Trees HD - Improved Fall and Spring, with Comparison Shots!

Hi all,

Due to popular request I've improved the Fall and Spring trees by adding some beautiful colors to Fall, and a few flowering trees to Spring!  Take a look at the shots below, and I think you'll agree with me when I say that these seasons are tremendously improved :)  Fall, especially, is an absolute joy to fly in now!

-Scott

Fall Comparison Shots:

Old:

2d6725a5ee73fa77f4fd54e1eaea2c02.jpg

New:

84ef4c44fdbcd70b9e6d29d8f68b81d2.jpg

Old:

d022689108006fb1deac7100e2a676a6.jpg

New:

84ecfa89ce0188cb69d8bde8bf788daf.jpg

A few Fall non-comparison shots:

a1634f2a84cdd1ebcdff8b3f51353069.jpg

95ce4f11fe78536248b2b067a49f1d17.jpg

d4110ad77a2947957608ea1696538b0e.jpg

cc54ec72314887ea3ed3b207eefc25c2.jpg

418bf8d1b447a07f40d47b3af0098ee2.jpg

36aa0564dd78cb71e3c36ee4a8f36557.jpg

Spring Comparison Shots:

Old:

c4cd88a0d6cd4b7c6f20bb73a4b0868a.jpg

New:

9ec94833ba5eaea47697abfe221fc965.jpg

Old:

a855d395d6a01e2db4eb5229f0d776a3.jpg

New:

b67f9f4459aa169b8ebf610582d81495.jpg

Old:

fb854788b09115ef08b224322f2b7e21.jpg

New:

3ab07343bcfedee5f898476b63f7d0bd.jpg

Spring Non-Comparison Shots:

fc17fa2cfb8fe508375bfc2b0db96a22.jpg

5529ba23d9f802143d9dad08e616fd7b.jpg

4634b6f5dc934136fb874d8d67f369e3.jpg

Spring is looking really astonishing now; Fall seems to be improved for me at the first impression - but at current state of development too much brown and too less yellow/green tone in leafs - this is not Indian Summer like ;D ....I'm really keen on this new product and its release date.

Alex from Germany

Oh Wow! :o You've really brought these Temperate seasons to life now Scott...both seasons looking fabulous now. Absolutely love the foliage in the depths of mid-Autumn foliage (esp. that first comparison shot) and the blissful flowers in all those Spring shots. Are those Cherry blossoms I see in some of those Spring shots?? Love it! Very well done indeed man! :D (You getting tempted to throw some flowers into Summer too now ;)  :lol: ? Thank you! This is just great work and looking forward to seeing the Temperate zones in their 'new colours'!

Well, it was already a must-have before but now, looking at those colours and spring trees, it is even more a definitely-must-have. Thanks for those shots, they look amazing!

This red colors in fall and the bright spring colors are exactly what I was missing in the old textures! Beautiful!

A small comment: In some older screenshots there was a slightly uniform look in the textures. Now I don't see it any more and I hope this has been corrected.

Cheers, Fritz

Amazing improvement over something that was pretty darned good in the first place.

The shot with the golf course looked fantastic .

Brad

Agree with you Brad, better than any shot that I ever made on a golf course :lol:  :lol:

These look really great! Nice work Scott. I have to admit though, I'm with those that suggest the autumn colouring is a bit too brown and lacking in yellows. Yellow is the predominant colour in western North America and still very common along with bright reds in the eastern half of the continent. I don't know about Europe, but I suspect it's similar. These feel a bit like leaves that have past their peak and have turned brown just before falling. Again, I mean no offense and am super impressed with what you have done. I'm just thinking (if it's still possible) that if you could make the leaves more red than brown, and multi-colour them with yellow included, it would be more in keeping with the peak season I believe.

Thanks!

Glenn

It looks AWESOME to me Scott. Ive always felt there was too much green in the Fall trees before. The so called yellow was actually greenish as in your first two 'Old' shots. You've got that hard to describe orange with yellow highlights and I see some nice reds in there. Spring has some nice pop as well.

I really think you're done for now. people need to get it in there sim and see for themselves.

It looks AWESOME to me Scott. Ive always felt there was too much green in the Fall trees before. The so called yellow was actually greenish as in your first two 'Old' shots. You've got that hard to describe orange with yellow highlights and I see some nice reds in there. Spring has some nice pop as well.I really think you're done for now. people need to get it in there sim and see for themselves.

Have to agree with you Dave...I too find its amazing to see the deep Autumn in stark contrast with the summer and winter seasons, leaves not far from 'fall' ing ;) There's certainly no doubting the season in those shots. The multi-colours are more in early Autumn. I suppose one or two of those types wouldn't hurt but personally I really wouldn't want to lose this effect of Autumn that Scott's created. I think they're fabulous and that he's done with these Temperate zone Autumn/Spring textures too for now...can't wait to see how great and effective they'll actually look in-sim :)

Don't get me wrong, Sid. I like multicolor trees. I don't think Fall textures should be either 'early' where the leaves still have green in them and I don't think the textures should be 'late' where all you see is uniform orange-brown and red-brown.

The people here that want more yellow aren't wrong IMO but I think that these new pics have a nice bright amber and there are reds that are not so brown anymore.

I think opinions will change once people see these in their own sim.

and me personally, Im just tired of waiting ;)

Yep, that's what I understood you to mean Dave and was also trying to get at the mid-Autumn thing as we can only have one Autumn and not three. I like multicolour trees too and have no objection to the occasional yellow thrown in either as long as it's a mid-Autumn spectrum.

Yes, the effect of that Amber and how it mixes with the deep reds in those first two scenes above delightfully caught my eye immediately and transported me straight into a pleasing sense of Autumn. As you say, I'm sure they'll look even better and more effective when people see them in sim. Totally get your hunger for them, I feel the same overwhelming desire to have them installed straight into my sims right now but it shouldn't be long now as Scott has started to wrap his last few textures up so I can Fight the hunger more easily now.Lol :))

Based on your feedback, I've changed the hue of some of the trees (cottonwoods, in particular) to give them a bit more yellow.  I think you will find that they really look fantastic in the sim!

Oh, and be sure to keep a close watch on the "Release Announcements" forum starting on Friday :)

-Scott

2015-04-08_11-19-30-AM558.jpg

2015-04-08_11-17-30-AM813.jpg

2015-04-08_11-44-24-AM576.jpg

Spring looks real good and I like the blooming fruit trees ! Not yet entirely convinced by the Fall textures though. Fall colors are duller, as I see them, in Europe, not that bright. It looks better than before (the FS world in the Fall is like a rerun of the Trouble with Harry >:D everywhere you fly) but in real life the European vegetation colors are not what they are in the Northern US (or the glossy pictures of your favorite magazine in the dentist waiting room).

Spring looks real good and I like the blooming fruit trees ! Not yet entirely convinced by the Fall textures though. Fall colors are duller, as I see them, in Europe, not that bright. It looks better than before (the FS world in the Fall is like a rerun of the Trouble with Harry >:D everywhere you fly) but in real life the European vegetation colors are not what they are in the Northern US (or the glossy pictures of your favorite magazine in the dentist waiting room).

Quite right, these look good for a north American 'fall', they do, but the original shots with darker amber, deep red and brown hues seemed so nicely representative of a European Autumn and immediately transported my senses straight to the Autumn here in Wales anyway..was an amazing feeling and dramatic impact. I can't really imagine myself to be flying in a European autumn if I see such a high ratio of these bright yellows. I seem to remember seeing Scott or someone put up some shots around the Cardiff area, among others, at an earlier stage too and I felt as if I was looking at the very thing! Wow!

Scott, was just wondering, as ultimately this kind of project can only ever be possible with some level of compromise, is there any way the Europe hues could be left as you had them in the first shots here (or with a higher proportion of those ambers, browns and reds), whilst going with these yellower shots (or this higher proportion of them) for NA? Maybe its not even possible because of how this is implemented, I have no idea, but if it is in any way, it really would be so perfect. Either way, you've done an absolutely stunning job and one thing's absolutely clear, we all love the cherry blossoms (can't wait to see that Japanese spring...must look so zen :)...) and I'm going to be watching the forums very very closely on Friday so that I can pounce on this absolute must-have simulator upgrade add-on asap! :)

Thank you for such hard work and perseverance in your efforts to getting this so right!!!

These trees are looking mighty fine!

I do hope Mr VAS will be pleased too. ;)

You're right to be conscious of Mr. VAS these days but the great news is he will be pleased Dave...Have a look at the other post/thread about performance and you'll see what I mean :)

Fantastic work Scott! Can't wait...

Quick question regarding the install in P3D - were any of the shaders updated (I.e. do you recommend deleting the shaders directory after installing)?

Quite right, these look good for a north American 'fall', they do, but the original shots with darker amber, deep red and brown hues seemed so nicely representative of a European Autumn and immediately transported my senses straight to the Autumn here in Wales anyway..was an amazing feeling and dramatic impact. I can't really imagine myself to be flying in a European autumn if I see such a high ratio of these bright yellows. I seem to remember seeing Scott or someone put up some shots around the Cardiff area, among others, at an earlier stage too and I felt as if I was looking at the very thing! Wow!

Scott, was just wondering, as ultimately this kind of project can only ever be possible with some level of compromise, is there any way the Europe hues could be left as you had them in the first shots here (or with a higher proportion of those ambers, browns and reds), whilst going with these yellower shots (or this higher proportion of them) for NA? Maybe its not even possible because of how this is implemented, I have no idea, but if it is in any way, it really would be so perfect. Either way, you've done an absolutely stunning job and one thing's absolutely clear, we all love the cherry blossoms (can't wait to see that Japanese spring...must look so zen :)...) and I'm going to be watching the forums very very closely on Friday so that I can pounce on this absolute must-have simulator upgrade add-on asap! :)

Thank you for such hard work and perseverance in your efforts to getting this so right!!!

Thanks for the good vibes, Sid!  The shots shown above are indeed just for our North American regions, i.e. PNW, SAK, NRM, etc, and reflect the more 'golden' autumns in these regions.  I've made the Global set a bit on the redder side, which I believe will represent most areas very well (and will certainly appease those who are interested in a nice red "New England" fall!).  The Global set, by nature, had to be a bit of a compromise, but I think most people should be very happy.  The EU textures, for our England, Wales, Ireland, etc regions, will indeed be a little bit on the browner side, although I added a bit more variation since the first pics that I posted a couple of weeks ago.  One thing is certain: all of the new textures, autumn and otherwise, look much, much better than the old ones :D

These trees are looking mighty fine!

I do hope Mr VAS will be pleased too.  ;)

Oh, he will be :)  See the post HERE if you haven't already!

Fantastic work Scott! Can't wait...

Quick question regarding the install in P3D - were any of the shaders updated (I.e. do you recommend deleting the shaders directory after installing)?

No, there are no shader updates so nothing to worry about there :)

Cheers,

Scott

Thanks for the good vibes, Sid! The shots shown above are indeed just for our North American regions, i.e. PNW, SAK, NRM, etc, and reflect the more 'golden' autumns in these regions. I've made the Global set a bit on the redder side, which I believe will represent most areas very well (and will certainly appease those who are interested in a nice red "New England" fall!). The Global set, by nature, had to be a bit of a compromise, but I think most people should be very happy. The EU textures, for our England, Wales, Ireland, etc regions, will indeed be a little bit on the browner side, although I added a bit more variation since the first pics that I posted a couple of weeks ago. One thing is certain: all of the new textures, autumn and otherwise, look much, much better than the old ones :D

Perfect Scott! Just perfect! And thanks for coming back to us and showing us how well you've thought of everything. I couldn't have dreamt for such fantastic decision-making and skill and every word of your description is just what I'd hoped for. Couldn't be happier...You're a bloody genius man! Thinking and rooting that this one'll sell big...it's so win-win in every way. Can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to this weekend and watching my sim transform with such impact :) Thanks so much mate! And stellar job again, really amazing work!! :) Only put it back in the wallet a couple of days ago after getting Jarrad's jaw-breaking Sedona but the credit card's happily back out and ready again to snap up this real bargain of an addon whenever you guys are ready this weekend

• 1 month later...

Based on your feedback, I've changed the hue of some of the trees (cottonwoods, in particular) to give them a bit more yellow.  I think you will find that they really look fantastic in the sim!

Oh, and be sure to keep a close watch on the "Release Announcements" forum starting on Friday :)

-Scott

2015-04-08_11-19-30-AM558.jpg

2015-04-08_11-17-30-AM813.jpg

2015-04-08_11-44-24-AM576.jpg

Scott

Excellent work. Enhances the overall flying experience.

Is it possible for you to put up a Cherry Blossom shot? ::)

Thanks

TTM

Archived