Why do I still have FSX installed?

Triplane

Haha yeah I'm in the process of putting together a new PC with the intention of making the switch from FSX to P3D but the thought has crossed my mind that it is pretty nice is one sense that with FSX I never have to worry about a new update breaking any of my add-ons.  Or itself for that matter.

18 minutes ago, gdavid said:

Haha yeah I'm in the process of putting together a new PC with the intention of making the switch from FSX to P3D but the thought has crossed my mind that it is pretty nice is one sense that with FSX I never have to worry about a new update breaking any of my add-ons.  Or itself for that matter.

Welcome to the forum(s). I've had every version of every flightsim since the beginning. And I've finally become tired of chasing the updates. I have all the sliders maxxed in FSX. The framerate is set at 60 (monitor refresh) and I'm a happy simmer. I've always been into flying the airplane...navigation and procedures. Never been a fan of eye-candy. In that regard FSX is still the king..........Doug

I too still have FSX/Accel Doug. It works great!

But, with all of my Orbx scenery and other add ons now working well in P3Dv4, I find that I use it less and less. Nowadays I only go there if I want to fly an 'older' aircraft such as a FS9 portover.

Both FSX and P3D are on separate 1TB drives.

I suspect that when P3Dv5 is released then I might finally abandon FSX. 

I plan on going with both, at least for awhile.  I've been flight simming on and off with Microsoft Flight Simulator since my Commodore 64 days (though I guess technically that was subLOGIC).  I can't imagine ever totally abandoning the program that has always be the first one I think of when some one says "flight simulation."

Yeah I'm still running FSX(SE), along with P3D V3 and P3DV4.  I have a lot of scenery and aircraft that have not been updated to work in P3D, so that's the main reason for keeping FSX around.  FSX is running better than ever so I don't see myself getting rid of it any time soon.

Cheers,

Unfortunately, I don't have P3D.  I really would like to stay with FSX but I am extremely happy with Aerofly FS2.  I will have to make a decision soon though, as one of the last scenery out was available for FSX and AFS2 and they both cost the same amount.  I cannot afford this kind of money so one is going to have to go.  

For me, sadly, I think that will end a long association with FSX.

On 2/21/2018 at 6:37 PM, gdavid said:

I plan on going with both, at least for awhile.  I've been flight simming on and off with Microsoft Flight Simulator since my Commodore 64 days (though I guess technically that was subLOGIC).  I can't imagine ever totally abandoning the program that has always be the first one I think of when some one says "flight simulation."

Wow..seriously...not even for this

r6mJqcE.png

I have V4.0, bought the Aerosoft CRJ, doesn't work with V4.0.... it need 4.1 :angry:

I also hate to chase update and I hate how P3D work as to update.

So I use Aerofly... update are automatic, how can P3D be the same... It's ridiculous that such a big company-product doesn't have easy update.

Yea I miss FSX sometime.

Ben

Hello Ben,

the P3D update is about as easy as it is possible to be.

1. download the client version that you want, all three are available on the account page.

2. uninstall the client version, do not deregister P3D.

3. install the new client version.

Total time, how long it takes you to download 194 mb (4.0), 201 mb (4.1) or 273 mb (4.2),

plus two minutes to uninstall and reinstall.

6 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Ben,

1. download the client version that you want, all three are available on the account page.

Total time, how long it takes you to download 194 mb (4.0), 201 mb (4.1) or 273 mb (4.2),

I'll give this a try. Thanks Nick

Ben

15 hours ago, keino333 said:

Wow..seriously...not even for this

Oh don't get me wrong, I doubt I'll spend nearly as much time with FSX as I will with P3D once I make the switch.  If that time moves to the zero mark though it'll probably have to go.

My reasons:

DC-9

MD-11

Cub

Spitfire

P-51

P-40

B-377

A318-320

B737NG (finances, and NG3 is coming, hopefully this decade...)

B777 (finances...)

B732 (finances...)

B727

B707

BAe-146

OK... it doesn't get used as much as V4.  But it has its place.

I really appreciate the scenery makers, such as our host, who support both platforms on the one licence, even if the FSX versions need their settings reigned in.

I guess I'm lucky that I'm new enough at it that I didn't have tons of stuff, just lots of Orbx and like 4 planes (and they all work in P3D v4) so switching from FSX was really easy and so I uninstalled it a couple weeks ago.   Yay for Orbx for making their scenery work for both and not charging us more to switch!! :)

It will be nice to see some Orbx scenery for FSW; I like the mission packs it has that are fun and challenging (for me anyway).  I just hope its done through FTX Central, not as Steam DLC.

Guest Colin M

The reason I still have FSX installed ... I actually have FSX Acceleration and P3Dv4 on same PC is for the same reason many have mentioned here, also I love the missions that came with FSX and then Acceleration ... some of them are really challenging flying and were really cleverly done IMHO ... I'm sort of OCD perfectionist that way and still working on the few hardest ones, once they are completed I'll probably dump FSX in preference for P3D v 4    5 or whatever version it extends to.

I have FSX Steam on another PC too, keep it because Dovetail churn out missions for this platform only, but to be honest, their missions are not so good IMHO, even the pay-ware ones.

Other reasons to cling on to FSX for a while too is, and as mentioned before, it all works, its as refined as it gets and you would not need to upgrade software or hardware again if it all works for you.

I am on the opposite way, as I realized that I had way too much add-ons which I've never used. This was especially true for aircraft. Meanwhile, with P3Dv4x, I am much more careful which addons I want to have installed.Though, I have already 400 GB for P3Dv4x. But the main part (240 GB ) is ORBX.

On ‎23‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 3:18 PM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Ben,

It's true that it is way more simple to update Prepar3D now, however to be fair...

+ update Active Sky, if a compatible version is already available

+ update the GTN software, if the update already works.

+ update the Addon Manager

+ update several other addons that don't work  

But still, this is way better than having OOMs all the time - which was why I have stopped using FSX. And which was because I have never used Prepar3D v2 and v3 a single minute from the day I installed v4 for the first time.

Yeah, it has always been OOM vs. updates/compatibility of addons. But this way P3D finally won the battle while bringing up some very nice graphics and way better performance, at least at my system.

But for those who are still happy with FSX.. never change a running system. So why not.

And that's also why I have P3Dv4.0 still installed. All the P3D "stuff" I have works and I don't have to worry about updates. There is nothing I've seen in either v4.1 or v4.2 that would cause me to install either one. I have no interest in eye-candy. Unless something significant changes in the way of flying the aircraft I'm not going to update anything. But, then again, I'm one of the Old Coots (with a fair amount of RL experience now curtailed by the "medical" rules) and maybe I just don't understand..........Doug

It's not that you don't understand.  It's simply that you are comfortable with what you have...even if it is an 11-year old software program that modern technology has left in the dust (when you are talking about FSX, which is the topic title you used for this thread).  Use whatever works for you.

But why people criticize LM for it's P3D product and "how it works" is beyond me.  It's primary customer base is NOT the home computer user.  It is a flight simulation product designed to be used as a Scenario Simulator for commercial and military training entities.  LM grants other users a separate and much less expensive "license" if they want to use it, but even that license is identified as an "Academic" one...a "training and learning" experience.  Which implies there are some expectations of the user if they want to use the software.

P3D requires any user to meet two main requirements if they want to be able to use the features of it:

1.  The appropriate HARDWARE to run it.  That usually will NOT be a computer that will run an 11-year old software application "fine".  

2.  The user knowledge of at least the BASICS of keeping a computer running properly over time.  That includes knowing how to do system maintenance, system security, and both software AND hardware updates in the form of hardware drivers, application patches, etc.  In a commercial work environment, this is usually done transparently FOR the user by an IT department that runs the network the user's computer is connected to.  At home, you need to be your own "computer geek" and have the knowledge and desire to know how to do it yourself.  Sadly, most home computer users are not motivated to do that, and will continue to try to run new technology software on older outdated hardware that isn't maintained properly to begin with.  With the expected results that will come from that.

So, if you are happy still using FSX, go for it.  But PLEASE, quit making posts that unfairly criticize a developer like LM just because they make a state-of-the-art flight simulator platform that you can't get to run properly on your computer.  It isn't THEIR fault you can't (or don't want to) get it to work on YOUR hardware.  The proper hardware IS available today.  So is the education on how to use it (the education is actually FREE if you want to take the time to learn it using the Internet).  And the hardware does NOT cost an arm and a leg to own it.  But it is also not a 4790K CPU with a GTX970 GPU running Windows 7.  That may work "fine" for FSX yet.  But not for P3D running addons developed FOR P3D, even with the sliders set at 50%.

I can understand some people may be on limited incomes, etc, etc.  So be it.  That is also not any developer's problem.  So don't criticize a developer for not accommodating old hardware or software platforms.  There WILL come the day when developers are going to say, "Screw it.  We are going to quit accommodating people who won't upgrade their platforms."  And rightfully so.  No developer should be held hostage the way many flight sim users hold them hostage today.  CURRENT developers should be using EVERY DESIGN CAPABILITY available for P3D, and should NEVER have to accommodate a "watered down" version of their product for users who won't or can't upgrade or know how to maintain their own computers the software runs on.

Sorry if the above sounds "harsh".  But I've done IT and all the associated "stuff" with it for over 40 years now.  If the user's computer is connected to "my" network, I can do their "IT" jobs for them.  But if they run their own computer, it's THEIR job to do it right.  Nobody else's job or responsibility.

Give the developers a break and quit beating them up for issues that are NOT their fault, like using a simple Client update process instead of having to do a complete reinstall of the product.  Try doing that with FSX.

4 hours ago, FalconAF said:

And the hardware does NOT cost an arm and a leg to own it.  But it is also not a 4790K CPU with a GTX970 GPU running Windows 7.  That may work "fine" for FSX yet.  But not for P3D running addons developed FOR P3D, even with the sliders set at 50%.

I'm sorry, but at least for me it is: 3570K CPU and a GTX970... OK on Windows 10 ^_^ P3D4 runs better than anything else ever before, and I mean with really new addons developed for P3D ;-):) No hardware change in the last 6 years I believe. Not even a Windows reinstall - just the free upgrade to Windows 10 and driver updates to the GTX.

So indeed, hats off to LM and their Prepar3d team!!

Why do I still have FSX installed?

Because ...

• I have an older PC (10 years old) that I purpose built just for FSX,
  • FSX runs perfectly well on this PC (and it always has - no tweaks, no stutters, no jaggies),
  • all my aircraft add-ons work (PMDG, Aerosoft, Flight1, Majestic, etc)
  • my frame rates may not be blindingly fast, but that's irrelevant ... the visuals are smooth and that's what's important to me,
  • all my sceneries and airports look fine enough to me and meet my requirements (I don't expect too much and don't feel the need for mind blowing graphics),
  • I know how to keep things backed up, and maintain the integrity of the file structure and folders,
  • ORBX continues to support it and update the scenery,
  • HiFi injects weather in to it and it looks damn real enough to me,
  • Ezdok works and I know how to tweak it ,
  • I am happy with my AI package,
  • I know how to do aircraft repaints and can keep both flyable and AI aircraft liveries current,
  • I know how to edit AFCADs.

... and all of these things mean that I can essentially keep my FSX world pretty much up to date.

Put simply, I don't have high expectations on graphics and performance, but would rather experience an up to date, smooth experience ... and FSX is giving me exactly that. Whilst I may change in the future, right now I am happy with FSX and everything is working fine.

interesting thread, and I like it because there is no bashing.

I'm running an old 2600K OC @ 4.4 and a new 1060 6G but I can see their limit with V4.

Here is an example why I'm having problems with V4:  When flying and filming (important because FRAP or Bandicam will cut your FPS in half sometime) all was fine on the new ORBX Gold Coast (that I love) but I was flying the ALabeo R66 heli. When I tried others addon plane i started seeing stutters and lower FPS, I would say that the FPS # where all over the place. Swap plane again same result. So yes P3D can be a hug sometime... sadly. 

To be honest I also feel like reinstalling FSX sometime because even with the OOM it did run better then V4 on my rig. And all that because I own a lot of FSX addon.

But all my flying time end up wit Aerofly FS2, why because anything you choose to fly will give you the same performance at some crazy 100+ FPS.

So AF2 is the future for me.

Cheers, Ben

Archived