Searching for ships of the desert

14 minutes ago, tom2rific said:

well, stone the crows ! I've never seen the camels b4 in Oz...well done Jack  :)

tom

Thanks tom!  I think Martyn and John told me about them.  Fabulous bit of work ain't it?

Just now, flyingleaf said:

Holy smokes Jack. You found a whole caravan. Boy what great shots. And you must 'a scared the crap outta them poor beasts with your "upside-down ceiling fan". And who is cleaning up that beach? Lol

Thanks flyingleaf!  :lol:  You sir are cracking me up with your upside down ceiling fan.  I've installed dozens of them through the years and this phrase splits my sides in laughter!

Yeah, I hope they have camel collection bags on the south end of 'em!

That was way to easy for you Jack , now try to start up a conversation with the girls on the beach . Just choose your words carefully , the bloke with them is not to friendly . :rolleyes:B):angry::lol: .

Cheers

John

You may be surprised but Australia has one of the largest wild camel populations on the planet. They originally arrived with the Afghan traders in the 1800's who operated most of the desert trade routes in Central Australia and many escaped (the camels that is:lol:) and bred and bred and bred. We actually export camels to the Middle East. Our famous tourist train from Adelaide to Darwin is named "The Ghan" in honour of these wonderful people who helped open up the Centre. The screenies above are likley to have been taken at Broome which has a popular tourist camel ride along Cable Beach. Orbx bringing Australia to your living room:D

10 hours ago, adambar said:

Dadadadada..dadadadadadada, that's the only Arabic tune I know Jack. :D  Nice find bro. :)

Thanks Adam, what key is it sung in? :D

9 hours ago, BradB said:

That was way to easy for you Jack , now try to start up a conversation with the girls on the beach . Just choose your words carefully , the bloke with them is not to friendly . :rolleyes:B):angry::lol: .

Cheers

John

Thanks John, I'd like to but the girls might jealous if I start talking to camels. :lol:

9 hours ago, Bassman said:

You may be surprised but Australia has one of the largest wild camel populations on the planet. They originally arrived with the Afghan traders in the 1800's who operated most of the desert trade routes in Central Australia and many escaped (the camels that is:lol:) and bred and bred and bred. We actually export camels to the Middle East. Our famous tourist train from Adelaide to Darwin is named "The Ghan" in honour of these wonderful people who helped open up the Centre. The screenies above are likley to have been taken at Broome which has a popular tourist camel ride along Cable Beach. Orbx bringing Australia to your living room:D

This is extremely interesting Bassman, I never knew that.  Who'd have though Australia exports camels?  I love it.

8 hours ago, luckyb52 said:

First time I'm seeing camels near the surf, Jack --- unique!

Cheers,

Lucky :)

/////////////////

Thanks Luck, Orbx did a great job didn't they?

7 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Great set of shots.

cheers

Iain

Thanks Iain!

7 hours ago, paulb said:

Well done Jack!

Some one once tried to trade my wife for three camels............but that's another story! :D

Thanks Paul, hey, I tried the same thing!  But they'd only give me ONE camel! :lol:

7 hours ago, Bugdani said:

Very nice set, my friend, and nice discovery !!!

Thanks Bug!  I love it when Orbx does this.

5 hours ago, Bermuda425 said:

Splish-splash bunch of caps

Thanks Erik!

3 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Great catch Jack, and great shots. I wonder if it's like round here - you can't take camels (dogs in our case) on the beach in the summer as it puts the grockles off.

Thanks Andy!  The only camels I've ever seen were in the Atlanta zoo.  And what are grackles?  Boids?

1 minute ago, Jack Sawyer said:

And what are grackles?

Hi Jack, grockles is slang for tourists. Don't know if it's used just down here in the West Country, or UK wide, or even wider. It's used vaguely derisively by the locals. All the usual "my gang, your gang" stuff.

Just now, andy1252 said:

Hi Jack, grockles is slang for tourists. Don't know if it's used just down here in the West Country, or UK wide, or even wider. It's used vaguely derisively by the locals. All the usual "my gang, your gang" stuff.

I see!  I love it, what a term!  :lol:  Never heard of it before, I thought they were birds.  Goofy me!  I love different countries' slang, I'm going to use this word in my short stories.

I got a camel for my first wife, I reckon it was a fair swap!

Wonderful find Jack, amazing what is to be found in these sceneries.

I saw a programme recently where they are processing  camels for human consumption in Oz. It is meant to be very tasty as well.

2 hours ago, andy1252 said:

We had Emmits and Grockels in Bournemouth, cant remember which was which but one had their trousers rolled up with a knotted hankie on their heads.

20 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

I got a camel for my first wife, I reckon it was a fair swap!

Wonderful find Jack, amazing what is to be found in these sceneries.

I saw a programme recently where they are processing  camels for human consumption in Oz. It is meant to be very tasty as well.

We had Emmits and Grockels in Bournemouth, cant remember which was which but one had their trousers rolled up with a knotted hankie on their heads.

LOL!  Fair swap!  LOL!  I didn't know they were eating them, I wonder what they taste like, aren't they originally from the horse family?  Not sure.  Glad you like them Martyn, I was helped by others though.  Still, I love when Orbx does this.

34 minutes ago, jury42 said:

Beautiful camels!!! )))

Thanks Jury, but Orbx get all the credit.  Cool though isn't it?  Like I just want to enter my screen and ride one.

21 minutes ago, Mark Abdey said:

I love these little 'easter eggs' as they're known in gaming... not that I find many myself, so a very cool find Jack.

I love them too Mark.  I remember some of the original MS Sims would deliberately place photos of their team inside hangars and stuff like that.  Then word went out, no more Easter eggs.  Fun times!

8 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

I do not see any camels in your second-to-last shot, why did you call it "Blimey"?

They're on the beach.  I can see them on my iMac.  I said Blimey because to me that's Aterm for astonishment, I was astonished to see the camels.

40 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

They're on the beach.  I can see them on my iMac.  I said Blimey because to me that's Aterm for astonishment, I was astonished to see the camels.

I can only see them in the last picture. Something else in the pic before confuses me.

3 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

I can only see them in the last picture. Something else in the pic before confuses me.

In the second to last one there's a couple sunning themselves on the beach.  Behind them are the camels and in the last one you can really make out the camels.

24 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:

So.

Where did you find the camels??:)

(Must get that Milviz chopper in their next 24 hr sale. It looks 'right' in your shots)

TTM

Hi I TTM, I found them by taking off and heading northeast along the beach, it wasn't too far from the airport.  Yeah, I really love this 407, one of my favorites.

2 hours ago, Bassman said:

Also on Australian beaches, keep a lookout for "white pointers";D

Maybe I shouldn't ask, but what are "white pointers" Dan?  Where I live white pointers are white tail deer.

2 hours ago, dolf8857 said:

You want to swap the four camels for the chopper Jack?   Fantastic shots these, where is it?

I'd love to Dolf!  Would be a great way to travel.  I'm going to be buying the book From Alice To Ocean very soon, I'm keen to learn all she went through.

As for the camels they're on the beach near Broome.

You take off and go to the beach, follow it NE for several miles and there they are.  A very cool addition to a beautiful area.

Fantastic, Jack!! I haven't flown down under in ages, I have to admit, there's just too much ORBX scenery to explore, but yours have made me thinking again, Jack. Btw, did you plan this camel track or did you bump into them by coincidence ;) 

15 minutes ago, bernd1151 said:

Fantastic, Jack!! I haven't flown down under in ages, I have to admit, there's just too much ORBX scenery to explore, but yours have made me thinking again, Jack. Btw, did you plan this camel track or did you bump into them by coincidence ;) 

Hi Bernd, thanks!  Orbx sure makes great stuff and I love these little hidden gems.  I was actually directed there by someone, not sure who now.  But I was thrilled to see them!

Archived