Jardines, New Zealand

Jack Sawyer

So @Bruce R challenged me to fly from Queenstown to the south to find Jardines.

He said it was a little grass strip with a shed.  It took me several flyovers but I found this delightful little place.

Thanks Bruce!

At Queenstown, heading south, real-time and real weather.

DvUfbgb.jpg

hdYoRzV.jpg

qxjgxEQ.jpg

Wof8qUM.jpg

ZyQHoYm.jpg

It's over there, somewhere.

befOw2G.jpg

B9CFGFc.jpg

vbPhzC4.jpg

AyKrgWA.jpg

Much nice weather there than the torrential rains we're getting here today.

slMAV34.jpg

G3URxW6.jpg

oI4eZTd.jpg

Now to try to find it.

eQZvKL9.jpg

ocpRogN.jpg

hnePGNI.jpg

These look like sheds or hangars, but they're not.

PgAwnFB.jpg

Wrong direction!

A4YDgja.jpg

Aha!

Y2PAz88.jpg

MiJCbI8.jpg

There it is!

zEHkIOo.jpg

EZSkK6K.jpg

G2hPgen.jpg

SoapTWl.jpg

NgV5t4N.jpg

EaCVpBS.jpg

bALRWcc.jpg

What a lovely place!

fkMstaw.jpg

1 minute ago, Sniper31 said:

Great job on the hunt Jack, and I love that livery on the Cherokee too. It's simple, but sharp. And Orbx NZ looks great too, as it usually does :)

Thanks Landon!  I agree, NZ is splendid, and that livery is very sharp, nice repaint.

Another great set Jack, looks like you are enjoying New Zealand. If you are going to continue exploring that region, can I suggest you update your AI traffic pack. Air New Zealand have finished updating all their A320's with the new black and white fern livery. In fact I think they only have a few of their B777's to go now and the old blue and white tail will be gone completely.

9 minutes ago, Graham Eccleston said:

Another great set Jack, looks like you are enjoying New Zealand. If you are going to continue exploring that region, can I suggest you update your AI traffic pack. Air New Zealand have finished updating all their A320's with the new black and white fern livery. In fact I think they only have a few of their B777's to go now and the old blue and white tail will be gone completely.

Thanks Graham, will it interfere with UTL?

4 hours ago, BradB said:

Wonderful shots Jack , I have made that trip also a few years back . :):rolleyes::D

Cheers

John

Thanks John!  Fancy that!  To that same strip?

4 hours ago, Bermuda425 said:

Heart-pounding flight! Love the cockpit shot with the valley view!

Thanks Erik!

4 hours ago, Stillwater said:

You are about to become an OZx-airstrip-spotter! Well done, Jack.

And, nice looking sim settings, btw.

Thanks Gerold!  Yeah, it's not easy, and it's not in the GTN so I had to just fly around till I found it but you know something, it was very rewarding when I found it.

4 hours ago, kjrman said:

That was a blast to follow along, felt like I was spotting with you, well done!

Thanks kjr!  

2 hours ago, dolf8857 said:

Amazing set Jack!

Thank you kindly Dolf!

2 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

What a lovely place indeed Jack. Beautiful shots.:)

Thanks Karl, indeed, it's very lovely.  I imagine it would be a great place to live.

2 hours ago, stewart1 said:

Nice one Jack full marks my friend  and  a  super set of shots regards stewart

Thanks Stewart, glad you liked it!

2 hours ago, paulb said:

Congratulations Jack! Those grass airstrips are so hard to find! A great flight and super shots :).

Thanks Paul!  They are but half the fun was in finding it.

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Graham, will it interfere with UTL?

No Jack, they work fine together. You will need to do a couple of things to avoid duplications though.

In UTL, disable all the Australian and New Zealand airlines such as Qantas, Air New Zealand, Jetstar, Virgin Australia, Qantaslink, Rex, Tiger Airways etc. 

In FTX AU AI Traffic, disable "International Airlines" in the FTX AI Traffic Control Panel.

That way you will have everything covered wherever you fly throughout the world.  The FTX AI Traffic pack will also add lots of small GA traffic to keep you company while you explore this part of the world.

Good one Jack. I knew you would do it. As previously mentioned the Otago Gliding Club (normally flying from Taieri airfield - NZTI - near Dunedin) often flew from Jardines airstrip for their Christmas camp.  The Remarkables mountains creating magnificent gliding conditions in an easterly breeze. I was an instructor in the club for a few years, then the CFI before being transferred to Wellington in the North Island with my job in the NZ Police. In those days, the 70’s, Jardines airfield was owned by a local farmer, Dick Jardine, who used it as a strip for the top dressing planes for his farm. Dick was very pro-aviation and graciously allowed the club to use his strip at Christmas. I was surprised to see it in the ORBX Queenstown scenery and at the same time delighted. The strip is still there but I’m not sure who actually use it. 

Taking off on the strip is normally down hill towards Lake Wakatipu.  Once airborne there is a small hill to clear. A slight turn then out over the lake. Landing was usually the reverse - back in from over the lake and landing uphill.  The row of pine trees near the strip was the visual clue where the strip was. They are still there to this day. 

You’ve bought it back to life Jack, well done.

Bruce R

15 hours ago, Graham Eccleston said:

No Jack, they work fine together. You will need to do a couple of things to avoid duplications though.

In UTL, disable all the Australian and New Zealand airlines such as Qantas, Air New Zealand, Jetstar, Virgin Australia, Qantaslink, Rex, Tiger Airways etc. 

In FTX AU AI Traffic, disable "International Airlines" in the FTX AI Traffic Control Panel.

That way you will have everything covered wherever you fly throughout the world.  The FTX AI Traffic pack will also add lots of small GA traffic to keep you company while you explore this part of the world.

Thanks Graham, I might give it a try today.  Anything else in NZ/Oz that will need to be disabled as I don't know what carriers fly there.

15 hours ago, Sammy H said:

A splendid set here Jack.  I am in Queenstown right now and need to make my way back to the states.  Should be fun as long as I do not have a yellow plane I will be safe :lol:

Thanks Sammy!  Good for you my friend!  What a coincidence, hope to see some shots, and what's wrong with wrong with yellow planes? :o

11 hours ago, adambar said:

Marvelous shots and flight Jack! :)

Thank you Adam!

9 hours ago, Bruce R said:

Good one Jack. I knew you would do it. As previously mentioned the Otago Gliding Club (normally flying from Taieri airfield - NZTI - near Dunedin) often flew from Jardines airstrip for their Christmas camp.  The Remarkables mountains creating magnificent gliding conditions in an easterly breeze. I was an instructor in the club for a few years, then the CFI before being transferred to Wellington in the North Island with my job in the NZ Police. In those days, the 70’s, Jardines airfield was owned by a local farmer, Dick Jardine, who used it as a strip for the top dressing planes for his farm. Dick was very pro-aviation and graciously allowed the club to use his strip at Christmas. I was surprised to see it in the ORBX Queenstown scenery and at the same time delighted. The strip is still there but I’m not sure who actually use it. 

Taking off on the strip is normally down hill towards Lake Wakatipu.  Once airborne there is a small hill to clear. A slight turn then out over the lake. Landing was usually the reverse - back in from over the lake and landing uphill.  The row of pine trees near the strip was the visual clue where the strip was. They are still there to this day. 

You’ve bought it back to life Jack, well done.

Bruce R

Thanks Bruce!  That was fun mate!  Dang, it sounds like you must have had a LOT of fun gliding, teaching and all that, some people have all the luck!  I have to admit, I never in a million years would have known this place was there if you didn't mention it.  I love it, Orbx always surprises me.

4 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Fine set of shots Jack. 

cheers 

Iain 

Thank you Iain!

2 minutes ago, Neptune6 said:

Hi Jack you have a good radar detection to find this lovely airstrip .. Good hollidays ..

here you can eat your favorite food , there is a lot of sheep . :D

Patrick

Thanks Patrick!  Yeah, you're right, Ha-double g is! :P

Archived