Oh My God! ORBX and DTG Brings Back Meigs Field!

Jordan King

I've spent 5 years now developing and shipping products that all still exist and can be seen every day. Taking a few months during a period when I had no other projects ready to start felt like a great time to create a product that depicts an area that no person will ever be able to see again. Especially one that is so prominently intertwined with flight simulation. Neither Tim nor myself delayed other work to get this done. It felt like the right time to do this and I think we were both very pleased to be able to work on such an important piece of flightsim history :)

Agreed.  Meigs is awesome, one of my favourite airports, and I can't wait to fly to it again.

I'll certainly be purchasing both Friday Harbor and Meigs Field, once they become available via the regular Orbx channel (FSS). Yes, Meigs Field was my first FS airport, way back in 1988.

Now, I just re-read the DTG/Steam announcement at https://fsxinsider.com/orbxs-meigs-field-coming-first-to-fsx-steam-edition/.  It appears both Friday Harbor and Meigs Field will be available on Steam "later this year".  Adding 90 days to that, I'm guessing sometime during the first quarter of 2016 before they become available on FSS.  Will just be patient. :)

Huh?  ???   To the best of my knowledge, Chicago Midway is very much active.

Er...I meant the rendition  'inside' the computer....not the real world Midway....but he uses it (Midway)to his satisfaction.  I drew that to also just enjoying that Chicago downtown gem.... :), brought back to life, as an 'inside job'...(wink).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It'll be Steam exclusive for 90 days and after that point a triple installer will be released for all other sims with the rest of the Orbx enhancements applied (ObjectFlow!)

Great news, I love Chicago and that field looks just awesome ;)

How will it work? Will I be able to get the tripple installer later as an upgrade or free, if I am buying the FSXSE version now?

Cheers

Perry

I can't wait for this. I grew up outside Chicago and had plans to fly to Meigs with a family friend two days after it was destroyed by Daley. We of course had no idea what was going to happen to it and were so saddened by what happened. I remember going downtown as a kid and seeing Meigs field there. That was before I knew I really wanted to be a pilot but I always wondered what it would be like flying in and out of the airport. Then when I finally had the chance, it was ruined. I don't know if the Meigs closing is something I'll ever get over, because even though I never flew there, it still holds a special place in the evolution of my love of aviation.

Wow, guys, that's great! Meigs Field was the airport where I did my first virtual takeoff, in FS4. I was about 10 years old then. And Misha is working on Half Moon Bay, my other favourite from Flight Unlimited II... Those two airports have defined my flight simming for years, and now they came back in never before seen glory. I love you guys, seriously!! :) And thanks for releasing it for standard FSX and for P3D, too!

Just make sure to add Tim's name in there as well! Maybe one on each arm?

Our products for FSX:SE are designed to be standalone and face no issues with updates. As a result we cannot use ObjectFlow as it is very sensitive to updates. The airport is a bit more "static" as a result but it is a trade off to ensure it does not break between versions. The triple installer will include all of the ObjectFlow powered items you are used to. 

I've spent 5 years now developing and shipping products that all still exist and can be seen every day. Taking a few months during a period when I had no other projects ready to start felt like a great time to create a product that depicts an area that no person will ever be able to see again. Especially one that is so prominently intertwined with flight simulation. Neither Tim nor myself delayed other work to get this done. It felt like the right time to do this and I think we were both very pleased to be able to work on such an important piece of flightsim history :)

Well said and agreed by many, and thanks for your time and many important contributions Alex and Tim

Don

Whilst I have the steam edition, I will always wait for Orbx to release these with full Object Flow etc in the fullness of time :)    I like all the bells and whistles and I am old enough and ugly enough to remember how to wait a mere 90 days for the best :) .

Regards

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

Aaaaha the memories:

This is hilarious! I was laughing out loud!

Just discovered this thread and that ORBX will be releasing it for FSX and I can't wait.

I have very fond memories of all the iterations of Meigs boing back to the Atari 800, Atari XL, Mac SE, early PC's and then removed. So glad you guys are doing this.

I will be buying this the very day it's released. Great job ORBX as usual. Love your products. Can't get enough of them. Just bought South NZ last night.

Cheers.

Jack

I'm all for this. For those of us who've been simming since the Sublogic days this will bring back memories. Now if only Orbx would do Van Nuys.

AppleIIFSII_1.PNG

Man, I thought that was SO high tech back then. I spent my life in real-world aviation but I still loved SubLogic and Meigs. I can't even count how many times I flew out of there in the old SubLogic days.

We've come a long way since this screenshot.

Archived