Oh My God! ORBX and DTG Brings Back Meigs Field!

Jordan King

This is one of the GREATEST things I have ever seen! This field was closed a long time ago in a travesty of governance by Chicagos mayor. You can watch this documentary here:

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqwQbAxhVxs

But ORBX and DTG are bringing it back to life! As is the case with the other ORBX FSX Steam exclusives announced, it will likely eventually make its way to the regular ORBX market some time after the release on Steam.

https://fsxinsider.com/orbxs-meigs-field-coming-first-to-fsx-steam-edition/

"Flight simulation has been intertwined with the legendary Meigs Field for decades. Few airports hold as much nostalgia, familiarity, and emotion for aviation enthusiasts. Located on the coast of Lake Michigan, Meigs Field operated as the gateway to corporate Chicago for over half a century.

Now, twelve years after its closure, Meigs Field (KCGX) has been recreated with the utmost attention to detail and accuracy. Depicted as it was in its final years, virtual pilots are welcomed to return to what was once the busiest single strip airport in the United States and enjoy it in high definition.

Featuring a fully modeled terminal, highly detailed static aircraft, and other historically accurate elements, the airport has been brought back to life. In addition to the airfield itself, the city of Chicago waterfront and parks district has received a facelift to bring the area up to date. With over a decade of combined experience in flight simulation development, Alex Goff and Tim Harris have developed Meigs Field using latest technology to provide a beautiful and smooth flight simulation experience.

Key features

• 30cm ground imagery for airport and Chicago waterfront
  • Custom 5m mesh
  • Highly accurate rendition of Meigs Field as it stood in the early 2000’s
  • Waterfront landmarks including the Adler Planetarium, Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum, Soldier Field, and McCormick Place Convention Center
  • Optional custom autogen trees for improved authenticity
  • Optional custom ground bump map for improved clarity
  • Full control panel app to customize player’s level of detail"

2015-7-13_17-54-43-903.png

2015-7-13_17-53-7-880.png

ORBX: spend your time, energy, and staff on projects that are currently realistic and that exist!!!  If Meigs Feild no longer exists, then it exist in FSX-Steam, or P3D.  But, that is ONLY my opinion.!! 

Matthew

What do you think of the tattoo I am getting in your honor when this is released? 

Alex.jpg

Just make sure to add Tim's name in there as well! Maybe one on each arm?

Will the Steam Edition Never have object flow?

I hope not!

Our products for FSX:SE are designed to be standalone and face no issues with updates. As a result we cannot use ObjectFlow as it is very sensitive to updates. The airport is a bit more "static" as a result but it is a trade off to ensure it does not break between versions. The triple installer will include all of the ObjectFlow powered items you are used to. 

ORBX: spend your time, energy, and staff on projects that are currently realistic and that exist!!!  If Meigs Feild no longer exists, then it exist in FSX-Steam, or P3D.  But, that is ONLY my opinion.!! 

Matthew

I've spent 5 years now developing and shipping products that all still exist and can be seen every day. Taking a few months during a period when I had no other projects ready to start felt like a great time to create a product that depicts an area that no person will ever be able to see again. Especially one that is so prominently intertwined with flight simulation. Neither Tim nor myself delayed other work to get this done. It felt like the right time to do this and I think we were both very pleased to be able to work on such an important piece of flightsim history :)

Matthew

Certainly a valid opinion, tho I suspect you're in the vast minority on this one. Personally, meigs wasn't one I had much opinion about either way, but there has been much interest expressed in it, at least in this forum. And after seeing the results, it will definitely be on my list, looks awesome. My list is pretty long already though.

Hello Again

That's OK,  Its only my opinion.  I'm NOT spending any $$ on an airport that doesn't exist "anymore"!  "Its NOT AS REAL AS IT GETS".  But, what harm is being done for all those that are interested!!  Enjoy!  I will simply fly into Midway.

Matthew

Hello Again

That's OK,  Its only my opinion.  I'm NOT spending any $$ on an airport that doesn't exist "anymore"!  "Its NOT AS REAL AS IT GETS".  But, what harm is being done for all those that are interested!!  Enjoy!  I will simply fly into Midway.

Matthew

You mean land there or just crash into the passenger terminal ??

:ph34r:

Oh My!!!!!

Microsoft Flight Simulator used to start at Meig's Field on the initial Flight upon purchase of the product!!!!

It will be like coming home to an old friend............but  in a way only Orbx can do!!!

I already have FSX-SE.........but this alone would have caused me to go purchase.....just for old Meig's Field once again!!!

Many Thanks Fella's..........as Always......Top Shelf!!!

Cheers,

Oh My!!!!!

Microsoft Flight Simulator used to start at Meig's Field on the initial Flight upon purchase of the product!!!!

It will be like coming home to an old friend............but  in a way only Orbx can do!!!

I already have FSX-SE.........but this alone would have caused me to go purchase.....just for old Meig's Field once again!!!

Many Thanks Fella's..........as Always......Top Shelf!!!

Cheers,

I'll second that SGTMAJOR!   I've been simming since SubLogic days and have many fond memories of Meigs Field.  Learned to navigate using VOR in this area too.

Rob..... I hear ya!!

I even took a vacation trip to Champaign, Ill. to visit SubLogic and purchase a BUNCH of their "payware" addon disks.  (5 1/4 1.2 Meg disks........woo hoo!!!  State of the Art Back then)  Sad part of it.......I still have those old SubLogic disks in a box in the closet.  Bet I won't use those ever again!! (smile)

Ahhh yes......the ground was green and the sky was blue.....roads were a black line....railroads were a brown line......provided you had an RGB Monitor and not just and green or amber screen. (Smile).....however, with that set of disks I could fly my little Cessna 182 RG from coast to coast using their supplied maps.  (Black on white....just the VOR, ADF and yes even Military Tacan freq's)  

Did many a flight from Champaign (KCMI to Meig's). (smile)

Cheers,

Matthew

Half of the airports that ORBX makes are special because the average simmer doesn't have access to them or wouldn't be able to fly to them in real life anyway. So what is the difference here? Most of us will probably die before we ever get the chance to fly into Milford Sound in New Zealand, but it is one of my most popular destinations in FSX.

I see no difference between an airport you will never see in real life and a historic airfield and brings nostalgia to the community. Having access to airports, planes, and scenarios that you would never get to experience in real life is exactly what makes flight simulation so amazing!

Matthew

Cushman Meadows is a fictional airport that never existed and a popular ORBX product, this one will be even more popular, sorry you can't see that but the majority out way you 

Half of the airports that ORBX makes are special because the average simmer doesn't have access to them or wouldn't be able to fly to them in real life anyway. So what is the difference here? Most of us will probably die before we ever get the chance to fly into Milford Sound in New Zealand, but it is one of my most popular destinations in FSX.

I see no difference between an airport you will never see in real life and a historic airfield and brings nostalgia to the community. Having access to airports, planes, and scenarios that you would never get to experience in real life is exactly what makes flight simulation so amazing!

+1  Jordan  

brilliant idea for Orbx to bring back Meigs Field I'm sticking with Boxed FSX so will need to wait patiently for the 90day timer to click over. I'm all for the nostalgia, it brings back fond memories, I must have done at least thousand T&G's between with the various early Flightsimulators 3.0 4.0 5.0 5.1 95 98 2004 before FSXing my sim needs.

I never had any earlier sim version than 3.0 and memory fails me if it was in 2002 2004 version before Meigs disappeared in FSX. 

FS in all its variations have airfields popularised by FS some because they are known worldwide and still in use to this day, others because of human travel & tourism, and others who learned to fly real aircraft out of these airports/fields made more realistic over time for our simming pleasure by the gifted developers both here @Orbx and around the FS world.

(interestingly even if someone has never been there in R/L they can get a sense of what others who know it well or remember it historically loved about it) though I am not a fan of completely fictitious airfields created from imagination that are offered around the "freeware world" Meigs Field actually existed at one time and satisfies all the reasons I love FlightSim right from the beginning that have been there from the start, this one in particular will be a welcome return.

How many of us remember the simple pleasure even with that crackly mono sound coming from those simple aircraft models in an even more basic scenery @ Meigs Field, and yes we could spend hours just doing circuts  or learning that darn ADF and VOR stuff from Meigs to Champlain / Midway / O'Hare and further afield into the blandness, until the creative among us turned their attention to making it better for us all.

Hello Again

Matthew

Technically, that Midway (inside your computer...) doesn't exist either in the real world....so...um...ah.... ;)

Nostalgia is a MAJOR element in the lives of flight enthusiasts. What did LaGuardia look like in 1940? A lot of people would enjoy that as well. A whole new "type" of world would pop up but with one problem. High resolution photos of the surrounding areas at the time of the project. You would have to live with today's NY with the old LGA. Might be too much for the imagination. Then again, ORBX talent may have an answer.

Nostalgia is a MAJOR element in the lives of flight enthusiasts. What did LaGuardia look like in 1940? A lot of people would enjoy that as well. A whole new "type" of world would pop up but with one problem. High resolution photos of the surrounding areas at the time of the project. You would have to live with today's NY with the old LGA. Might be too much for the imagination. Then again, ORBX talent may have an answer.

A freeware site much like Orbx, but not so detailed, exists only to provide a nostalgic flying experience to those of us who remember the era when transition from propliners to jets. California Classics provides the vintage aircraft from the early 1960s and a worldwide selection of airports to match as well as a comprehensive ai program consisting of first generation jet airliners and late generation propliners as well as military cargo aircraft of the time for those of us who like to go back in time.

I like flying a Twin Beech D18S or a Spartan as well as a DC-3 from time to time. It's the only reason I keep FS9 alive.

Noel

I get the 'it's not as real as it gets' idea but don't forget that with FSX out of the box you are flying around in a 9 year old world... airports, roads, VORs, whatever, it's all 9 years old already. And even though Orbx products usually are as real as it gets, they are as real as it gets on release day. An airport that has been released 5 years ago, is 5 years old now... So there is a limit to 'as real as it gets' anyway.

Besides, I don't buy every airport Orbx releases, I only by the ones I want, but I won't post in every topic about a new one that I won't be getting it. So in that regard the post is a bit odd. If you don't like the idea of Meigs, ignore it. I myself won't buy Meigs (I am still waiting for Norwegian airports... ;) ) but I still think it's a great idea and I am sure it will be a very big hit!

I didn't mean to set off a firestorm here guys/gals.  Its ONLY my opinion that I DONT want to own any airport in my FSX that doesn't exist in 'real life' and that includes Cushmen Meadows.  Like I said I will fly into my Fly-Tampa Midway!   LOL,   Meigs Field is a Nostalgic piece for Flight Simmers and being that it is coming from ORBX it will no doubt be a great piece of scenery. I'm just not going to pay for it.        

I HOPE that you all enjoy Meigs Field!!  = ).  

Matthew  

My first flight sim was FS1 when I was 12 years old on my old Apple 2e. we used to trade floppy disks around the school yard and I got the program that way. I spent more time on it then I would other games at the time and imagination went a long way to fill in the blanks. I remember seeing Sublogic Flight Sim 2 in the mall and that was the beginning of Meigs, I was 12 in 1983 and saw it in the store for $65, boy did I mow a lot of lawns for months to get that, the anticipation was killing me. Every release from that point on was Meigs until FS2000 (I believe), so that was 7 releases showcasing Meigs.

Yes it would be awesome to relive my youth with all the latest advancements in Flight Simulator Technologies from the Hardware to the Software and everything that ORBX has to offer. Thanks again ORBX you guys are awesome. 

Archived