Heads up: openLC NA split release and Vector 1.3 update

John Venema

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Luv the new products! Wanted to give a heads up about an airport that needs to be looked at. I'm in the process of transitioning from fsx to p3dv2.5 and its a dynamic proscess. So, im not 100% sure that the deal is because of open lc N/A or vector, or utx, or a conflict between utx & vector, at the moment. Sorry, i planned on doing much more testing before i brought it up, but i saw this morning that oc na seems completed & i wanted to give u guys a chance to look into this one. Check KDWH. David Wayne Hooks Memorial airport in Spring, Texas, USA. There are houses & trees on the taxiways, & trees blocking the approaches. Again, it is a possibility that this is a utxv2 issue, not orbx. Although presently i suspect open lc na. Please please feel free to move this post to a more appropriate area, and feel free to contact me. I will look more into it as soon as i get a chance. Busy with work this week so its been difficult to look in on the sim.

Best regards, Steve

Dear Orbx team;

Was wondering on how the beta test with Vector 3.0 is going?

Many thanks,

I would also like to know how testing is going on 1.30 of Vector. I have been holding off purchase since release because I knew it would have teething issues due to the scope of the project, but it sounds like 1.30 will be awesome. So just waiting for its release to check it out!

Late to the pudding, have been quite busy!  But as always, very appreciate of the generous work ORBX does on each and every one of its efforts.

Picked up the first OpenLCNA, happy to wait until the second is ready, and excited to hear Vector 1.3 is getting closer.

To celebrate, since the OpenLC was so inexpensive, also picked up KEGE, which is probably the best thing Jarrad Marshall has ever done, incredible work, detail and size of the airport scenery area.

Thanks to all of you, as always!

• 3 weeks later...

Just flew from Calgary to Winnipeg and, just as I suspected, the improvement of OLC NA/CA over default is most striking over this mostly farmland and prairie!

Gone is the tiresome repetition of square, rectangular and triangular shaped fields!  I tried hard to find repeated patterns but did not. It would be hard to tell it is not photo real, unless you knew the area (from the air) real well.

Really makes flying over non-premium enhanced scenery fun!

Good job guys!

cmitch

=====================

• 4 weeks later...

Based on the change list for Vector v1.3, I'm thinking that Orbx isn't getting their money's worth out of that six-figure contract. Is Pilots aware that the entire country of China has bad data? Most commercial data has roads and terrain features purposely offset for "national security" reasons. In FSX, it is not possible to land at many Chinese airports because of invisible bridges and other anomalies caused by Vector's failure to match up the various data sources. The whole place is a giant mess.

• 2 weeks later...

I have studiously avoided flying over the Eastern states for most of my simming life as I found the default scenery boring and awful..I recently had occasion to take a look at the Smokey Mountains, the Blue Ridge, and the Appalachians and was stunned an the improvements that Orbx have made there with Vector,OLC and Global.., and now I see that it is going to get even better with this coming release.. Thanks once again Orbx, I can wait.. but not patiently.. Teecee.

I have studiously avoided flying over the Eastern states for most of my simming life as I found the default scenery boring and awful..I recently had occasion to take a look at the Smokey Mountains, the Blue Ridge, and the Appalachians and was stunned an the improvements that Orbx have made there with Vector,OLC and Global.., and now I see that it is going to get even better with this coming release.. Thanks once again Orbx, I can wait.. but not patiently.. Teecee.

Minor correction Teecee if I may.  The OLC part of the USA mainland isn't released yet, only the Canaca/Alaska/Artic portion so far.  What you're seeng now is Global textures and Vector (plus hopefully you have the FTXGlobal Mesh).  So, when the OLC for the US comes out it will be even better!!!   :D

Hi Rob

Minor correction Teecee if I may.  The OLC part of the USA mainland isn't released yet, only the Canaca/Alaska/Artic portion so far.  What you're seeng now is Global textures and Vector (plus hopefully you have the FTXGlobal Mesh).  So, when the OLC for the US comes out it will be even better!!!   :D

Did you mean FSGlobal Mesh, or have I missed something.

Kind regards

Ian

I was not sure that was making the vast improvements to the eastern side of the USA, so I included all the addons that

I have installed..Thanks for the correction.. Re the global mesh..I will have a look and get back to you on that..Teecee.

Hi Rob

Did you mean FSGlobal Mesh, or have I missed something.

Kind regards

Ian

Pilots has an FTX Compatible 2010 MESH which ORBX uses to design scenery/airport locations etc. It is one of several MESH offerings that Pilots sells and is available at the flightsimstore.

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, addman said:

Hoping that OpenLC NA part deux is still a 2015 release.(?)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed as well.

However, given that the developers haven't yet posted screenshots indicates to me that the release has been delayed until further notice.

Too bad.  I was hoping for what I would consider to be the best Christmas gift I've had in many years.

Dave

6 minutes ago, b1bmsgt said:

Would be nice to hear something about this, wouldn't it?

Russ

On 12/15/2015 at 0:58 AM, John Venema said:

openLC NA USA/Mexico (including Hawaii and the Caribbean) will be delayed until the new year. All the new textures and LC are done and we're just waiting on final autogen and night lighting to be completed. We may possibly be in beta as soon as late next week but as you can understand there's no way I am going to sign off on it without testing most of the millions of square miles of landclass, so I'd rather it be in good shape and delay release for a bit. I'm confident it will be out in the first quarter, possibly by February.

1 hour ago, Boyjohn said:

Why does the openLC NA Alaska/Canada show up in FTX global group rather then the North America Group ?

Cuz the North American Group includes the Full Regions, for example, NCA, PNW, etc., and does not include the Open Land Class items, of which OpenLC NA Alaska/Canada is a member.

Thanks for both of  the answers.  Trying to understand some of the functionality to FTX . If the OpenLC products are considered to  global then what are the Northern and Southern California products consider? Are they seen as scenery additions Promise this is my last question

The California add-ons are considered Regions.  ORBX has Regions, OpenLC and Global, as well as Vector.  Global is a global texture replacement for the default sim textures.  OpenLC, means Open Land Class, meaning that the land classifications are modified to reflect proper geographic features (farms, urban, golf course, etc.) and then the Regions are a more enhanced set of textures which also include the enhanced or advanced PeopleFlow, ObjectFlow, etc.  For optimal sim experience, having all three PLUS FTX Vector, will ensure a more realistic and geographically accurate experiences...at least this is how I interpreted it. :)

-Jim

It's also probably useful to point out that the "Regions" are perhaps the most sophisticated of the products, since they use their own Landclass and "Vector" components, with no need for Open Land Class and Vector that are desirable if you're flying outside a Region.  Regions are self-contained in themselves.

5 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

It's also probably useful to point out that the "Regions" are perhaps the most sophisticated of the products, since they use their own Landclass and "Vector" components, with no need for Open Land Class and Vector that are desirable if you're flying outside a Region.  Regions are self-contained in themselves.

Actually, it's very useful Stewart.  You did a little better job explaining the difference. 

-Jim

Archived