An-2 LY-AKH over Ardmore and Wanaka

Adam Banks

Sadly, the Sibwings An-2 will never be updated to P3Dv4, so I had to re-buy the new Aerosoft version. Not quite as good as my old one, IMHO - and a little buggy w.r.t. the model lighting - but here it is: depicting the An-2 flown to NZ from Lithuania in 1995 by Neville Cameron. Sadly no longer flying, it now resides in the Transport Museum at Wanaka.

aerosft_an-2_ly-akh_01_1350.jpg

aerosft_an-2_ly-akh_02_1350.jpg

aerosft_an-2_ly-akh_04_1350.jpg

aerosft_an-2_ly-akh_03_1350.jpg

The livery can be found here.

Adam.

1 hour ago, BradB said:

I think you are first one Adam here at the forum to post shots of the "new" AN-2 . Do all the old paints with the Sibwings work with the new Aerosoft model?

Nope - not a chance! Total re-work from scratch.

The sad thing is that Aerosoft/Octopus stuffed up with the specular lighting on the model, so that if you use PTA and have Aircraft and/or VC lighting enabled, you get a right mess. There's no way I can correct it via textures alone - it has to be a model edit. The only thing I can do is disable that section of my PTA profile, but then every other aircraft I have gets bleached out.

I'm going to post in the Aerosoft forums, but they're none to quick in replying, these days.

Anyway - thanks for the nice comments! It's a real shame this aircraft no longer flies.

Adam.

What a bummer. Is it the only aircraft showing this issue? I have terrible night lightning issues in the new ZBAA scenery and I also fear that PTA is the reason. Haven't tested it so far...

Still a cool looking plane and I still love the something like three hour preflight with all those switches.  Nice shots Adam as always and I'm like Martyn, I would imagine that tail wheel would cause a lot of drag.  Maybe it's a design feature to make it fly even slower?  :D

2 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Is that normal for the tailwheel to almost appear to be flapping in the breeze?

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Still a cool looking plane and I still love the something like three hour preflight with all those switches.  Nice shots Adam as always and I'm like Martyn, I would imagine that tail wheel would cause a lot of drag.  Maybe it's a design feature to make it fly even slower?  :D

Hahaha - I hadn't noticed that - well spotted! It's a side effect of me using SLEW to position the aircraft for a good shot. Sometimes I simply forget to UN-slew and UN-pause for a short while, then pause.

I think the Sibwings model had a tailwheel lock, but I appear to have lost that switch in the AS cockpit!

2 hours ago, AnkH said:

What a bummer. Is it the only aircraft showing this issue? I have terrible night lightning issues in the new ZBAA scenery and I also fear that PTA is the reason. Haven't tested it so far...

I think the only other aircraft that does that in my [massive] hangar is the JustFlight D.H. Dove - but it's only on the rudder and hardly noticeable. As far as ZBAA is concerned, there could be dozens of reasons why it doesn't display correctly with PTA. I certainly don't have any night lighting issues with any of the ORBX scenery with PTA - but I'm not much of a night owl!

51 minutes ago, Iain Emms said:

Fine shots indeed Adam

Thanks, Iain - much appreciated!

Adam.

5 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:

BTW - that Wasp Sound File you highlighted last week on the DC-3, [I think].

Was it an FSX shot or P3D v4?

I ask because the files seem to be for FS2004 & FSX

There are two sets included in the archive (the included "readme" explains it). The differences (I think) are in external/environmental balancing - but I think both work OK in P3D.

The sound set works perfectly in my P3Dv4.1. You've got nothing to lose if you want to give it a try. Just create a new (and renamed) sound folder - copy all the files into it and then edit an aircraft entry in aircraft.cfg to use that [new] folder for sound. Nothing will get corrupted or over-written - and your original sound set can stay where it is.

Adam.

1 hour ago, Adam Banks said:

There are two sets included in the archive (the included "readme" explains it). The differences (I think) are in external/environmental balancing - but I think both work OK in P3D.

The sound set works perfectly in my P3Dv4.1. You've got nothing to lose if you want to give it a try. Just create a new (and renamed) sound folder - copy all the files into it and then edit an aircraft entry in aircraft.cfg to use that [new] folder for sound. Nothing will get corrupted or over-written - and your original sound set can stay where it is.

Adam.

ok

thanks Adam.

BTW, look fwd to seeing you tell Aerosoft the AN-2 model lighting is off.

No doubt you will receive a polite considered response & possibly 2 fingers:D

TTM

9 hours ago, TigerTigerM said:

BTW, look fwd to seeing you tell Aerosoft the AN-2 model lighting is off.

No doubt you will receive a polite considered response & possibly 2 fingers:D

Mathijs has already acknowledged the problem - noted first by Matt Levi (the excellent repainter, "Jeansy") - and has passed my addition onto the devs. To be fair, Mathijs has always responded courteously and quickly to any issues I've flagged that get his attention. Anyway - tricky discussion on an ORBX forum, so I'll leave it in the "I'm very hopeful" state!

8 hours ago, Taph said:

Nice set, hope you popped into "Cinema Paradiso" while you were in Wanaka definitely worth a visit, make sure you order cookies for the intermission

I've yet to make it to Wanaka (or Queenstown). Like Milford Sound, it's on my "Bucket List". I do hope I make it some day - I've been stuck on the North Island for way too long!

Adam.

EDIT: A further trawl through the AS forums revealed that the An-2 doesn't have a tailwheel lock. I wonder whether it has in RL <?>. Generally though (it being quite heavy) it shouldn't flap around in flight unless you do daft SLEW things to it <_<.

I'm still working away adding a few tickles and tweaks to the repaint, so I'm hoping to present an updated version as and when a fixed model comes out.

The more time I spend "in the cockpit" (as opposed to painting) the more I'm enjoying this add-on. Highly recommended - I think my earlier comparison with the Sibwings version was a little unkind!

I missed the boat here.

Is LK-AKH one of your repaints, or an import from Sibwings?

The Aerosoft AN-2 version grows on you.

Always fascinated by how it can lift all 3 wheels off the ground at the same time when taking off. Not sure if the full size does that.

TTM

1 hour ago, TigerTigerM said:

Is LK-AKH one of your repaints, or an import from Sibwings?

The Aerosoft AN-2 version grows on you.

Always fascinated by how it can lift all 3 wheels off the ground at the same time when taking off. Not sure if the full size does that.

I did the original repaint for LY-AKH for the Sibwings model. I'm not generally fond of red/white/blue colour schemes, but I happen to have met the bloke who flew this one over to NZ, so felt I owed it to him to do the repaint (not that he owns a flight sim, BTW - he prefers the real thing!). Naturally, I felt duty bound to create a repaint for the AS version - which I must say has grown on me!

Having seen a few An-2s displayed in the UK, I'd say a 3-point take off is a distinct possibility - particularly with a reasonable headwind. More recently, here in NZ, I'm always amazed at how super-quickly the tailwheel comes off the ground on Tiger Moths. They also appear to come unstuck within the length of a cricket pitch!

Adam.

8 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

I did the original repaint for LY-AKH for the Sibwings model. I'm not generally fond of red/white/blue colour schemes, but I happen to have met the bloke who flew this one over to NZ, so felt I owed it to him to do the repaint (not that he owns a flight sim, BTW - he prefers the real thing!). Naturally, I felt duty bound to create a repaint for the AS version - which I must say has grown on me!

Having seen a few An-2s displayed in the UK, I'd say a 3-point take off is a distinct possibility - particularly with a reasonable headwind. More recently, here in NZ, I'm always amazed at how super-quickly the tailwheel comes off the ground on Tiger Moths. They also appear to come unstuck within the length of a cricket pitch!

Adam.

Thanks Adam

Could you publish where it is when released? Would like to add it to the collection.

For STOL, hard to beat the competition Alaskan craft that have been modified to lift straight off in a strong headwind!

I did a bit of Beta on the AS. All switches down, 85% Mix, cowl flaps way open & then  off she would go. Probably not correct, but it works.

TTM

6 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:

Could you publish where it is when released? Would like to add it to the collection.

The link was in the fisrt post - but not very obvious LOL ... here it is - looking more like a link!

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/6394-aerosoft-an-2-ly-akh/

Here are three more ... taken around Wanaka:

an-2_01_745_1350.jpg

an-2_02_423_1350.jpg

an-2_03_96_1350.jpg

Adam.

15 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:

Is it finished or are you still tweaking, such that I should wait?

Very very minor tweaks - eg: I'm waiting for someone to send me the old Antonov logo (which I just couldn't source) to replace the current temporary one. Also, I've scaled up the fuselage rego text a fraction. So ... nothing major.

If A/S redo the model, there may be some additional tweaks necessary, but I doubt it - and there's no knowing how long it'll be before (or if) they'll fix it.

Adam.

Archived