Thank You for Germany!

Bushpounder

Made a first flight over Berlin from EDDT to EDDB, I had to, and I fully agree. I have always been dissatisfied with Berlin in OpenLC EU, but now that's really fun to fly. Finally proper blocks of buildings in proper places and a host of landmarks to explore. It just looks "right".

Besides, performance is quite good. I got 20+ fps most of the time on my rather mediocre machine, outside Berlin 30 fps wich my monitor is set to.

Excellent work, Sascha and your team.

Kind regards, Michael

Made a first flight over my hometown Münster into the north. Sadly I got a crash at EDDG but that was because of Windows Defender starting to block my CPU.

What I saw was great. The little cities and towns are way better defined. I am looking forward to do some more sightseeing today :)

4 minutes ago, JanTenner said:

Made a first flight over my hometown Münster into the north. Sadly I got a crash at EDDG but that was because of Windows Defender starting to block my CPU.

What I saw was great. The little cities and towns are way better defined. I am looking forward to do some more sightseeing today :)

make sure to exclude your FS partition from continuous scanning by wd, also saves on the used memory ;)

What I see so far is very promising. I'm in the process of downloading.

The only thing that irks me are the fall textures that I see in all the new screenshots, assuming they were taken with the simulator date set to the current date.

Just take a look at some Schlewsig Holstein Webcams.

http://www.luebecker-bucht-ostsee.de/webcams-wetter

There are no fall leaves to be found in real life during September.

Or compare it to the seasonal settings in FTX ENG. Still very much Summer there when you chose to fly at the current date, which strikes me as absolutely correct.

And if fall colouring hasn't begun in England than it for sure can't have begun in Germany already.

23 minutes ago, KVSandleben said:

What I see so far is very promising. I'm in the process of downloading.

The only thing that irks me are the fall textures that I see in all the new screenshots, assuming they were taken with the simulator date set to the current date.

Just take a look at some Schlewsig Holstein Webcams.

http://www.luebecker-bucht-ostsee.de/webcams-wetter

There are no fall leaves to be found in real life during September.

Or compare it to the seasonal settings in FTX ENG. Still very much Summer there when you chose to fly at the current date, which strikes me as absolutely correct.

And if fall colouring hasn't begun in England than it for sure can't have begun in Germany already.

I just flew around Wales yesterday, current date, and all the fall colors were in force.

5 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

That seems like a reasonable assumption.

But a false one. I just checked. Still summer textures in Birmingham as of this moment.

Wales has fall textures in the mountains but summer in the flats.

Be that as it may, it was not my intention to totally sidetrack this into a seasonal discussion. It was just something I noticed and that struck me as a very noticeable deviation from reality.

1 minute ago, KVSandleben said:

But a false one. I just checked. Still summer textures in Birmingham as of this moment.

Wales has fall textures in the mountains but summer in the flats.

Yes, I was flying the mountains yesterday, practicing a run through the famous Mach Loop.  Gorgeous scenery, btw.  Then I'm somewhat puzzled by the different seasonal textures we are seeing, but I've never been to England, so don't know first hand.

Hi guys,

currently, GEN displays fall colors in both September and October but we can certainly look into whether it's feasible to switch that to October only. The complicating issue is that the default seasons control file also assigns fall textures during Sept/Oct in this area. Third-party developers with photoreal ground areas (for which the seasonal progression has to be hard-coded during compilation) would have used the default seasons file to define their monthly progression. In other words, if we change the GEN control file to October only we may create compatibility issues for others during the month of September. Also, during September one would then see summer textures in Germany with a sharp boundary to the default fall textures along the edges of GEN.

Cheers, Holger

2 hours ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi guys,

Also, during September one would then see summer textures in Germany with a sharp boundary to the default fall textures along the edges of GEN.

Cheers, Holger

That's what I expected. Maybe you can also adjust this in OLC Europe to avoid this? 

I think you should strive for maximum possible realism in your full fat packages, and you are doing a very good job at it. 

This is of course just my opinion, but it's something that really distracts me when I know for a fact, from living experience that fall simply starts a month too early for central europe in the sim.

Brownish leaves in September is usually a result of leaf-miner moths and not the season. ;)

And using the work around of setting a different month when I fly is not an option, as it loses me the correct solar zenith angle for the day I'm really simming on.

I tried to find some resources that mention average date for the beginning of the colourization of the leaves lies between the 24th of September and the 11th of October. This of course is just marking the beginning it will take some days until you really see it in full swing like you see it in the sim.

http://www.wetter.de/cms/wann-und-warum-verfaerbt-sich-das-laub-2076226.html

So i'd say that having it start at the 1st of October in the Sim sounds reasonable to me.

Kai, September in Europe has always been autumn in FSX & P3d per default. Haven't you been aware of this before? I admit, that's not very realistic, but as Holger already said, it's not an Orbx issue. In some US-areas within the sim the leaves will turn brown already by the end of August, whereas they are still green during that time in these areas in RW. Again, that's not an Orbx issue, but has always been this way in FSX/P3d. 

BTW in late winter/spring it's the same. In the sim trees will carry leaves and blossoms much too early in many areas.

Will there be some high quality German airports and airfields coming from ORBX for FTX GEN and GES in the not too distant future? And if yes, will they be of the same quality as say Jarrad Marshal type of products? I never liked the previous airport offerings by ORBX for Germany due to poor ground texturing. So it would be great to get some highest quality stuff to go along with the new FTX Germany.

Thanks,

Markus

7 hours ago, mburkhard said:

Will there be some high quality German airports and airfields coming from ORBX for FTX GEN and GES in the not too distant future? And if yes, will they be of the same quality as say Jarrad Marshal type of products?

Jarrad's LOWI project will border GES right at it's southern edge, if not even will overlap it.

2 hours ago, John Venema said:

Orbx making airports for GEN and GES depends entirely on the German simmers and how many copies of the regions they purchase.

I see, well I bought it hoping that there would be airports coming soon.

Isn't that a bit of a chicken and egg problem here? People might wait buying the region because there are no airports for it yet, and you wait producing airports for the region until people buy the region... 

Maybe build one airport for each region in any case, just to convince people to buy the region? Doesn't have to be a big airport at all, just a place where we can depart our C182 from :)

6 minutes ago, mburkhard said:

Isn't that a bit of a chicken and egg problem here? People might wait buying the region because there are no airports for it yet, and you wait producing airports for the region until people buy the region... 

While I certainly would acknowledge (any buy) ORBX-style airports, too, it's not that there are no German airports available to work with GEN. The GEN developers invested quite an amount of time into an impressive compatibility index including the complete German Airports, Mega Airports, and German Airfields series.

One issue certainly is, that a large portion of these 3rd party airports were only made  for FSX and never updated. Most of them might be installed or migrated into Prepar3d, but this certainly isn't anyone's coup of tea.

Kind regards, Michael

1 hour ago, mburkhard said:

I see, well I bought it hoping that there would be airports coming soon.

Maybe build one airport for each region in any case, just to convince people to buy the region? Doesn't have to be a big airport at all, just a place where we can depart our C182 from :)

in my opinion it is better to have the region first (and in this case with 386 enhanced airports) and maybe get full customised airports later. Why? I usually need max 10 min from off block to airborne, go for a one hour flight or more, and need some max 5 min from touchdown to on block.  There will be ORBX airports in the future, I'm sure at some point.... 

My 2ct.

cheers

Thorsten

On 13. September 2016 at 7:45 PM, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi guys,

currently, GEN displays fall colors in both September and October but we can certainly look into whether it's feasible to switch that to October only. The complicating issue is that the default seasons control file also assigns fall textures during Sept/Oct in this area. Third-party developers with photoreal ground areas (for which the seasonal progression has to be hard-coded during compilation) would have used the default seasons file to define their monthly progression. In other words, if we change the GEN control file to October only we may create compatibility issues for others during the month of September. Also, during September one would then see summer textures in Germany with a sharp boundary to the default fall textures along the edges of GEN.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,

every single day I spend several hours in the woods, walking with my dog and driving with my car.

since 2-3 weeks now, the leafs started changing colours. And not every year in september we have 12 hours sun each day like it is currently in Germany, and when we get a 'normal' september weather next year, the leafs will start to fall way more early. 

In my opinion it is ok to see the fall is coming in the sim one week prior to see it in the real world... ;-)

cheers

Thorsten

2 hours ago, Turboarrow4 said:

Hi Holger,

every single day I spend several hours in the woods, walking with my dog and driving with my car.

since 2-3 weeks now, the leafs started changing colours. And not every year in september we have 12 hours sun each day like it is currently in Germany, and when we get a 'normal' september weather next year, the leafs will start to fall way more early. 

In my opinion it is ok to see the fall is coming in the sim one week prior to see it in the real world... ;-)

cheers

Thorsten

Two things that come to mind:

1) Starting to change is not the same as having reached the full autumn colour you see in the sim. That is an October thing. In September the predominante colour you see is still green.

2) You are living further down south, which makes your days already a bit shorter, an therefore the leaves will turn red sooner. Here in Bonn there is only ever so much the slightest hint in the regard that the green doesn't look fresh anymore.

I live as south as you can be - 40 km from the Austrian border and everything is still green. The colours come in october, if the autumn storms haven't taken care of the leaves already.

"Golden October" is a known expression for a reason.

PS: I don't fly with the system time so it's moot anyway. I usually fly green or white.

I live where we really have 4 seasons, from +34C to -30C. There is not much happening as of now, it's barely starting and it's never the same each year.

So I can a simulator be so precise?

But I agree, fall colour are awesome. 

A small clip that I did last year:

I only fly with the system time (more or less few hours) and ASN weather and I'd wish that the seasonal changes be more accurate but also the tree textures, as in many regions the trees don't get the glorious reddish tint that we see in North America.

The pic beneath I have just taken from our terrace (Sep 15th 2016 / 17:40 CET). As you can see many of the trees are already changing their colours in our area (Innsbruck), although Temperatures have been between between 25° and 30° the during past week (27° today). Next year the colour change might appear even earlier. So I think the season change in the sim should be left how it is. It can't be accurate for every different year and every different area and altitude.

Herbst.jpg

I have been living in Berlin for 35 years and I know the city quite well. When I took the first flight I was ready to be a little disappointed because I knew my expectations would be somewhat unfair. Having a good feel for the limitations of a 32bit sim and taking into account that this is a "lite" city scenery I was surprised how well my home city was represented. I could fly along the streets and S-Bahn lines I used to commute for decades. Achieving that with a decent performance is a huge step for sim tech. Getting that for some 38€ is a steal!!!

Then i went on to some local small airfields (e.g. EDBZ) that I have been flying from in real life and I was happy to see a very acurate representation of the club houses and hangars and even the unpublished details of the airfield structures! My wife and I were looking for the field we had been forced to do an off-field landing. This way I can relive some good times in my life.

I canot thank you enough for giving Germany that love of detail and I hope so much that there will be airports by someone else then Aerosoft. Especially regional airports with a lite scenery. I know Germans are hard to win over and they are usually a little intimidated by sucessfull companies. But we have one of the most dedicated and largest sim communities in the world here and they are not used to good treatment by sim companies. Give it a try and enbrace the freeware community. 

49 minutes ago, Turboarrow4 said:

Let me put it that way: if we discuss nuances of colours of trees, there seem to be no serious problems with FTX GEN, so again we can put it as a fact that ORBX did a perfect job... ;-)

Cheers

Thorsten

+1

3 hours ago, Turboarrow4 said:

Let me put it that way: if we discuss nuances of colours of trees, there seem to be no serious problems with FTX GEN, so again we can put it as a fact that ORBX did a perfect job... ;-)

Cheers

Thorsten

+2

It's a testament to how far scenery development has progressed, the fact we are debating the colouring of leaves a week here or a week there. As Thorsten pointed out, Orbx has done a marvelous job with this scenery package. Kudos to the development team!

Archived