-= November 2013 Product Roadmap (Updated) =-

John Venema

Hello everyone.

There's been a few calls for an updated roadmap since my last one in July. What I can share is most of what is in production or planned, but please as always - these are indicative timeframes only. Please do not post on the forums quoting this roadmap asking for release updates.

By now most of you will be familiar with Orbx's method of announcing releases:

1. Rarely, myself or one of the team will do "sneak preview" shots, often when products are still in alpha
2. Once a project is in beta, we then begin to show preview screenshots
3. Once Iain Emms gets hold of the late beta, he will give clues as to how close it is
4. When Emmsie posts "my last shots" you know we're a few days from release

So use those cues above to get an idea of when something is imminent, not this roadmap. That being said, let's share what we have happening:

** Minor changes to scheduled releases @ 26th November ***

December

FTX GLOBAL VECTOR - Orbx & PILOT'S
EGTF Fairoaks - Heiko/Andreas
IRE Republic Of Ireland - Sim720
05S Vernonia - Misha Cajic
CYSE Squamish (for PNW) - Gordon Madison

PAEN Kenai Alaska - Russ White
VANS RV4 Aircraft - Jared Charalambous

January 2014

NCA NORTHERN CALIFORNIA - Orbx Team

KHAF Half Moon Bay (for NCA) - Scott Armstrong

ENNK Narvik for FTXG - Tore Stranden

FTX GLOBAL openLC EU - Orbx Team
PAYA Yakutat Alaska - Alex Goff
EGKL Deanland Lewes - Ken Hall
EGPB Sumburgh - 29Palms

February - April 2014

FTX Global OpenLC North America
CYBW Springbank General Airport - Vlad Maly

NOR FTX EU Norway - Orbx Team

KSQL San Carlos - Ed Correia
EGSC Manchester Cambridge - 29Palms
EGPD Aberdeen - 29Palms
NZAA Auckland - Orbx Team
LFMA Aix les Milles for FTXG - Cedric Bogros
openLC Asia
openLC Africa & Middle East
openLC South America
FTX Global V1.x updates
FTX Global Vector continual updates
One payware airport release per month for both regions and FTXG (average)

openLC Asia Major incuding Russia
openLC Oceania
FTX Global V1.x updates
FTX Global Vector continual updates

Next FTX Alaska Region from Holger and team
Next FTX EU Region(s) from Orbx team
One payware airport release per month for both regions and FTXG (average)

.. and many more projects not yet ready to announce, including much more freeware releases too.

So it looks like another monster December (again, we don't plan to have so many projects fall into that month, it's just how the planets have aligned with so many projects which take 9-15 months etc).

So as per usual, I have stolen some alpha screenshots from our development forums unbeknownst to the developers, but I am sure they will forgive me :) These are pre-alpha or alpha screenshots:

Gordon Madison's CYSE Squamish BC for PNW:

i7hmT.jpg

e9xO.jpg

Tore Stranden's ENNK Narvik for FTX Global (note curved/sloped runway):

qMYT7.jpg

GcDMR.jpg

n5Yzb.jpg

Scott Armstrong's KHAF Half Moon Bay for NCA:

uG3Ik.jpg

AdB1G.jpg

Misha Cajic's 05S Vernonia for PNW:

Mm3Vk.jpg

I hope this presents some idea of our plans for the next few months.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John

Thanks for taking the time to write all this for us hardcore ORBX junkies.  I promise not to dredge up the roadmap thread in the future (sorry, mea culpa).

Nice to see Gordon doing his first payware release after Tipella.  In fact I see a couple of new names on the slate -- great to see!

Also, a small thing here.... 05S is Vernonia (missed a letter) -- I grew up just a short drive from there.

Thanks for the roadmap.  Don't really care if we ever get there, but so far, it sure has been a great ride.

Mark

This is where most all my sim bucks are headed right here!

December's gonna be sweet!

FTX GLOBAL VECTOR - Orbx & PILOT'S

FTX GLOBAL openLC EU - Orbx Team

NCA NORTHERN CALIFORNIA - Orbx Team

CYSE Squamish - Gordon Madison

whoa are those P3D V2 Water Effects in Half Moon Bay pics....if it is...holy crap.

Either way thanks for sharing.

Just static photoreal textures I think.

I can't wait for NorCal and KHAF. I hope Orbx does lots of airports for the Bay Area, it's a great place to do VFR.

Thanks for the update!

However, I am missing the most anticipated region (well, MY most anticipated region ;) ) which is FTX Norway South! There is only one Sim720 region mentioned: Republic of Ireland and there is no mention of any other Sim720 region: Norway was supposed to be their last region for Orbx. Other than that you only mention 'Next FTX EU Region(s) from Orbx team'... Did you simply forget to mention Norway (which is understandable with so many products LOL) or has there been a change of plan...? Will the Orbx team be working on Norway South or has it been cancelled completely?

Just (very) curious!

After Tipella I was eagerly awaiting Gordon's first payware project - and man, those two pics really are mouth-watering!

There are two big gaps along the BC coast and maybe Russ or Gordon might fill them.

And this will be my December.  FSStore I will have my age concession request in by then.

FTX GLOBAL VECTOR - Orbx & PILOT'S

FTX GLOBAL openLC EU - Orbx Team

NCA NORTHERN CALIFORNIA - Orbx Team

IRE Republic Of Ireland - Sim720

05S Vernonia - Misha Cajic

ENNK Narvik for FTXG - Tore Stranden

KHAF Half Moon Bay (for NCA) - Scott Armstrong

???VANS RV4 Aircraft - Jared Charalambous

Christmas always was expensive.

Thanks for the update!

However, I am missing the most anticipated region (well, MY most anticipated region ;) ) which is FTX Norway South! There is only one Sim720 region mentioned: Republic of Ireland and there is no mention of any other Sim720 region: Norway was supposed to be their last region for Orbx. Other than that you only mention 'Next FTX EU Region(s) from Orbx team'... Did you simply forget to mention Norway (which is understandable with so many products LOL) or has there been a change of plan...? Will the Orbx team be working on Norway South or has it been cancelled completely?

Just (very) curious!

+1

Thanks for the update!

Just (very) curious!

+2

Always good to get a the road-map update, thanks JV. Nice to know where we stand as the holiday gift giving season approaches. ::)

Without much doubt though, you will get your first forum request for an update quoting this road-map by the end of the year! Human nature is what it is. :blink:

What a December this is going to be.

I've just heard Noddy Holder in the back of my mind shouting:

"It's Christmaaaaaaaaaas"

Wasn't shouting all that Noddy Holder ever did anyway ? Even when he was singing, he was shouting. ;)

Looking through this new roadmap, there's lots to go on my shopping list. At the very least, all the UK airfields, the new Alaska region, Northern California, and of course all the vector and landclass gubbins for FTXG. 

Thanks for the update JV.  I'm only glad I decided to upgrade the old video card this month, that way I'll be able to get at least some of the December goodies for Christmas (the update makes a good Christmas list by the way).  Extraordinary stuff, looking forward to NCA and Half Moon Bay in particular.

One point, your EGSC Manchester Cambridge - is that just Cambridge?

Regards,

Chris

whoa are those P3D V2 Water Effects in Half Moon Bay pics....if it is...holy crap.

Either way thanks for sharing.

Are you sure tht's P3D V2 water effects? Me thinks that's a custom water tetxure bitmap.

Whatsoever, it's looking freaking good!

Cheers, Wolfgang

Meant to ask, will Vernonia sit comfortably on FTX Global.   I am finding it just as visually effective to use Pilots-Global-UTX rather than the older PNW region (the others are installed).

I am also considering doing the same for Aus but leaving the two NZs in place.  But I fear that I would lose special scenery like the Gold Coast.

Roll on the world of FTX LC and Vector.

Suggestion, bring PNW and Aus up to the same standard as your latest regions.

How to Win Friends and Influence People, by Ian McPhail.  On sale now.  ^-^

Ian, just poking some fun at you.  IIRC John V did mention that sometime in the future, no timeline mind you, that they might get around to infusing the older regions with the same nifty technique that was used for NZ and Scotland to give us these nice frame rates.  I think they already did this with England, again, if I am not mistaken (I very well may be).

Ripcord:   mine was a fair comment, not intended in anyway to be hostile at all.

For me, when LC America (and Vector) are available then I will uninstall UTX.

Scenery making is dynamic, constantly improving as Orbx has well and truly demonstrated.

So it is not unexpected for the older regions to start and show their age.

Also Mesh+LC+Global+Vector will make a whole world of new base scenery.  Customers can have a choice whether to add full-fat regions on top or to still have a pretty darn good landscape beneath or in front of them.

And as for influencing people, JV and his team are almost friends through this forum, but in the end it is our money that does the talking!!!

Ripcord:   mine was a fair comment, not intended in anyway to be hostile at all.

For me, when LC America (and Vector) are available then I will uninstall UTX.

I agree with you, Ian, but I saw your post and I had to poke you.  I can see that you paid a bit of a sideways compliment to the team (it is not that PNW and AU are inferior but newer regions do seem to perform better and 'lighter').

Pretty sure I am with you, by the way, with ditching UTX and going with FTX Vector.  I am pretty enthralled with the harbor vectors I have seen so far.  Right now doing some simple tests to see if unloading UTX pays any dividends in terms of VAS and helping with OOM errors.  So far it seems minimal, but there might be some. 

Meant to ask, will Vernonia sit comfortably on FTX Global.   I am finding it just as visually effective to use Pilots-Global-UTX rather than the older PNW region (the others are installed).

I am also considering doing the same for Aus but leaving the two NZs in place.  But I fear that I would lose special scenery like the Gold Coast.

Roll on the world of FTX LC and Vector.

PNW will still provide a better visual experience than Vector will. The hand crafted landclass, vector elements, and improved areas can't really be beat by an automated process!

Meanwhile I'm aware of the differences between a region and the combination of the upcoming global products, as impressively shown with the Iceland scenery. But if I look to the roadmap, I just wondered if ORBX is slowly moving away from making any new regions (exept those that are planned and begun with so far) as their global products keep getting better?? Anything true about that?

Other than the EU regions, they have all been profitable so we'll continue.

I thought at least FTX England was a huge success…? Anyway, now it is clear the Sim720 regions weren't a bit hit AND since it is missing from the roadmap: what about Norway? Are you still planning on releasing it through Orbx? 

Archived