Lest we forget

Patrick Cox

Take a quick minute and google 'gifts left at the Vietnam memorial wall' and select images.  I don't want to post any here.  But I warn you it rips your guts out. Some kid wrote a letter to his grandpa Cole, a baseball with message on it, a cold can of beer.

And that is just one memorial for one war, from one country.  Way too many of them to remember, and sadly we cannot remember them all.  But we should take a minute and try.

Thank you Aussieman Pat for starting this thread off today.

I am Canadian living in New Zealand now where they do ANZAC day instead at another time of year. It is strange to me that nothing is done for 11 month 11 day 11 hour in New Zealand but a different country. I still observe in my own way as you can never take the Canadian out of you. 

Both my Grandparents served and my step-mothers father as well who I consider just as much a grandparent. One was an officer in the Canadian Army, a Spitfire Pilot for the RCAF and a Navigator on the Lancaster Bomber with the RAF. As a kid I used to love hearing the stories and building the models, but as an adult I have a completely different view of what they went through and how lucky they were to come out the other end, and for all that was lost.

I will always appreciate and will never forget 

Archived