Long flight across the PNW Part 2

Jack Sawyer

1 minute ago, BradB said:

Fab shots Jack , interesting your WX engine was showing snow on the west side of the Cascades . Actually there is no snow at the lower elevations . :):unsure::(:o

Cheers

John

Hmmm......It's AS4, so maybe I do need to get SkyForce?  Can't make up my mind yet, I need more data from all the fellas, and more reviews.  I'm of the considered opinion that if it aint broke, don't fix it.  But as you say, it may be broke.  :wacko:

1 minute ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Hmmm......It's AS4, so maybe I do need to get SkyForce?  Can't make up my mind yet, I need more data from all the fellas, and more reviews.  I'm of the considered opinion that if it aint broke, don't fix it.  But as you say, it may be broke.  :wacko:

No I don't think it's the WX engine's fault . I think the fault is more with how the Sim handles the season's . :unsure::(

John

13 minutes ago, BradB said:

No I don't think it's the WX engine's fault . I think the fault is more with how the Sim handles the season's . :unsure::(

John

Thanks John, it ain't perfect but it's perfect for me.

9 minutes ago, Bermuda425 said:

Boffo and crackerjack all the way again!

Thanks Erik!  Boffomania dude!

Marvelous wintry series of shots Jack. That one of the mountain (not sure if it's Mt. Hood or one of the other three sisters) sticking up through the clouds is my favorite. I have a picture somewhere, where a couple of buddies of mine and I just got off the highest ski lift at Mt. Hood and are looking down the ski run. All you can see are clouds. We were above the cloud layer, and ski'd down into the clouds. That picture really reminds me that moment. In fact, I think I can find it in one of my digital picture folders if I dig hard enough.

14 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

Most majestic shots, Jack (part 1 and 2). The floating houses in the background are funny, at first they float, you turn away and when you come back 3 minutes later, they have sat down at the proper altitude.

Those houses were still floating, I made sure you couldn't see them in the last shots.  I usually go to the Scenery Library and back out of it.  It's not Orbx it's P3D I think.  Glad you liked the Lars!

14 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Marvelous wintry series of shots Jack. That one of the mountain (not sure if it's Mt. Hood or one of the other three sisters) sticking up through the clouds is my favorite. I have a picture somewhere, where a couple of buddies of mine and I just got off the highest ski lift at Mt. Hood and are looking down the ski run. All you can see are clouds. We were above the cloud layer, and ski'd down into the clouds. That picture really reminds me that moment. In fact, I think I can find it in one of my digital picture folders if I dig hard enough.

Now that's a great story Landon!  I'd LOVE to see some of those photos!  I used to ski a lot, all around New England, Colorado, and Idaho.  Now with knee surgery and a needed knee replacement my skiing days are over.  It was great fun though.  Thanks for your kind words Landon!

12 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Superb set Jack and that must have been a very enjoyable flight.

Beautiful views above the mountains too.:D

Thanks Martyn!  I flew at around 10500 feet, I know this plane has O2 but don't know if hypoxia is simulated like A2A's.  It was very relaxing following the real airways Roger set up.  He's a master navigator I tell ya!

10 hours ago, kjrman said:

Great shots, isn't PNW great!!

Thanks again kind sir!

8 hours ago, adambar said:

Beautiful captures Jack! :)  Looks like you had an enjoyable flight.

Thanks Adam, it was delightful, I thought I'd get bored with all the white but I didn't.  It's a whole different Orbx world in winter like this.

6 hours ago, paulb said:

Super flight and set of shots Jack! Some great scenery there! :)

Thanks again Paul.  Hope you're on the mend my friend!

5 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Now that's a great story Landon!  I'd LOVE to see some of those photos!  I used to ski a lot, all around New England, Colorado, and Idaho.  Now with knee surgery and a needed knee replacement my skiing days are over.  It was great fun though.  Thanks for your kind words Landon!

Okay Jack, here you go:

WFYJQpK.jpg

Looking up towards the top of the lift at Mt. Hood, Oregon.

V9qVp4I.jpg

Just off the top of the lift at Mt. Hood, Oregon, looking down before making our run. Believe it or not, this picture was actually taken in the summertime. Mt. Hood has a glacier on it, which allows skiing there in the summer. However, the skiing is only good until around 1200 noon, as after that it gets too warm and the snow is very slushy. The two in the picture are two of my buddies, and I am taking the picture.

5 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Those houses were still floating, I made sure you couldn't see them in the last shots.  I usually go to the Scenery Library and back out of it.  It's not Orbx it's P3D I think.  Glad you liked the Lars!

I also think it's P3D and I have seen it often that the problem goes away after some minutes. I have no idea why.

2 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Another great set of shots. 

cheers 

Iain 

Thanks you kindly Iain!

Just now, Tim K said:

Great set Jack! I miss the colors of summer when flying, but being from Minnesota originally, I really love winter no matter where it is!

Thanks Tim, I did too for a few minutes but I thought, you know what, I never do this in winter and it was very pleasant.

1 hour ago, Sniper31 said:

Okay Jack, here you go:

WFYJQpK.jpg

Looking up towards the top of the lift at Mt. Hood, Oregon.

V9qVp4I.jpg

Just off the top of the lift at Mt. Hood, Oregon, looking down before making our run. Believe it or not, this picture was actually taken in the summertime. Mt. Hood has a glacier on it, which allows skiing there in the summer. However, the skiing is only good until around 1200 noon, as after that it gets too warm and the snow is very slushy. The two in the picture are two of my buddies, and I am taking the picture.

Outstanding Landon!  Thanks!  Like you say, above the clouds like in my shots.  What a beautiful day you must have had.  Green with envy I am!  What is your buddy sitting on, is that like a sit-down ski or something cool like that?  All this new technology blows me away.  When I first started skiing they didn't even have snowboards yet!

6 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Fizzelle but how can you put an X-Plane aircraft into P3D, is it even possible?

It is possible but with (very) mixed results.

I mentioned it because ORBX is coming to X-Plane and when it does, you'll need to get it! Something to bear in mind for the future!

Just now, Fizzelle said:

It is possible but with (very) mixed results.

I mentioned it because ORBX is coming to X-Plane and when it does, you'll need to get it! Something to bear in mind for the future!

I see, I might, I tried it once but with the interface design it looked like I needed a Phd in software engineering.

11 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I see, I might, I tried it once but with the interface design it looked like I needed a Phd in software engineering.

Well if a buffoon like me can do it...

Just imagine, if you will, taking your shiny Lancair from ORBX Meigs Field back down to Georgia for the Masters!

5 minutes ago, Fizzelle said:

Well if a buffoon like me can do it...

Just imagine, if you will, taking your shiny Lancair from ORBX Meigs Field back down to Georgia for the Masters!

I might, right now there's the other sims I want.  This tired old dog really doesn't want a step learning curve that's XP.  I like the way Orbx does things, like FTX Central.  I'm going to wait, but thanks!

31 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Outstanding Landon!  Thanks!  Like you say, above the clouds like in my shots.  What a beautiful day you must have had.  Green with envy I am!  What is your buddy sitting on, is that like a sit-down ski or something cool like that?  All this new technology blows me away.  When I first started skiing they didn't even have snowboards yet!

Well Jack, my buddies are both paralyzed from the waist down, so they are what we call 'sit skiers'. Don't let that fool you though, those boys can shred the ski slopes up. When we took these pictures, we were actually at a downhill ski race training camp. And don't feel bad about how long ago you started skiing. When I first learned to ski, it was in Alaska with the Army, at Camp Black Rapids. We learned military downhill and cross country skiing on 1940's technology. Those old military skis and boots left a LOT to be desired, but boy, was it fun to learn how to ski on the Army's dime back then :)

2 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

Well Jack, my buddies are both paralyzed from the waist down, so they are what we call 'sit skiers'. Don't let that fool you though, those boys can shred the ski slopes up. When we took these pictures, we were actually at a downhill ski race training camp. And don't feel bad about how long ago you started skiing. When I first learned to ski, it was in Alaska with the Army, at Camp Black Rapids. We learned military downhill and cross country skiing on 1940's technology. Those old military skis and boots left a LOT to be desired, but boy, was it fun to learn how to ski on the Army's dime back then :)

Wow!  Good for them Landon, that's great that they can still enjoy skiing. I love todays amazing technology.

Learning in Alaska, must have been sweet!

I remember all I had were a beat up old pair of wooden skis with the straps, they didn't have the brakes back then.  But it was fun and I miss it.

15 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Wow!  Good for them Landon, that's great that they can still enjoy skiing. I love todays amazing technology.

Learning in Alaska, must have been sweet!

I remember all I had were a beat up old pair of wooden skis with the straps, they didn't have the brakes back then.  But it was fun and I miss it.

Brakes Jack? Even skis nowadays don't have brakes, and I have several pairs of current technology skis. They only brakes I know of are to fall down :D

1 hour ago, Sniper31 said:

Brakes Jack? Even skis nowadays don't have brakes, and I have several pairs of current technology skis. They only brakes I know of are to fall down :D

I’m sorry Landon, I meant binding brakes, the kind where when you step into the bindings these two little prongs pop up and if the ski falls off they deploy by digging themselves into the snow so you don’t get a runaway ski.

1 minute ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I’m sorry Landon, I meant binding brakes, the kind where when you step into the bindings these two little prongs pop up and if the ski falls off they deploy by digging themselves into the snow so you don’t get a runaway ski.

Okay, now I understand what you were referring to Jack...hehe. My current skis of course all have those, but the old skis I learned on in Alaska had nothing of the sort. You lost one of those puppies, and down the hill she went, similar to to what you probably had to learn on with those wooden skis ;)

Just now, Sniper31 said:

Okay, now I understand what you were referring to Jack...hehe. My current skis of course all have those, but the old skis I learned on in Alaska had nothing of the sort. You lost one of those puppies, and down the hill she went, similar to to what you probably had to learn on with those wooden skis ;)

Yep, at one mountain in New Hampshire they had a car door on display where one went right through it.

I also learned on the ones without binding brakes.  Kids today wouldn’t even know what we’re talking about.  :)

Just now, Jack Sawyer said:

Yep, at one mountain in New Hampshire they had a car door on display where one went right through it.

I also learned on the ones without binding brakes.  Kids today wouldn’t even know what we’re talking about.  :)

Haha...no they would not...and not just with skiing, but then there is WHOLE new topic thread :D

13 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

It was very relaxing following the real airways Roger set up.  He's a master navigator I tell ya!

Looks like part 2 went as well as part 1 did and just as lovely also.  Don’t give me more credit than I deserve the GTN is the star here I just learned how to coax out it’s good points.  Are you familiar with it enough now to do the same thing?

9 hours ago, Wakashi said:

Looks like part 2 went as well as part 1 did and just as lovely also.  Don’t give me more credit than I deserve the GTN is the star here I just learned how to coax out it’s good points.  Are you familiar with it enough now to do the same thing?

Thanks Roger, absolutely, no problem doing it.  

Archived