries is already satisfying.

20 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Miles and miles of open ocean, good thing we have four engines!

Indeed, one of the best 3-engined planes ever!

14 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Once again the weather depiction is excellent, Jack, don´t change anything on that setting.

We know the gaps in this global scenery, but the impression of the countries is already satisfying.

Indeed, one of the best 3-engined planes ever!

:lol:  What happened to the fourth?

Thanks Gerold!

Just now, Stillwater said:

Sure you know the engines of the Connie were so unreliable that she was called "the best three-motored plane in the world"...

:lol:  I think I heard that somewhere before.  But when I fly I let the other two guys run the engines, it's way too much to juggle for one guy. :o

18 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Rangoon to Bangkok

Bangkok to Alor Star

Alor Star to Singapore

Singapore to Batavia

Batavia to Rambang

Rambang to Koepang

Koepang to Darwin

Darwin to Newcastle Waters

Newcastle Waters to Cloncurry

Cloncurry to Charleville

Charleville to Narromine

Narromine to Melbourne

I just popped in relatively late in Jack's famous race to recognize it, because I did not know it by the name 'Macrobertson air race'.

In The Netherlands this race is well known by the name 'London - Melbourne race' and still very famous, because one of the two Dutch KLM planes, the 'Uiver' (DC-2) won the overall handicap price.

Even today, most Dutch people (no, not the youngsters.... of course) know the name 'Uiver'.

Don't know if a link to a movie was already posted, otherwise here's one:

Very nice shots Jack, it's a chance we have the Orbx platform to fly around there as it adds a lot of features. The Connie is very interesting. It must take some time to get used to the ultra realistic A2A version.

1 minute ago, Orbxtreme said:

Very nice shots Jack, it's a chance we have the Orbx platform to fly around there as it adds a lot of features. The Connie is very interesting. It must take some time to get used to the ultra realistic A2A version.

Thanks Francois!  It is a very complex plane and it would take me a very long time to learn to fly it without the copilot.  I'm used to modern jets so these radial engines that need three pilots would be difficult to control single handedly but it can be done.  As I type this I'm making another leg, I made the Rangoon to Bangkok leg a little while ago, refueled and now I'm making the Bangkok to Alor Star leg.  Great fun and very interesting to see the terrain change so dramatically.  And at present I'll be flying over a couple hundred miles of open ocean.

14 minutes ago, Aussie123 said:

Just wondered what FL you selected for the trip Jack?

Have you hit bad weather over the tropics yet and what would you FL options be then?

Aussie

Hi Aussie, I usually fly at 12K feet and if there's bad turbulence I'll go up to 14K feet.  No particular reason.

Archived