When do you put your Christmas decorations up?

boetie

My wife being English was always a traditionalist, it had to be twelve days before Christmas. Over the years she has softened ( commercial pressure) and we now start (I say start because it takes two or three days) to assemble, erect, place, etc  the collection of decorations and lights on 1st December. For us it is a hot and humid time of year so it means all windows closed with the aircon on with a bottle or two of fizzy wine, normally with Christmas songs  blasting out. Just wondering when others start the decorating and if you have traditions, alcohol or not ?

• Like 5

my house it's when I am told, however it's never a set date but I think it's this Sunday.....it's sad last year and this as my youngest moved out, she's 27 now but me and her set up the tree whilst the wife did the other stuff every year together, done it since she was small now it's just the two of us, feels weird.....but yeah we have Christmas music on and have a drink or two....never before the 1st Dec and always down 12 days after Christmas day....

• Like 5

Don't bother anymore haven't done for years the daughter was always away at Christmas so I didn't bother putting any decorations up and now with Mr Rollo he would just wreck the tree so bar humbug at Emmsie House we still have a great Christmas but without the decorations and we don't have to spend hours putting them up and taking them down again. 

cheers 

Iain 

• Like 6

Like Iain and family, my wife and I no longer go to much fuss. We are alone, so it doesn't make much sense to put decorations up just to look at them and then take them down again. We put up a string of lights on the outdoors patio rail, and a string of lights on a bookshelf indoors, and call it enough. I will say we do enjoy the homes that do go all out, so if you are one of those, thanks! 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Like Iain and family, my wife and I no longer go to much fuss. We are alone, so it doesn't make much sense to put decorations up just to look at them and then take them down again. We put up a string of lights on the outdoors patio rail, and a string of lights on a bookshelf indoors, and call it enough. I will say we do enjoy the homes that do go all out, so if you are one of those, thanks! 

5 hours ago, John Burgess said:

Not much fuss in the Burgess household. A tree and a few other things - we do still get the Grandkids visiting at some point.

As to when - whenever Carol tells me we're going to do it ;)

All the best,

John

We still do some Christmas decorations, but like Rodge and Trudy, it's just the two of us now.  Some old favorite decorations, including the wife's Christmas stocking she's had since she was five, decorate the mantle.  Back in the fifties my mother was into ceramics, and she did lovely angels and a beautiful Nativity Set.  Those come out every year.  We now get a small tree which goes on a table since we can't reach the bottom branches any more if it's on the floor.  We have decorations, some dating back to even before WW2, that we love to use.  We like a Victorian themed tree, and now use individual battery powered LED candles.

As for when, that depends on the work calendar.  This year is especially bad, we work evenings from the Thursday before Christmas to the Thursday after, with only Christmas Eve and Day off. But with church obligations we don't even get those really off either. So this year it will probably be the Tuesday before Christmas. We keep them up through the 12th Day (Epiphany, Jan 6).

Early wishes for a Merry Christmas or a Happy whatever Holiday you celebrate!

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 5

17 hours ago, boetie said:

My wife being English was always a traditionalist, it had to be twelve days before Christmas.

Humbug ! - sorry old mate - tell'er shees rong - one takes them DOWN 12 days after Xmas:ph34r:

In our late 80s - after years of putting them up and taking them down - all we do is place a "Crib" (stable replica) on the sideboard -

just to remind us  - "what Christmas is really all about";)

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, John Heaton said:

Humbug ! - sorry old mate - tell'er shees rong - one takes them DOWN 12 days after Xmas:ph34r:

In our late 80s - after years of putting them up and taking them down - all we do is place a "Crib" (stable replica) on the sideboard -

just to remind us  - "what Christmas is really all about";)

She's a stickler for taking them down 12 days after as well John. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have always wanted to know how this was handled in different cultures and specially when you remove them...

Here, most people starts decorating by mid November some crazy ones start on the last week of October.

Some houses look beautiful and elegant but others look like a bazaar, a bunch of stuff with no sense or taste, just lighting everything up and leaving not a single corner without decorations or lights.

Officially you can remove the decorations after Jan 6th, (day the three kings arrived) probably next week, but of course, after the mandatory gathering to pray and have food with family and friends.

Some last longer in keeping them.

I had the idea that in the northern hemisphere this decors where kept during the whole winter.

I live alone and I started to find it quite boring to decor the house to remove all just on Jan 1st, specially because it is just me seeing all that. Started to become boring at my almost 55. 

For some reason, this year, I don't feel in tune with the season, though I love Christmas. I do enjoy watching decorations all over the town.

Two important events in December here are, the lights parade and the national lottery. This year the prize of the lottery is 1.600.000.000 of colones, around $3 million +

The Festival de la Luz (Lights parade) has becoming a tradition in the country. This is a 2017 one showcase but it is the same event every year just the participants, bands and floats change.

This are some participants for this year

Happy Holidays to you all!

Cheers

Carlos

Edited by carlosqr
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Visited your lovely country a few years back Carlos.  Mostly in the San Isidro de El General area with friends.

<longitude>-83.71815003476308
            <latitude>9.409619291947836

As for Christmas decorations I have already (a few days ago) put up some small lights and garland/wreaths out front but not too much.  My wife manages the interior decorations and goes a bit wild...lol.   I just get down the boxes from the garage and try to stay out of her way.  Typically it all comes down on Jan 1

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Visited your lovely country a few years back Carlos.  Mostly in the San Isidro de El General area with friends.

That's a very nice area there. Rural, yet quite authentic, nice gentle people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

No Christmas tree here, simply because

I hope to be invited elsewhere.:D

cheers

Gumby

16 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

No Christmas tree here, simply because

I hope to be invited elsewhere.:D

cheers

Gumby

It is my pleasure to invite you to join us for Christmas, Gumby.  But it is a bit of a trip!

Ken

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ken Q said:

It is my pleasure to invite you to join us for Christmas, Gumby.  But it is a bit of a trip!

Ken

Thanks very much Ken, I'll be there on the 24th but

I'll only stay for 2 months. I don't want to outstay my welcome.

Plus I'll save you on water, I'll only shower every 3 weeks.👍

cheers

Gumby

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

OK, Gumby.  I'll order a tent for the back yard.  They are talking about an El Nino winter, so there shouldn't be too many below 0 nights (it's the middle of winter "up here")  I'll gladly provide buckets of water.  I set out several of full ones, as well as an empty with holes punched in the bottom. That way you may shower as often as you like.   

K

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ken Q said:

OK, Gumby.  I'll order a tent for the back yard.  They are talking about an El Nino winter, so there shouldn't be too many below 0 nights (it's the middle of winter "up here")  I'll gladly provide buckets of water.  I set out several of full ones, as well as an empty with holes punched in the bottom. That way you may shower as often as you like.   

K

Your a funny man Ken. I like your humour.

There for I'll stay 3mnths.😱🥶:lol:

cheers

Gumby

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Ken Q said:

After month two you can fetch your own water.  Also, the beer is on you.

Look up what Ben Franklin (in Poor Richard) said about fish and visitors.

Ken

Beer no probs there I'll even give you one.

Fish and visitors stink after 3 days hmmm.

I'll leave the fish here at home.😁

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/3/2023 at 3:35 AM, Ken Q said:

After month two you can fetch your own water.  Also, the beer is on you.

Look up what Ben Franklin (in Poor Richard) said about fish and visitors.

Ken

I had to google that, quite true if you ask me......

didn't put ours up this week as I expected, maybe next Sunday fi she's finished wrapping!....

• Like 1

My decorations have been up for about three weeks, my wife insisted as she loves Christmas and all the decorations and she wants to enjoy them being up in the house as we are going on holiday for a Caribbean cruise and holiday next week.

• Like 5

It's a totally different Christmas this year re decorations. There's this 11month old puppy who has changed the setup. This year all decos are above 4 or 5 feet. No more traditional trees on the floor, no lights plugged in down low but lots of joy. This time last year we were preparing for the arrival of Zimbee (some of you might remember), where did that 12 months go?! We'll see if we get through with no destruction. I'll post a picture or two of the innocent hound soon. Best to you and your four/two legged loved ones :)

Cheers 

Graeme

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2