EU Netherlands TrueEarth in Aerofly FS2 using Oculus Rift + Touch

Hello all,

Just a quick developer diary video showing an alpha build of EU Netherlands TrueEarth running on an ASUS laptop (i7, 1080GTX) using the Oculus Rift and Touch controllers after IPACS patched AFS2 today to add hand gesture support. There was nothing to tweak or set up, it all worked perfectly out of the box.

Apologies for the rough video shoot from my iPhone and the shakey cam ;)

EDIT: I realised that Phil had not quite selected the right area in the alpha build so there was no autogen there yet, so I jumped into the sim myself and had a quick spin around Groningen:

Enjoy!

We'll be posting more previews from Orbx Netherlands for AFS2 soon!

I can't believe my lying eyes JV!  I'm really looking forward to VR and with the hand equipment it makes it all the more realistic.  This is beyond what I could ever have dreamed of back in the 80's.

Can't wait to see the Gold Coast and Netherlands hopefully soon, funds raring and ready to go.

Cheers!

Incredible. My impatience for PNW AFS2 grows and grows. Imagine doing challenging bush strip landings in full VR. Netherlands is looking excellent too. It would be fun following the roads around the different cities there. VR is such an amazing way to experience VFR. AFS2 still has a way to go with IFR but no doubt when they complete features related to that area it will also be good fun.

Just installed my Oculus Rift in AFS2 and I'm quite impressed by the realism and immersion, and now have to setup the VR hands. Excited to see ORBX as enthousiastic as we are. Waiting for the new ORB scenery coming out for AFS2, wallet ready!.

Cheers, Ed

Cool! Like the hands but like the scenery even more! Can’t wait for it! Looking great! And great to see it in AFS2 already too! Since FTX Netherlands will be released for P3D first I didn’t really expect to see any video’s of the region in AFS2 already! :) Hope to see it on my PC soon! ;)

Guest Colin M

Awesome, glad I bought the touch controllers for my Rift now, not had much use out of them thus far.

Looking forward to the Netherlands scenery too, lived near the Dutch/German border for three years ... its all coming together nicely flight sim wise :D

Guest Colin M
12 hours ago, Asheroo said:

Incredible. My impatience for PNW AFS2 grows and grows. Imagine doing challenging bush strip landings in full VR. Netherlands is looking excellent too. It would be fun following the roads around the different cities there. VR is such an amazing way to experience VFR. AFS2 still has a way to go with IFR but no doubt when they complete features related to that area it will also be good fun.

Yup, I'm definitely in for AFS2 PNW too.

I used to ride 100+ miles a week on my Specialized Venge Di2 but sadly my osteoarthritis in my knees stopped me from continuing and I now work out in the gym three days a week with low-impact core training. The Venge went to my brother-in-law who rides 200 miles at a time for a giggle including over Portsdown Hill.

3 hours ago, John Venema said:

I used to ride 100+ miles a week on my Specialized Venge Di2 but sadly my osteoarthritis in my knees stopped me from continuing and I now work out in the gym three days a week with low-impact core training. The Venge went to my brother-in-law who rides 200 miles at a time for a giggle including over Portsdown Hill.

Specialized is the brand of bike I have been riding for several years now JV, although mine is not a Di2...I love cycling, and will get in over a hundred miles a week in spring and summer. I would buy Specialized again in a heartbeat. That bike has been great to me. I would love to cycle in the U.K. Cycled in Italy for ten days, and loved that! I have always heard how much cycling is embraced in England and I would love to ride with you all, especially if there is a pint involved ;) 

1 minute ago, slipstream said:

You’re always welcome to stay at mine Sniper. I’ll show you the sights. Beautiful they are too. And a couple of nice pubs en route. Lol. 

That is a wonderful offer slipstream, and one I will really have to look into... I do retire this year, after 28 years of service, so that could be a nice retirement trip. 

Like Benny, I fly 90% Aerofly FS2 with FSX thrown in for a change because of it's big range of airports at the moment and because it's FSX after all.  Personally, I am extremely glad I took this path as it's so exciting to see these new additions to AFS2

As yet I have not bought the VR glasses, I can't wait to get it, then to see those ghostly hands this morning on this post just leaves me astounded.  What else awaits us in the future.

On top of this, we are being well looked after by the Dr. (drhotwing1),  no job too big for him to fix believe me.

Good luck Orbx and IPACS you really growing at a phenomenal rate.

Jim.

I didn’t no, and don’t suffer from motion sickness in VR, but not everyone has the same experience. It’s best to give it a try at a trade show (we will be showing Aerofly FS2 with this Oculus setup at FSExpo 2018 in Vegas in June) or in a store that allows demos.

I think the main issue with motion sickness here occurs if you “pan” horizontally. That gives me an instant queasy feeling, and eventually a headache. General flying, banking, pitching, etc are fine as long as they aren’t too sudden, but the brain definitely doesn’t like being rotated horizontally when it knows the body isn’t turning. 

I spend some time in the big sims (so not HMD) and it is the same there. Everything is fine until you do rapid taxi turns on the ground.

When we get the next gen headsets with better resolution it is going to be the future for many, I think.

Great preview - with a nice personal touch! Thanks John!

Britjet

Getting motion sick, or any other unpleasant side effects, is very personal. Giving VR a try on a show or in a shop is a good idea but take note that initial problems, if they occur, may be overcome after a while. And also take note that other problems may arise only later on. I myself have been using VR for half a year without ever getting motion sickness but over time I noticed VR didn't really help with my visual migraine... It's a new tech and no one knows already what it can do to you. Anyway, giving it a try is specially a good idea in order to see how the resolution is and the field of view but if you want to know if you can really stand VR you will have to use it for a few days or preferably weeks. 

@Sniper31If you make your way up to the Rochester, Kent area, there is somewhere here too, plus i have an oculus to play with lol. My latest plaything however is the JF Tornado and have to tell you, the mach loop and some lovely terrain following around the lake district is a lot of fun and add to that the Rift it is AMAZING.

2018-2-24_7-44-11-268.jpg

14 hours ago, Paul Rose said:

@Sniper31If you make your way up to the Rochester, Kent area, there is somewhere here too, plus i have an oculus to play with lol. My latest plaything however is the JF Tornado and have to tell you, the mach loop and some lovely terrain following around the lake district is a lot of fun and add to that the Rift it is AMAZING.

2018-2-24_7-44-11-268.jpg

Have you flown in DCS World with the ORCV1? It is truly amazing. Rochester, great place. Love the golden mile drink sesh. I was posted there with the Engrs.  

8 hours ago, slipstream said:

Have you flown in DCS World with the ORCV1? It is truly amazing. Rochester, great place. Love the golden mile drink sesh. I was posted there with the Engrs.  

I have DCS World, but have not logged much time in it to be honest. I know it is a good sim, but I just don;t have the time to devote to it properly.

Archived