Who else is excited about the new Dovetail Sim?

Jordan King

Hey Guys,

As some of you may have heard on the interwebs, Dovetail Games will be releasing more details about their new Flight Simulator planned for this year. I know many of you have responded to their asks of what you want to see in a new simulator and I think we are all hopeful that the future is bright for the community of virtual pilots and 3rd parties alike. Who else is looking forward to what they will bring to the market and possibly seeing the likes of ORBX included in that future? 

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am very excited if Dovetail's new release is as open to development as the old FSX and uses code that gets rid of OOM errors and improves framerates using whatever new coding techniques are out there.

I definitely want Orbx to be a part of that future, but part of me wishes that the well-run, has gh quality and growing Orbx would jdevelop their very own base simulator for us to buy.  I think they'd do an awesome job, but respect that John V has carved out an important market niche in what they're doing and suspect that their own sim could come later.

In the meantime, yours truly just determined my max textures were NOT set to 1024 so I'm off to test that "tweak". :)

I think that the challenge, for any new flight simulator, is the amount of money people have already invested in FSX & P3D add-ons and the HUGE amount of freeware (and payware) available.

Once FSX is enhanced with mesh, a weather engine and textures, Orbx's line of Global products and/or regions, and Orbx airports, not to mention AI air and ship traffic, voice packs, etc....., it can be a pretty good looking sim.  However, it also gets pretty bloated, clunky, and OOM prone.

P3D is a nice improvement which can be made to work with many FSX add-ons that people already have.  (It made my OOM's go away. :))

The continued ease of user modification, like adding textures or changing an aircraft.cfg file, is compelling too.

IMHO, a new sim is going to need to perform as smoothly as P3D and look at least as good as Orbx enhanced P3D before I am even going to consider moving to another sim.  The next hurdle will be the cost and availability of my favorite aircraft for the new sim.  I would like to see more accurate aerodynamics than FSX too.

I guess I've set the bar pretty high.   Just my opinion.

Yup, I'm pretty excited for sure! But with that being said, I've got DCS, Xplane10, FSX-SE, P3D and I still love FSX Gold Acc. (Boxed) the best with DX10 (fixer) I'm just so darn invested in it not just with addons but with all of the time I've spent researching and learning how to run it smooth as can be with as much eye candy as possible and close to max settings with no stutters. I have to honestly say that I've had a blast learning and tweaking and researching, for me, it has been so much fun!!.  I've never had a problem with crashes and I've never ever had an OOM, I use all of the high end addons , REX, ASN, NGX blaah blaah Blaah............ Anyway, My point is that I am super excited about any new flight simulator that comes out but always find myself going back to  good old 2006 FSX Acc.

So I guess we'll see what Dovetail comes up with and if ORBX is in I'm in for a try but I'm thinking it's going to be a good while before we see something revolutionary that will change the sim world more than P3D has and I'm not knocking P3D at all, I think it's fantastic but I wouldn't say it's revolutionary......yet

just my two cents ;)

Not excited, never heard of it until this thread.

But then again, I didn't line up to see the new Star Wars movie either.  I'm not in a hurry to try to be with the in crowd....I don't have stainless steel appliances, I don't have a tablet, I don't have the latest iPhone, I don't have really overly tight pants and sports jackets that are so tight they wrinkle and the tie hangs down the bottom (what's with that anyway). I live for today, not what might be coming or what went on before.

If a new sim comes along, I'll check it out and see if I think if its worthy of my money.  Until then I am plenty happy with FSX beefed up with Orbx world scenery and all the other stuff I've invested in over the years.

cheers.

According to Dovetail's chief developer Martin the press release is expected for this week. And, yes, despite I am happy with Prepar3d I am closely following the development (as far as an outsider can do). Martin stated already (http://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/13/458604254470618119/ (#22))

"We are committed to developing a flight simulator which takes full advantage of modern PC technology and can be continuously built upon as well as providing all the tools that existing add-on developers need to create great content for the new simulator." 

I would interpret this -  maybe somewhat optimistically - as an open SDK. 

Kind regards, Michael

Not to sound like I'm set in my ways, but I already struggle to find the time to use all the simulators and add ons I already have.  Personally I'm not ready for another one.  I'm very happy with all the sims I am currently using, FSX, P3D, and DCS World being the main 3 at the moment.  I haven't even touched IL-2 Sturmovik-Battle of Stalingrad, and I've hardly touched Rise of Flight over the past 3 months.  I have a heap of other non sim PC purchases I haven't even opened yet!  

I'm not against a new sim entering the market at all, it's just that I am not personally interested at the moment.

Cheers,

41 minutes ago, wedge1047 said:

Interested - yes, excited? - not yet.

Same with me but because of the upcoming release, I didn't jump into P3D to see what Dovetail is up to.

As for OOM's, of course there will not be any since the sim will be 64-bit if they are smart.

I've watched the new DCS 1.5 and 2.0 but it is not my cup of tea. If Dovetail will release a sim like that but then with a global (ORBX) cover, the nice (ORBX) ambiance, the true immersive (ORBX) environment, together with all the planes already available for FSX and P3D, then it will be a no brainer.

Not very sure about Dovetail. I suspect with Dovetail that the SIM will be locked down from third party developers like Microsoft flight was. You'll be forced to buy and use the DLC that Dovetail approves of and releases. You wont have the same freedoms to use payware and freeware addon aircraft, scenery's and weather from the web like we now do with FSX. If am wrong and it has the same freedoms as FSX then I am all for it.

1 hour ago, RHaas said:

Not very sure about Dovetail. I suspect with Dovetail that the SIM will be locked down from third party developers like Microsoft flight was. You'll be forced to buy and use the DLC that Dovetail approves of and releases. You wont have the same freedoms to use payware and freeware addon aircraft, scenery's and weather from the web like we now do with FSX. If am wrong and it has the same freedoms as FSX then I am all for it.

Read the quote from Dovetails lead developer in post no. 9. I believe their new sim will be open for third party development. I'm looking forward to what Dovetail will come up with. Their intentions seem good,

I'm still searching for the energy to morph into P3D, which I hope would accept most of my expensive planes and terrains without much complaint.  Would like to know if it's worth the effort.  Not to mention time constraints and other responsibilities away from the computer.  I do know one thing, the buying public is very fickle.

FSX came out in 2006 and it wasn't until 2010 that it started to come of age with enough addons to make us happy, that took 4 years and now we are 10 years later and still waiting for lots more stuff. Remember P3D is FSX patched by an aircraft manufacturer so it really doesn't matter if you are still FSX, FSX:SE or P3D, you are all still in the same family base code and many addons have multi installers that work on all three platforms now, this is the FSX generation of sims regardless of which one you are using.

A new title from DTG could take years for developers to catch up as well, just like FSX did. if it is great over time we will port over to it, in the mean time I am happy with my FSX:SE and ORBX world with PMDG aircraft. I will get what DTG offers and watch it develop over time.

Yeah interested sure but excited...not by a long shot.  I am very happy they are doing something with it and hope that it does stay on par with what LM has done with the code but aside from better frames, the only area I see that needs improvement to the original FSX code that both DTG and LM use is in the ATC department.  Being able to pick SIDs, STARs, terminals to arrive at, Pilot controlled lighting, use of Unicom to order fuel and request ground services, VFR Flight following allowing hand offs to your destination airport, radio calls for helos...I know this is not a wish list thread but just pointing out how many things are missing or can be improved on in that aspect of the sim.

Eye Candy, we have. Weather engines, detailed planes, lighting, auto gen etc...we have and while all of it has room to be improved on, it basically will be that improved while there are areas in the ATC that need to be new and introduced. I won't be interested in moving to a new sim quickly for improvements to stuff we already have. Especially since LM is already doing that, but give me something new that I dont have and cant get in my sim and want and then I'm excited. 

Not excited that's for sure.   Skeptical is what I'd call myself.  If they go to a 64 bit sim then ALL of my add-ons are useless.  And if I had to re-buy all of what I now have that would be a colossal waste of money.

Can you imagine how much work it would be to re-create all of the current items I use now to 64 bit?

All ORBX, ASN, FSUIPC, GSX, A2A, Real Air, PMDG, Q400, FlyTampa, TrackIR, EXCA, etc, etc.

And I'll bet Dovetail will force you to buy all these add-ons from THEM and not the developers.

Just my two cents.

If they came out with one it would have to be SO realistic that I would not be able to tell the real world from the sim.

How about something crazy like a sim that looks like a drone flying in real life?  THAT kind of real I'd be interested in.  But you'd probably need the computing power of the NSA to run it.

28 minutes ago, JS07 said:

Can you imagine how much work it would be to re-create all of the current items I use now to 64 bit?

All ORBX, ASN, FSUIPC, GSX, A2A, Real Air, PMDG, Q400, FlyTampa, TrackIR, EXCA, etc, etc.

And I'll bet Dovetail will force you to buy all these add-ons from THEM and not the developers.

You may be right. However, DT wants to sell this, and in a big way. DT is not a little garage shop. According to a previous DT press release, one can estimate around 70-80 people to work on DFS later this year. That's the order of magnitude ACES had working on FSX at maximum, if memory serves me right, Those employees have to be paid, add licence fees, data etc.

If the firms named above will be involved at all, which no one knows at this point (except JV and the likes), DT should be clever enough to know that no one is going to buy all the stuff at full price again. That has been one stumbling block for XP. They will be forced to find a scheme making this endavour profitable for DT as well as 3rd parties and at the same time bearable and attractive for the customer. If DFS fails, DT might be history, and I expect them to know that. All flightsims I have seen failing during the last 25 years (some of them with tears in the eyes) did not fail because of technological flaws but wrong business decisions.

Kind regards, Michael

At least developers have the 3D models and textures outside of FSX. If no backward compatibility due to a 64 bit environment the programming will need to be reworked 

ORBX has a tremendous 3D model library and texture library that will still be an asset, it is just how to place that into a new sim that will be the challenge 

Hi,

X-Plane has been around since 1993. The first version I tried may have been around 2000. It will not be the next big thing but remain the next small thing.

Otherwise I know ORBX doesn't line X-Plane topics to be discussed in the forums, sure for a reason. thus I shouldn't go into further detail here.

Kind regards, Michael

I look forward to seeing what Dovetail has created.  Im always open to new things.  I had hoped P3D was that new thing I was looking for but I obviously see differently than most.

I'm looking for a flying environment that excites me and amazes me and makes me want to get up amongst the clouds.  thats the basis of flying as I see it.  the other side is the fun

technical side with startup sequences and computers and other electronics that do what they should and paraphrase their real life counterparts.  and ATC of course.

I hope they cover both sides of the picture but if its not enjoyable then whats the point?

I am looking forward to it and will try it if it is a serious flight simulator, not like Microsoft's last venture, and it is not just a dressed up FSX.  I hope Dovetail can pull it off.  I still wonder by Orbx doesn't come up with their own.  At this point I would think they have all the necessary technical experience to do so.

2 hours ago, pmb said:

Overall not bad indeed. Unfortunately no mention of 3rd party involvement and/or compatibility. I suspect JV wants to tell us something on this later on.

Kind regards, Michael

From the horses mouth:

"There are currently no plans to include third party content in Flight School. That will really be a standalone experience focused on learning to fly. DTG Flight Simulator is a different story, we will absolutely be looking to work with third party developers just like we have been doing with FSX: Steam Edition."

As for compatibility:

We asked for a 64 bit application!

We knew that migrating to x64 bit code would necessarily involve new compiling (dll, exe's, etc.), and probably /surely we will have to

pay for developers porting their addons.

Cheers.

Archived