-= November 2013 Product Roadmap (Updated) =-

John Venema

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone.

There's been a few calls for an updated roadmap since my last one in July. What I can share is most of what is in production or planned, but please as always - these are indicative timeframes only.

Hi John,

Thanks for the update.

The only thing I am missing in your roapmap is the 'FS Global 2010 mesh FTX edition'.

I understand that this is a Pilot's product, but will it be released through Orbx/Flightsimstore, and what is the planned date?

Hi John,

Thanks for the update.

The only thing I am missing in your roapmap is the 'FS Global 2010 mesh FTX edition'.

I understand that this is a Pilot's product, but will it be released through Orbx/Flightsimstore, and what is the planned date?

It's not an Orbx product; PILOT'S are working with Adrian at FSS to release it through them. Nothing to do with us except we're endorsing it with an "FTX Edition" tagline. I have no timeframe on when this downloadable edition is due for release, but the Orbx team have been given copies of it so it can't be that far away. 

Hi,

just coming back from a 10 day trip to california with over 7 hours of real life GA flying in San Carlos, Half Moon bay and some more i'm incredibly excited now about the upcoming NCA and Half Moon bay released.

Just out of curiosity, is San Carlos still on the list to be done at some point in the future (i really hope so)?

And if i might add a wish: Palo Alto would be very nice too ;-)

kind regards

janosch

John

I realize this is not on the roadmap, but just generally speaking, what ideas have you had regarding Northern Norway?  Is that potentially (no promises) out there for some time in the reasonably foreseeable future (even if more than a year off)?  Or is that going to be something more like an Iceland-style approach, where we just enjoy having good vectors, good LC, good texture and good lighting and just a lot of goodness that comes from VECTOR and GLOBAL living and breathing together? Of course I realize that Tore is working on Narvik as a FTX Global airport, the first payware airport (is this accurate?) not located inside one of the FTX full-fat regions.... and I guess this is part of the reason why I pose the question -- maybe there is not plan as yet for Northern Norway?  Or maybe that is a wait and see decision based on how NOS goes?

Pardon me if I am overstepping my bounds here with an off-limits question.  Just curious and trying to connect the dots.

Mark

EDIT:  John I just reread your announcement regarding 720 and perhaps this is relevant.

Sim720 still has IRL Ireland and NOS Norway South to deliver to Orbx to finalise their contract and Ireland is not far from entering beta testing. At this time we have not yet decided to award further region contracts to Sim720 after NOS is released. Also, following a review of the sales performance of the UK airports a few months ago Orbx decided to no longer publish Sim720 airports under our brand, and encouraged them to branch out on their own.

Maybe it is fair to say that we are in 'wait and see' mode, to see how NOS sells?

Fantastic roadmap John...very interesting indeed. :D

Great to see there hasn't been much dilution in the great vision :smile: .

Thank you, by the way, for the great demo which I've thus far only had about 10 mins to try as I've only just got back from a visit to Greece a few days ago...Looking forward to exploring it further. Just wanted to say, it would be really great and, I think desirable for many, for the original plans for POIs (perhaps a mix of freeware and payware, or even all payware) that could gradually be added/updated from those already in default fsx, through the life of ongoing FTX Global to still happen. They really would make a huge difference in adding the 'local' factor to different places. Perhaps, they could even slowly be done on a country or region basis so that people can pick and choose and customise the areas they like to fly?!

An example...as has been rightly pointed out, the Global layers in the demo don't include all POIs as part of their intention or remit but such important landmarks such as the iconic National Lutheran Church, Hallgrimskirkja, mentioned by Bushmonkey and others here, and which really is a very famous and iconic building many people think of when they think of Iceland, could be part of an optional POI/landmarks Pack for Iceland or for Scandanavia or for OpenLC Eu, for instance, that we could buy for added realism in areas each prefers for a fee. I think this is an example some have cited because they are probably used to seeing it (and shipping ai has also been mentioned) in the Iceland X scenery or perhaps UTX Europe (neither of which I fully appreciate this is not) that many previously had and so wish it could still be added in someday for Reykjavik to really look recognisable in an instant. 

Just an example though...the general principle would be great if at some later date down the line, such localised POI purchasable packs could come to fruition, as I believe you guys originally envisaged, if I am not mistaken. I think many would buy in to have the feeling of locality, the sense of immersion and distinction between places in the FTX Global world one day. That really would be magical and the icing on this fantastic cake one day. But please don't misunderstand me as being demanding...That is sincerely not my intention ever...it is only ever to offer further constructive feedback and support in 'The Project' and its optimum potential as always...I just think it (the POI/landmark pack addons) was, perhaps still is (just didn't see them specifically mentioned so was uncertain), a really great and useful idea of yours and would personally love to see it and buy in completely, if the time and resources for doing such packs become available at some point along the FTX Global journey...no pressure, really. I do think they could prove popular though. Could you possibly give us a hint if they (POI packs) might still happen, just to clarify?

Even if not, it doesn't change anything at all for me...I'm still in...I have a lot of faith, evidenced by the outstanding commitment, research, scope and quality of the work put into this long-term FTX Global wider project so far...many have...and I'm in for the whole ride either way. As for that journey, thank you so much for the demo showcasing the base level of detail of the whole world we can hope to fly in and discover over the next couple of exciting years. It feels like we can have a taste of the journey ahead and it'll only get better when the whole world has been realised in this way...an entirely new sim effectively. Those three Global layers really seem impressively powerful. I'm really looking forward to more time in the demo, for the continual improvements to Global over time and for the day VECTOR and the first OpenLC (Europe) is released. I also really can't wait to see what areas that have never been covered by UTX (particularly, Asia, Africa, South America) will look like once they've been given this treatment. They'll be such amazing virgin territory to explore what's really there like has never ever been possible to date. :smile:

Sorry for the lengthy comment but thank you for this awesome news on the current roadmap, thank you for the great and appreciated demo for us all to enjoy and investigate, thank you for maintaining Orbx's principles in how it does things and improves things constantly and for being Orbx with its ever-expanding vision and reliability that its increasingly becoming renowned for, thanks for the opportunity to provide feedback too! There's a hell of lot of varying types of projects all over that roadmap to keep me and my credit card busy and in the air for quite some time :smile:  :smile:  :smile: and I look forward to enjoying and discovering it, including many of those full fat regions and airports. There's a whole lot of "I'll have some of that" to add to the shopping list and that's great news. :D

Great work and thanks again for all the info...the communication from Orbx is always so exemplary! :smile:

Cheers again,

Sid

John

I realize this is not on the roadmap, but just generally speaking, what ideas have you had regarding Northern Norway?  Is that potentially (no promises) out there for some time in the reasonably foreseeable future (even if more than a year off)?  Or is that going to be something more like an Iceland-style approach, where we just enjoy having good vectors, good LC, good texture and good lighting and just a lot of goodness that comes from VECTOR and GLOBAL living and breathing together? Of course I realize that Tore is working on Narvik as a FTX Global airport, the first payware airport (is this accurate?) not located inside one of the FTX full-fat regions.... and I guess this is part of the reason why I pose the question -- maybe there is not plan as yet for Northern Norway?  Or maybe that is a wait and see decision based on how NOS goes?

Pardon me if I am overstepping my bounds here with an off-limits question.  Just curious and trying to connect the dots.

Mark

EDIT:  John I just reread your announcement regarding 720 and perhaps this is relevant.

Maybe it is fair to say that we are in 'wait and see' mode, to see how NOS sells?

+1. Good point Rip...also looking forward to what JV currently thinks about this too mate. I can't help but have a feeling that Norway is going to do very well...much better than the UK for that matter I believe, and for several reasons, but only time will tell I guess...I really can't wait for NOS and FTXG Narvik personally. But I'd also be interested to hear John's thoughts on this and am curious about connecting the dots :smile: , wherever the current thinking is on Norway North (NON) at this early stage. Would be great if he could come back to us with a word or two when he has a minute, as you say, provided we're not overstepping any mark, even if the answer is that we're indeed in a 'wait and see' mode.

All the best mate! Hope all's well with you! :smile:

Sid

We want to do ALL of Norway, not just the south. Regardless of the contract we have for NOS I cannot see us only doing half a country, so rest assured we will deliver the best solution for our customers.

Thanks JV :smile: ! You always do deliver great solutions. That's great news to hear back from you about the desired intention with Norway :) I'm sure Ripcord will be ecstatic when he reads this too. Don't worry, we understand things can be dynamic and that that's the intention envisaged as it stands and that you always do your best at the end of the day! Its just always great to hear your personal thoughts on any plans though. You can count me in for ALL of Norway (all of Scandinavia even if you fancy it, for that matter...I wish ;) ) as soon as any part is released...I'm sure Rip feels the same from his comments and queries. This is going to be like the PFJ/Alaska etc of Europe and I'm sure it'll be just stunning scenery too! :D Can't wait but there's plenty to keep going until then with that roadmap  :lol:  .

Thank you for the valued and much-appreciated information on this!

Kind regards,

Sid

I want to be clear that we requested all of Norway as Sim720's final region for us but they refused to do the whole country, citing too much work and complexity, so the decision to do only half a country was theirs, not Orbx's.

This may give you some insight into why we're parting company with them.

I want to be clear that we requested all of Norway as Sim720's final region for us but they refused to do the whole country, citing too much work and complexity, so the decision to do only half a country was theirs, not Orbx's.

JV,

Thanks. Always good to see a more complete picture as it aids in understanding situations better. Being left with questions about the rationale of decisions on regions etc can be unsettling  to a degree at times.

JV,

Thanks. Always good to see a more complete picture as it aids in understanding situations better. Being left with questions about the rationale of decisions on regions etc can be unsettling  to a degree at times.

Yes indeed! Thank you for this valuable insight JV! This interesting information certainly brings much light to a situation, as Paddler says...Its always helpful to have better and fuller understanding on any issue. As Bruce rightly suggests, its great to know Orbx quality will come to the North of Norway but blending with the South does sound a little tricky...yet somehow I just know Orbx has the skills to do a decent job of it and find myself simply looking forward to the whole resulting shebang with great anticipation. In your own time...Bring it on! :smile:  :smile:  :smile:  

FTX GLOBAL VECTOR - Orbx & PILOT'S

CYSE Squamish (for PNW) - Gordon Madison

05S Vernonia - Misha Cajic

FTX Global OpenLC North America
CYBW Springbank General Airport - Vlad Maly

Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas AND New Year!!!................. ::)

When is ORBX going to finish off Tasmania, YDPO & YWYY, I live in Tasmania, and love flying around Tasmania and also the main routes YDPO - YMML,  YWYY - YMML, YMLT-YMML, - and really YMHB isnt up to what it really is also, will there be an improvement or not?

The Ydpo And The YWYY  have no buildings or anything really

Can't say I'm surprised at your decision to part company with Sim730 be honest and it's really refreshing to know that ORBX is looking forward.  There are really appetizing releases upcomingand i'm really looking forward to some of the stuff on the roadmap Especially NCA NORTHERN CALIFORNIA as that will allow us to fly almost all the way up the west coast of USA.  

Keep up the good work guys :)

Archived