Heads up: openLC NA split release and Vector 1.3 update

John Venema

Hello everyone,

In the coming week we'll be testing openLC Alaska/Canada which is now about 90% done. Preview screenshots will begin as soon as Emmsie and co get to play with it.

We listen to our customers, and because you've asked for it, we're going to split openLC NA into two products, both triple-installers and FSX:SE ready.

1. openLC NA Alaska/Canada - due August - AU$19.95 (US$14.50 £9.50 €13.50)
2. openLC NA USA - later this year - AU$19.95 (US$14.50 £9.50 €13.50)

The price is effectively half of the original $39.95 planned for all of NA. This approach means you get Artic/Alaska/Canada *now* instead of waiting until later this year, and you're not paying any more for the split products.

The rest of openLC USA is well underway and we are negotiating with more contractors to help refine and better represent the small towns and settlements which have been the major hiccup. We want everyone in the USA to be able to accurately recognise their home town.

In terms of new ground textures there is a vast new palette already done for the USA to better represent the SE coast, deserts, cities, suburbs, rural plains and everything in between. It will be like a 'mega-region' covering the whole of the USA and we're excited about it already!

UPDATE: I've posted some alpha preview shots in the USAhttp://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/100340-first-ever-alpha-screenshots-of-openlc-na/

Vector 1.3

The PILOT'S team are doing final compiles of the Vector 1.3 update which addresses many user reported bugs and missing features and add major new data for PNG and North America. We hope to have this in testers' hands by the end of next week. Vector v1.3 will be a free update and triple-installer.

PILOT'S is under contract to Orbx to product Vector 1.4, 1.5 and 1.6 over the coming 24 months, so the commitment to the roadmap is very real and it's a multi six-figure investment by Orbx, our largest single contract ever negotiated in our company history. We want Vector to be the go-to product for everyone and the only way to achieve that goal is constant improvement.

I hope this news is welcome to you all, and I do thank you for your patience given the delays in our rollout roadmap announced back in 2013. It will be worth the extra wait.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The split : a welcome and smart decision ! Glad you go this way.

Vector : great to see that there's a long term commitment from OrbX. This is a product I couldn't do without and which is not the hog that some say. It would be nice if the AEC tool could now do airport corrections outside of the database where Vector has already done something.

What about Global :) ? Revisiting some textures, specially after what the team has done for OpenLC, would certainly be interesting. Thinking of urban textures for instance and how they clash with Vector in some areas.

What about Global  :) ? Revisiting some textures, specially after what the team has done for OpenLC, would certainly be interesting. Thinking of urban textures for instance and how they clash with Vector in some areas.

Texture enhancements to Global BASE are provided by the openLC packs. There are a huge amount (GB's) of new unique textures for North America for instance. This includes new autogen, seasons and night lighting as well.

Texture enhancements to Global BASE are provided by the openLC packs. There are a huge amount (GB's) of new unique textures for North America for instance. This includes new autogen, seasons and night lighting as well.

Great. Could the new textures be called by the default or third party LC outside the OpenLC areas ? What you did with Global and Vector has really improved a lot of places outside fat and OpenLC areas, made the world more flyable in a way...

Great. Could the new textures be called by the default or third party LC outside the OpenLC areas ? What you did with Global and Vector has really improved a lot of places outside fat and OpenLC areas, made the world more flyable in a way...

No, openLC is not using default LC mapping, that's how it achieves the versatility and lack of repetition that plagues default LC.

OpenLC's name is somewhat misleading: it's far more than LC. It contains unique new LC classes and GB's of textures, new autogen textures and thousands upon thousands of polygon LC shapes. It's closer to an FTX region versus just an LC-only product.

Very very good!

Cheers,

iPhone-Tapatalk

Thanks for the update John! Earlier this year I re-installed FSX on a new MacBook Pro that follows our regular back and forth between Belgium and Spain.  I went exclusively Orbx for that install and I love it! You folks are contributing a lot to the immersion factor, four our enjoyment.  Looking forward to purchase Alaska/Canada very soon.

Jean-Jacques

Wow..wow...and wow.....this should be amazing!

Thank you, John!

Thanks for the heads up and the VERY exciting new LC textures on their way. They look absolutely stunning!!! I am still (mostly) addicted to full-fat regions and small/medium airport packages but clearly the dual track produces benefits to both so count me in. The LC boosts the Global and Vector combination hugely and will allow a quicker expansion into areas that otherwise could still be many years away!

Thanks for the update John. It's been a long wait but will obviously be worth it, as you've promised. The surprise news (at least to me) is the Vector 1.3 announcement and that it should be out soon. Wasn't expecting that, and hope to see some screenies of some of the improvements 1.3 will contain to whet the appetite.

Thank you again...

Wonderful news John and thanks for the update.

No problems with the wait as we have plenty of ORBX products to keep us amused in the meantime.

My Tornado is on standby loaded with Napalm ready to visit anyone who grizzles!

Very thoughtful update and great news. I'll be happy to get Alaska and Canada but not worried about the time frame.

This pertains more to regions but I'm hopeful that the U.K. urban textures would be revisited at some point to bring them up to PNW quality.

thanks for the update, i'm glad that the global approach continues. I've just made a fly from LGAV Athen (fly tampa) to LDSP  Split-Croatia (Aerosoft) with ORBX europe open lc and i was very suprised by the quality of the ORBX landclass in this region.

look forward to get my hands on the new upcomming global product.

"1. openLC NA Alaska/Canada - due August - AU$19.95 (US$14.50 £9.50 €13.50)"

I showed the Finance minister this and she has approved my buying this as my early B-Day Present. She knows how critical Arctic Canadian Territories are to my heart and blood. They are half my blood next to the Yankee Cheese-Head side of me lol. So i'm gonna be pesky about CYXP, CYGT locations and land-forms/LC surrounding there approach's and hamlets. 

Archived