This Week's Meaningless Topic (#171)(Dec 15)

Hi all. When I was a kid, I loved Christmas candy -- chocolate-covered creme drops, ribbon candies, peppermint candy canes, homemade toffee and peanut brittle, and all the rest. My parents exercised supervisory discipline; otherwise I would have lived entirely on the stuff through the entire holiday season. And that leads to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  What are your favorite holiday sweets?

• Like 6

Anything I can sneak off my grandchildren on Christmas day - and my wife doesn't see me;)

I am on a sugar free diet:ph34r:

but - hopefully - she will allow me one serving of Xmas pudding - with brandy cream sauce👍

Edited by John Heaton
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

I've always had a box of chocolate tools, hammer, screwdriver etc however this year I'll be disappointed as noone can find them in the shops, they're just cheap but nice, I also have a thing where if the grandkids want anything open I always have the first one, sort of a tradition since my kids were little...

I couldn't do sugar free as my main vice in life is cakes and biscuits...

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

For the festive season my wife usually produces a traditional but very tasty and moist Christmas Cake.

I don't really have a particularly sweet tooth but she does also bake some delicious cakes throughout the year (date and walnut then chocolate and beetroot have been amongst recent highlights).

The state of my waistline, however, means that I'm only allowed them if we have visitors or we are doing something active (walking, cycling etc) :-[

I guess being out for a walk or a bike ride sort of counts as a 'holiday' so I'll go with Carol's Cakes - when I'm allowed :)

All the best,

John

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

We are baking numerous types of (German) Christmas cookies in a family event every year. My favourite ones are the Bethmaennchen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethmännchen 

Bethmännchen (German for "a little Bethmann") is a pastry made from marzipan with almond, powdered sugar, rosewater, flour and egg. It is a traditional cookie usually baked for Christmas Day ... The name comes from the family of Bethmann. Legend has it that Parisian pastry chef Jean Jacques Gautenier developed the recipe for banker and city councilor Simon Moritz von Bethmann in 1838. ... After one and a half centuries of manufacturing, its form and recipe has never been changed.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I forgot to say that the wife makes a couple of Christmas cakes, she gives out little slices to so many people, every they're asking if she's making a cake because they all enjoy it, I love the smell of them but I don't like what's in them so I never eat any, bit of a tradition now I suppose in our family..

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, wain71 said:

I forgot to say that the wife makes a couple of Christmas cakes, she gives out little slices to so many people, every they're asking if she's making a cake because they all enjoy it, I love the smell of them but I don't like what's in them so I never eat any, bit of a tradition now I suppose in our family..

I'm the same the glazed cherries and other citrus pieces

they put in never appealed to me, I found it very artificial.

Don't tell your wife.😝

cheers

Gumby

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

I also don't have much of a sweet tooth. My wife likes to bake, and she does have a bit of a sweet tooth, so she's been frustrated for all these years since I am a reluctant consumer of her creations. My favorite dessert after Christmas dinner is a nice platter of different cheeses and crackers, along with a little brandy and coffee.

Ken

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

20 hours ago, BradB said:

Pumpkin pie for me . 🙂🙂

Cheers

John

never tried Pumpkin, now is this version a sweet or a vegetable option?...serious question because I assumed pumpkins were like a root veg, sorry if I sound a bit dumb..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wain71 said:

never tried Pumpkin, now is this version a sweet or a vegetable option?...serious question because I assumed pumpkins were like a root veg, sorry if I sound a bit dumb..

A tasty sweet vegetable .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wain71 said:

Wayne, pumpkin pie is delicious. It's made with pureed pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg. The distinctive pumpkin spice fragrance and taste have migrated into holiday flavoring for all sorts of other things, from coffee to ice cream. COSTCO makes a Thanksgiving/Christmas pumpkin pie that is the highlight of my culinary year.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Wayne, pumpkin pie is delicious. It's made with pureed pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg. The distinctive pumpkin spice fragrance and taste have migrated into holiday flavoring for all sorts of other things, from coffee to ice cream. COSTCO makes a Thanksgiving/Christmas pumpkin pie that is the highlight of my culinary year.

Cheers Rodger for explaining, I just looked and it is in Costco in the UK, we're members of a local one I'll take a look and see if they're in stock...do you just serve it cold?... sounds really nice... gotta try one...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wain71 said:

Cheers Rodger for explaining, I just looked and it is in Costco in the UK, we're members of a local one I'll take a look and see if they're in stock...do you just serve it cold?... sounds really nice... gotta try one...

Warm with whipped creme or cold out of the Fridge .

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1