This Week's Meaningless Topic (#202)(July 17)

Hi all. I have a library stocked with excellent bush planes, excellent bush sceneries from Orbx and FlightSim, plus excellent Wikipedia lists of hundreds of bush airports worldwide. On Saturday, my TrackIR will arrive so I can freely look around at all this good stuff. It is such a pleasure to hop in a plane, go to an exotic remote location, and explore this wonderful world. I am am one happy backcountry guy. And that leads to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  What aspect of flying in flight simulation makes you feel happy?

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, gumbypickett said:

Just a perfect landing does it for me.

cheers

Gumby

I agree. But sometimes it doesn't have to be perfect for me to feel happy  Last weekend I flew the Fisk Arrival at Oshkosh three times.  There was great satisfaction on 1. Getting the plane actually on the runway, and 2.  Not having a broken airplane.  Always a very harrowing experience, even though I've done for five years now.  A perfect landing in this case is one I could walk away from.

Ken

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

For me it's always been the backwoods type of "airports".  Especially the little details some Orbx developers add like a deer or cow that may or may not be on the runway when  you come around to land.  The deer and other critters that are both static and move.  Campfires and people around them.....well, you get the idea.  I just want to go camping and get there is a bush plane!   LOL

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Rob Abernathy said:

For me it's always been the backwoods type of "airports".  Especially the little details some Orbx developers add like a deer or cow that may or may not be on the runway when  you come around to land.  The deer and other critters that are both static and move.  Campfires and people around them.....well, you get the idea.  I just want to go camping and get there is a bush plane!   LOL

Oh yes Rob, I remember the time when we explored every new scenery from Orbx for these details. For example the photos of Jarrad that he added on the info signs at the waterfront in Cairns, next to the helipads...

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

For me it can be a number of things...

Geographywise:

- Repeating a trip that I have done in reality

- Preparing a trip that I will or may do in reality

- Go sightseeing in an area that I will probably never visit in reality

Flightwise:

- Managing a high-level airplane until a "satisfying" landing

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Stillwater said:

For me it can be a number of things...

Geographywise:

- Repeating a trip that I have done in reality

- Preparing a trip that I will or may do in reality

- Go sightseeing in an area that I will probably never visit in reality

Flightwise:

- Managing a high-level airplane until a "satisfying" landing

exactly my drive via flightsims...

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

I remember fondly when I had P3D. Flying the default B737 with default ATC, looking up the ILS frequency online, dialling it in the active, watching the plane capture it and disabling the auto pilot on final to land ...... For me, it was very satisfying. Doesn't always happen now in MSFS :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Flying Alaska and learning: One beer OK:P, Two beers still OK:P three beers crash bang boom:o:unsure::angry:. Cheers k. Somebody asked me: "Have got a problem with drinking?":o I said: "No I figured it out" :P.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Flying Alaska and learning: One beer OK:P, Two beers still OK:P three beers crash bang boom:o:unsure::angry:. Cheers k. Somebody asked me: "Have got a problem with drinking?":o I said: "No I figured it out" :P.

reminds me of a t-shirt I saw once...

I don't have a drinking problem- I drink - I fall over---NO PROBLEM...

• Haha 5

I'm usually happy if I get a landing that goes particularly well, and the taxi to gate is important to me or else I don't feel I have completed the flight, mostly airline flying for me....

Yesterday I flew for the first time since the 3rd July, I chose P3DV5  and the Aerosoft A320, FSHUD for ATC, Volanta to track, Navigraph charts and Rex skyforce for the weather, everything went perfectly and I was really satisfied at the end, doesn't always happen,,,one thing I like about the Aerosoft bus is the built in co pilot for the checklists, great immersion even if the plane is not particularly nice externally(dated graphics).... 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Actually I am most happy with Flight Sims when I start them up and they work as advertised, no updates, no strange missing links and all the peripherals work as per the last time I logged in, and I don't have to worry about the next generation coming in a month or two and meaning all my invested $ is possibly down the drain not to mention the time spent re learning the idiosyncrasies of a new 'improved' system. 

Additionally, I'm even happier when there are no PC/ system updates and strange UI changes etc. to cope with. 

Then there's the internet and ISP, but I won't go there today.....

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, pilot100 said:

Actually I am most happy with Flight Sims when I start them up and they work as advertised, no updates, no strange missing links and all the peripherals work as per the last time I logged in, and I don't have to worry about the next generation coming in a month or two and meaning all my invested $ is possibly down the drain not to mention the time spent re learning the idiosyncrasies of a new 'improved' system. 

Additionally, I'm even happier when there are no PC/ system updates and strange UI changes etc. to cope with. 

Yes, Brian, and also when you finish a flight without the program freezing just as you are lined up to land or, like you say, the system interrupting itself to bring a word from the sponsor. Argh!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, pilot100 said:

yes I concur that's a great time for sure...I can't tell you the amount of times I have sat down with a bit of sim time  and the whole virtual world decides to update everything...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

Another aspect that makes me happy is when a family member who shows little interest in my hobby walks into my Sim room, watches me land on the monitor and actually comments positively on the nailed landing and scenery. It's rare but very satisfying when it happens. Love you wifey.

Cheers 

Graeme :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

On 7/20/2024 at 1:07 PM, boetie said:

Another aspect that makes me happy is when a family member who shows little interest in my hobby walks into my Sim room, watches me land on the monitor and actually comments positively on the nailed landing and scenery. It's rare but very satisfying when it happens. Love you wifey.

Cheers 

my son who's 36 always appreciates the sim though he doesn't use it, but he did spend most of yesterday up near Fairford watching the planes, so I guess he is biased...I have shown pictures to people I know and they swear they're real...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/19/2024 at 4:56 PM, wain71 said:

Yesterday I flew for the first time since the 3rd July, I chose P3DV5  and the Aerosoft A320, FSHUD for ATC, Volanta to track, Navigraph charts and Rex skyforce for the weather, everything went perfectly and I was really satisfied at the end, doesn't always happen

Fully agreed! There is lots to start and to work together...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 7/20/2024 at 2:07 PM, boetie said:

Cheers 

I have never experienced such a moment. At least my wife joined me when I visited a full-size 747 simulator - and we both survived all landings!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1