P3Dv4.2 and PTA 2.61 - three shots

Adam Banks

I'd have thought if LM concentrated on fixing the lighting/shading in P3D then we wouldn't actually need things like PTA.

Anyway - all my add-ons seem to work fine in P3Dv4.2 - as does my old 26_02 preset (albeit now in PTA 2.61), as seen below:

The JF EE Canberra:

pta_2601_adam_26_02_06_1350.jpg

Even the old Flight1 BN-2 Islander appears to work fine!

pta_2601_adam_26_02_03_1350.jpg

The incomparable A2A MkII Spitfire in NZNI:
pta_2601_adam_26_02_05_1350.jpg

Adam.

30 minutes ago, adambar said:

Looks great Adam!  I went back to the 4.1 Client as 4.2 didn't seem as smooth to me for some reason, oh well. :)

Which version of FSUIPC are you running? That might have something to do with it. 5.1.22 is best.

21 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

Pretty sweet Adam...I didn;t think the A2A Spitfire had been updated for P3D v4 yet? Have I missed something?

Nope -it's not updated. I got it to work, after a fashion. No real Accusim features, but it flies!!

Adam.

5 minutes ago, Adam Banks said:

Which version of FSUIPC are you running? That might have something to do with it. 5.1.22 is best.

Nope -it's not updated. I got it to work, after a fashion. No real Accusim features, but it flies!!

Adam.

Gotcha Adam, thanks ;)

3 minutes ago, Eugene Kremlev said:

Do you use PTA 2.61 on own or in conjunction with URP?

On its own - but I'm using REX SF3D for the sky colours and clouds.I've never really got on with URP, ENV - or whatever - I just make my own!

Adam.

1 minute ago, Eugene Kremlev said:

Is it hard for you to make a cockpit screen? :)

A pleasure - a good excuse to do more screenshots! Give me a list of a few aircraft you'd like to see (in descending order of importance) - just in case I don't happen to have the one you particularly want.

Adam.

1 minute ago, Adam Banks said:

A pleasure - a good excuse to do more screenshots! Give me a list of a few aircraft you'd like to see (in descending order of importance) - just in case I don't happen to have the one you particularly want.

Adam.

Wow! Excellent, Adam!

A2A: Connie (captain and engineer panels), C172, T-6 Texan. If it is possible — when a glare of the sun on them.

Great thanks!

Beautiful  images, it is easy when you know what you are doing.:lol:

Good point about the lighting/shading. Water would be great to have looking more realistic too with a check box for those beautiful waves as well.:o

1 hour ago, adambar said:

Looks great Adam!  I went back to the 4.1 Client as 4.2 didn't seem as smooth to me for some reason, oh well. :)

:lol::lol::lol:, I am still on V4.0 as it and all the stuff installed on it work so good, I am afraid of messing it all up!

2 hours ago, stewart1 said:

Looks Fantastic Adam  what settings do you use in lighting are they brightness 0.80 bloom 0.00 and saturation 0.88 because I do not get my green like you do  I have found your preset

works fine in p3dv4.2 no problems at all thanks regards stewart

Yes - those values are correct, Stewart - but I've often wondered about many of your shots. The evening ones are brilliant - but I often find your daytime ones a tiny bit murky.

For my screenshots, I often fiddle with the time of day (and weather) until I get something that looks good. Not exactly realistic I know - but I find P3D over-cooks the onset of darkness (at either end of the day) and even slightly overcast is way too dark, IMHO. If I get that roughly right, then mid-day fair weather gets totally bleached out. I don't have Aerofly FS2, but from what I've seen, its lighting seems way better.

Eugene - your screenshots are under way (see below)!

Adam.

EDIT: Screenshots for Eugene:

You can see here, in the C-172, that I haven't made the shadows too strong - or dark cockpits (like the T-6 and Connie) would be way too dark overall.

vc_c172_01_1350.jpg

The T-6 - a good balance of light and shadow, IMHO:

vc_texan_1350.jpg

The Connie is a hard one for direct sunlight/glare as the windows are so small:
vc_connie_01_1350.jpg

Engineer's panel:

vc_connie_02_1350.jpg

Lastly - a bit of fun!
vc_connie_03_1350.jpg

All these pics are taken with the same time of day, weather and location. I just slewed the aircraft around to get the sun on the panels.

Wonderful set of shots, Adam, and I really like those cockpit shots - incredible feeling of realism there (not that I've ever been in a cockpit, but you know what I mean). I'm with Martyn, in that I'm still on 4.0. Rex SF and AS4 are working for me, and I think I've got an old PTA theme still active but to be honest, I get fed up with all the fiddling. I see some shots like yours above and think maybe I should tweak some more, but then if I get a decent combination of sky and light on a flight I think "nah, thistledome". I'm slowly learning to control my inner tweaker!

3 hours ago, Bullfox said:

Liked your Canberra shot the best.  Makes me want to JF and check it out.

There are quite a few JF aircraft with the same look and feel to them (probably the same VC designer). The Gloster Meteor is another one. I'm waiting for the Javelin: a stunning looking aircraft, but (apparently) impossible to fly.

Thanks again for the nice comments, folks!

Adam.

Adam,

On the strength of your Canberra shot I read some reviews of the JF Canberra and bought it.  Amazing sim, as good as any of my A2A aircraft.  Still learning how to fly it.  Blew the canopy off at 20,000 ft had to restart the flight.  Now if I can just figure out how to land it.

18 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

Anyway - all my add-ons seem to work fine in P3Dv4.2 - as does my old 26_02 preset (albeit now in PTA 2.61), as seen below:

Hey Adam, PTA doesn't seem to work for me in v4.2, I installed Client and Content last night (as recommended, deleted cfg and shaders) during install and today I get this when I try to apply your 26_02 preset, tried to install the backup shaders with no luck.  Any ideas?

PTATweakA.jpg

19 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

Adam.

I don't use FSUIPC Adam. at one time I did with an older FS version. :)

21 minutes ago, RobC said:

Is this one uploaded to your site yet? I tried the 26_02 before but the water is a little too blue for me.

It's the same old preset as before (26_02). No changes required for P3Dv4.2 and PTA 2.61.

I find the water impossibly blue at certain ORBX (or global) locations. If I toned it down to get that right, it made many other [sea] areas really drab. Knocking back the blue globally is an option, but then I found the green gets affected too ... goes very red/brown. You can't win!!!

I still think there are some real shortcomings in P3D lighting that I don't see in all the shots I've looked at in Aerofly FS2.

Adam.

2 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

You absolutely, definitely, need to be running Matt's 2.61 :)

Thank you Sir, I will attempt to get it ASAP!  Thanks for the fine job you do with this program, since we can't all have an eye for such realism! :D

Archived