This Week's Meaningless Topic (#172)(Dec 22)

Hi all. "Joy to the world..." the Christmas hymn has it. For me as a religious person, Christmas joy is centered on the religious commemoration. For others, Christmas joy may center on friends, the community's holiday atmosphere, reunion with family, or other highlights. In any case, it's a great time of the year that offers a bit of a spark to us all. And that leads to tis week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  What brings the spark of joy to your Christmas celebration?

• Like 3

The family being together. It used be extended family with people who we hardly ever saw. It's nice to spend the day with just my wife and kids, a beer or two, a dip in the pool and a movie in the evening.

Cheers

Graeme :)

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, gumbypickett said:

Your time I'm not stupid. I'll start 

rowing Sunday morning and I'll be their

before 10pm ,don't wait up.🍺

cheers

Gumby

Which of the three ships that are headed for Bethlehem are you going to hijack?

No, I won't wait up!

Ken

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

21 minutes ago, Ken Q said:

Which of the three ships that are headed for Bethlehem are you going to hijack?

No, I won't wait up!

Ken

I hear the Titanic is a good airship that will

get me there the quickest. As I say I'm not stupid, 

I did 5yrs in grade 3 you know, now that's hard to beat.

cheers

Gumby

• Haha 9

3 hours ago, Ken Q said:

Gumby, here's what you need to get here in time for dinner-an Air-o-doodle:

Use the boat function to get from Tasmania to mainland Australia.

The car function to drive to the airport at Sydney.

Fly across the Pacific to Los Angeles (KLAX) in airplane mode.

Car function to drive down to the Southern Pacific Yard at Log Beach (pick up a hitch-hiker bound for New York on the way. Don' tell him the reason for your generosity-yet).

Get on the tracks at the SP yard. (now you can inform your "passenger" that he will be shoveling coal for the next 3000 miles).

With the steam locomotive proceed east and north via various Con-Rail railroads until reaching the Hudson River.  The best place to cross used to be via the high bridge to Poughkeepsie, New York, but that has been converted to a pedestrian bridge.  So swap your engineer's cap for the captain's cap and boat across the river. 

Join the old New York Central tracks southbound, the connect with the old New Haven tracks to Derby, Connecticut. Here you can drop your "passenger" of at the Metro North station so he can take the commuter train to New York City.

Finding water for the engine should not be too hard; you can probably find fire hydrants along the way.  But I don't know where you'll find coal.  The coaling towers, with very few exceptions, were torn down decades ago.

Now leave the tracks and launch into New Haven harbor and steam across Long Island Sound to Port Jefferson, New York.  

In car mode drive south on Route 112 (be careful not to snag any utility wires on the way).  Proceed west on the Long Island Distressway to Route 110.  Do NOT try to go on the Northern State Parkway.  The Air-o-doodle will never fit under the overpasses. (Robert Moses deliberately designed the parkways so they could never be used by trucks or buses).

North on 110 to the Walt Whitman Shops shopping mall.  You can park the Air-o-doodle there (it would never fit on my street).

Call me from there and I'll give direction on how to walk the remaining mile and a quarter.

airodoodle.jpg

Ummm what was the question? Unfortunately there's

been a major change my end that's out of my control.

I'm not going.:huh::blink:

All the very best Ken.👍:D

• Haha 4

On 12/22/2023 at 4:27 PM, gumbypickett said:

Ummm what was the question? Unfortunately there's

been a major change my end that's out of my control.

I'm not going.:huh::blink:

All the very best Ken.👍:D

Any American kid who grew up in the 1950s, with a memory jog, will remember the Air-o-doodle from the "Howdy Doody" television series.  The whimsical vehicle was part plane, part train, part boat, and part car.  Just thought it would be just the thing to get Gumby from Tasmania to the Northeast U.S. most expeditiously.  Of course one needs to able to run these different machines.  I, at least, have a little experience in all of them. Car-obvious. Boat- kid growing up around various boats, plus 20+ years US Navy. Plane- Sim, of course, plus some training in the PA 24 Comanche. Steam locomotive training-Standard gauge: Connecticut Valley RR, narrow gauge: Cumbres & Toltec Scenic RR.

Gumby, sorry you couldn't make. 

Merry Christmas to ALL!

Ken

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Ken Q said:

Any American kid who grew up in the 1950s, with a memory jog, will remember the Air-o-doodle from the "Howdy Doody" television series.  The whimsical vehicle was part plane, part train, part boat, and part car.  Just thought it would be just the thing to get Gumby from Tasmania to the Northeast U.S. most expeditiously.  Of course one needs to able to run these different machines.  I, at least, have a little experience in all of them. Car-obvious. Boat- kid growing up around various boats, plus 20+ years US Navy. Plane- Sim, of course, plus some training in the PA 24 Comanche. Steam locomotive training-Standard gauge: Connecticut Valley RR, narrow gauge: Cumbres & Toltec Scenic RR.

Gumby, sorry you couldn't make. 

Merry Christmas to ALL!

Ken

Ken you could have just picked me up.

Ahhh missed it by that much.:D

cheers

Gumby

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

Sorry, Gumby.

By the time I realized it, I couldn't get a reservation for the Air-o-doodle.  They told me it was somewhere in the southern hemisphere, and I hope you'd have a chance.  But then finding someone who could run the thing.  Sorry, can't help with that.

Ken

• Like 2
  • Sad 1