OpenLC EU - French Wine

Some shots from short trips to famous french wine regions.
(FSX DX10 + FTX Global + FTX Vector + FSG2010 FTX)

Côte de Nuits, north of Beaune, famous for red Burgundy wines (Pinot noir)

DnRW.jpg

Alsace, Riquewihr, grand Riesling

TQ8eC.jpg

Champagne, Épernay, no surprise: Champagne

WCuPb.jpg

Loire Valley, Coteaux-du-Layon, sweet white wine (Chenin blanc)

8aXNw.jpg

Cognac in Cognac, famous for ... Cognac

jvuGt.jpg

Bordeaux (Graves), Castres-Gironde, several select Bordeaux wines

NFhC.jpg

Let's see, openLC Europe is supposed to be ready in April, but may "slip" into May.  So far, we've been shown screenshots from the following 6 countries: Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, France(north and central only), and Belgium.

According to the openLC coverage map, the following countries, excluding those listed above, are supposed to be included: Great Britain, Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Italy, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, the ex-Yugoslavian countries, Albania, Greece, Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria,  Western Turkey, and Western Russia.

Today is April 20th.

Can we be a little more realistic about the estimated release date, please?

Realistic timeframe is it will slip into May.

The team is working very hard behind the scenes but we're getting an increasingly impatient tone in release timeframe posts on the forums.

Our policy has always been to never give release dates, only estimates, and then those estimates are just for courtesy to you as customers, not a line in the sand you use to insist on release times.

Great Britain, Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Italy, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, the ex-Yugoslavian countries, Albania, Greece, Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria,  Western Turkey, and Western Russia.

Wow that's pretty ambitious. I'm surprised (but glad) they chose such a large area, that's truly Europe in full  :)  Alot of those countries have not had any serious coverage when it comes to accurate quality scenery (that I've known of) before. Can't wait now to explore all those eastern parts of Europe and I always wanted a quality scenery for Russia. 

Let's see, openLC Europe is supposed to be ready in April, but may "slip" into May.  So far, we've been shown screenshots from the following 6 countries: Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, France(north and central only), and Belgium.

According to the openLC coverage map, the following countries, excluding those listed above, are supposed to be included: Great Britain, Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Italy, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, the ex-Yugoslavian countries, Albania, Greece, Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria,  Western Turkey, and Western Russia.

And don't forget, we already have Iceland and some of the Baltic States too Dave ;)

I don't care about timeframe either.

One just needs to take a look at the previews of those gorgeous vineyards in France (with the almost 3D volumetric appearance/?illusion of some of those realistic new textures) to know the team is obviously doing some very solid and worthy work indeed....More of which I am personally always prepared to wait for. Waiting got us a first rendition of rice paddy textures in southern and eastern Asia through feedback and patience of the development timeframes when FTX Global was under development. And that same patience has now shown us these amazing vineyards. Who knows, waiting patiently might next allow us to see Olive groves in Greece, Italy and other parts of southern Europe...or who knows, what else.

With each addition to the FTX Global series of products, including Vector (which I'm loving), it is a pleasure to say that patience has always paid off and reaped some pretty impressive visual and performance rewards. Giving the team a little more room to breathe and maneouvre can only be a good thing and, with Orbx's track history when given that time they need to develop as envisaged, will ONLY lead to real rewards and a better, solid, well-performing, minimal-error, more realistic and more visually stunning Europe which we can all then enjoy flying over day in day out, something we will need to get comfortable doing for a very long time until v.2 Open LC and POIs make an entrance much further down the line. So its really worth waiting for the team to do their work in peace, in my opinion.

Plus, it means we may even get to see a few more occasional teasers of the Alpine and Southern European regions, whilst they continue with finishing the job and building up to the release of a very big and yes, game-changing, product. The end product is what always counts and that takes as long as it takes...There's plenty else in the Orbx world to enjoy for a month or two (and that's not long in the scheme of things) whilst the team test, amend and optimise Open LC EU. Besides, the fact it needs a little more time, only personally gives me even more confidence that I will really enjoy flying the skies of Europe pretty soon. Good luck to the team...catch your breaths and take the time you need fellas. Pressure helps no-one.

I mean, who can realistically take a look at these shots and not crave a real trip for some serious French wine-tasting. Its an impressive feat, and a bit uncomfortably surprising,  for these shots to actually stimulate physical salivation in anticipation of some fine wine. Move over Pavlov! :lol: That's conditioning!

Cheers,

SId :D

The team is working very hard behind the scenes but we're getting an increasingly impatient tone in release timeframe posts on the forums.

Our policy has always been to never give release dates, only estimates, and then those estimates are just for courtesy to you as customers, not a line in the sand you use to insist on release times.

1st target the Quality, 2nd target the issue date. I agree with ORBX

ahhh my country, burgundy, nice pictures dude!! I live in Dijon near Beaune and Nuit Saint Georges and it seems well represented, thanks ;))

My wife and I visited Dijon, where we rented an apartment two years ago. It was a lovely town with lots of history. We rented a car, and drove South to Beaune. On the way we stopped for lunch in Nuits St. George, where I enjoyed boeuf _bourguignon and a glass or two of  Nuits St. George. vive La France. 

Sherm

Take your time. The world will not end if we don't even get it in May. This is a huge area. I would much rather have the quality that is displayed in these shots.

+1

Although I would still like to see more of these progress teaser shots as you make your way across the continent during testing.

Are we pretending that we don't check this page several times every day because we're not impatient to get our grubby hands on the product?  Yes, asking when it will be ready doesn't help, yes we all want it to be done to the best level of quality, and yes we won't die (probably) if it isn't released this month.  :)  I would be far more worried if you were developing a product, and nobody asked when it would be ready...  

to a further point,  estimates given here are always way too ambitious.  I've been here a while, so I don't take them for any sort of gospel, and you usually don't see any "is it done yet?"  posts from me for that reason.  I would humbly suggest that rather than giving real dates when doing roadmap's etc... just seperating into categories like:  "sometime"  "sometime in the not too distant future"  "soonish"  "soon" "about ready"  "Iain" and "released".  that way it will keep the date lawyers from getting their panties in a bunch when an "estimate" slips.  fwiw.

Rest of Europe will enter testing this coming week, many shots to follow ....

Yes. Looking forward to release when it's ready. Also wanted to say I appreciate the estimated release times Orbx gives out. Not many developers publish a road map; it's good to know where things are headed, even if not everything hits an estimated release time frame.

Europe is surely a big one, maybe just cut it in two pieces and take all the time you need to finish the second part... :smile:  :smile:

::)

Wise suggestion, Avirex. I completely agree; if I only think at the variousness of Italy landscape and related architecture...

Archived