THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC (#165)(Nov 3

Hi All. I've been remembering the good old days when I was a kid and the family would pile into the car for the weekly Sunday drive. Sometimes we would go up into the Cascades to a lake or river. Sometimes over to Mt. Hood or up to Mt. St. Helens for some snow time. Sometimes a drive up the Columbia Gorge to a scenic spot. Sometimes a daytrip to the Pacific beaches. Sometimes over to Portland for the zoo or the Rose Gardens. Lots of fond memories, and that leads to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  What outings did you enjoy when you were a kid?

• Like 6

A day trip to BLACKPOOL - google it 

Although I lived there for 4 years during the war (WW11) - we used to go for a day trip on the train - quite regular

- to enjoy the fun of all the penny arcades - and the world-famous Pleasure Beach and Tower

I would bet that most of the Brits on here - would know what I mean ;)

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, John Heaton said:

would bet that most of the Brits on here - would know what I mean

Memories :)

I grew up in Kendal about 50 miles North of Blackpool. I remember being taken by my parents to the illuminations (lots of lights on buildings, trams etc). Magic when you are a wee kid!

Usually we just got down to the Morecambe illuminations - not quite as impressive ;)

Edit, just saw Iain's post - we clearly grew up not far from each other!

All the best,

John

• Like 4
  • Upvote 5

Dad would drive us (mum and my two brothers) down to Lakes Entrance (east of Melbourne AUS) in a caravan.

Mum applied coconut oil to our skin so we could sunbake, we got burnt but eventually went brown.

You could swin in the ocean or on the other side of the sand dune in the lake.  A great holiday spot, topped off by banana splits for lunch.

Cheers

Ken

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

So many fine memories here, brings back a flood of my own.

John Newton's memory of Blackpool brings back one: Coney Island.  (Google that too).  Grandpa loved Coney Island for its famous Boardwalk and amusement parks (there were several, most long gone).  The favorite though was Steeplechase.  Grandpa took advantage of the grandkids birthdays as an excuse, so the bunch of us would pile into the 1950 Mercury and have a wonderful time.

The other notable one was "Freedom Land USA.". This was a history themed park that only lasted five years in the early sixties, but it had stern wheel steamboats," a steam train, and attractions like the "Chicago Fire" which we "helped" put out.  Somewhat educational, but great fun, and we went several times each summer while it lasted.  (Google Freedom Land or look it up on YouTube).

Ken

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BradB said:

Our family plus my mother's parents would camp here every Summer for 10 days when I was growing up . Boy was that water cold .........😁😁

https://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/wa/early-winters/

Cheers

John

Sounds nice, John. 

I did a little camping with Dad while in the Boy Scouts, and once on a family trip to Taconic State Park.  Was fun, but never caught on as a regular thing.

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ken Q said:

So many fine memories here, brings back a flood of my own.

John Newton's memory of Blackpool brings back one: Coney Island.  (Google that too).  Grandpa loved Coney Island for its famous Boardwalk and amusement parks (there were several, most long gone).  The favorite though was Steeplechase.  Grandpa took advantage of the grandkids birthdays as an excuse, so the bunch of us would pile into the 1950 Mercury and have a wonderful time.

The other notable one was "Freedom Land USA.". This was a history themed park that only lasted five years in the early sixties, but it had stern wheel steamboats," a steam train, and attractions like the "Chicago Fire" which we "helped" put out.  Somewhat educational, but great fun, and we went several times each summer while it lasted.  (Google Freedom Land or look it up on YouTube).

Ken

Sorry John, HEATON, the spell checker strikes again!!!

• Haha 8

Our family spent 2 weeks in Yosemite National Park every summer, close to 20 weeks in total over time.  Still love going there and hiked all over the valley and upper areas.  Other than that many short trips to the Calif Gold Rush foothills areas to go fishing and a few trips to the boardwalk at Santa Cruz on the ocean.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, John Burgess said:

Memories :)

I grew up in Kendal about 50 miles North of Blackpool. I remember being taken by my parents to the illuminations (lots of lights on buildings, trams etc). Magic when you are a wee kid!

Usually we just got down to the Morecambe illuminations - not quite as impressive ;)

Edit, just saw Iain's post - we clearly grew up not far from each other!

All the best,

John

memories indeed - glad you mentioned the illuminations John - a site to behold - 4 miles of lights and scenery - a long slow drive for

the length - and fish and chips at the end - my 5 kids just loved it every year - 

https://www.visitblackpool.com/things-to-do/blackpool-illuminations/

My sister lives in Morecambe - Blackpool's little brother - best place there was Middleton Towers Holiday camp - which could have been 

my answer to the question - with Butlins all over the UK - even spent our honeymoon at the Skegness one

Now that was memorable !!;):rolleyes::D:blink:👍

used to travel to Kendal every year to play against Kendal RUFC

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

As mentioned I grew up in Kendal, on the edge of the English Lake District.

Favourite place to visit as a kid was the Eskdale valley where my folks would take us camping at Brotherilkeld Farm. Just a farmers field in those days, no facilities, but a river to play in and streams to dam :)

The best bit, however, was the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway (L'aal Ratty). My Mum and Dad would put my sister and myself on at one end and pick us up at the other. They got 40 mins of peace and quiet, my sister had an annoying little brother to look after, and I ended up with memories to last a lifetime.

I still visit occasionally and it's one of those places where the years fall away!

And there are plenty of years!

As a kid I remember the excitement when a new engine arrived - the River Mite.

It celebrated it's 50th anniversary in 2017 :lol:

Here it is in action.

River-Mite-at-Rock-Point.jpg.af5e5ffc3530df076d19db1ee1747b95.jpg

All the best,

John

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

On 11/2/2023 at 7:35 AM, John Heaton said:

A day trip to BLACKPOOL - google it 

Although I lived there for 4 years during the war (WW11) - we used to go for a day trip on the train - quite regular

- to enjoy the fun of all the penny arcades - and the world-famous Pleasure Beach and Tower

I would bet that most of the Brits on here - would know what I mean ;)

Hope I'm not being rude by asking how many decades has it been since you experienced Blackpool? I remember being taken there for holidays when I was around 5 or 6 back in the early 70s and like you, I enjoyed it. I briefly seen it back in 2014 and wasn't at all impressed with how it looks now. I believe it has also become popular for Hen & Stag weekends so lots of drunk adults at weekends. To be fair, many of our coastal towns have suffered decades of decay so it's not on it's own.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My parents wasn't exactly the rich ones, we didn't owned a car and we didn't go on vacation.
But in the summer time we almost went to a vacation camp for childrens, to the island of ameland in the netherlands.
My uncle organized the camp together with the church.
Three weeks boys' camp, three weeks girls' camp.
My father was the camp leader and my mother helped in the kitchen.
Later, I was sometimes also a group leader at the boys' camp.
When I think about it, I think, the three weeks of the girls' camp 
was the most fun, in that time, i had my own room and my own freetime, my both sisters were in the girls camp

and three weeks i could felt like a rooster in the basket.  :D

Ulrich

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Badl4ndz said:

Hope I'm not being rude by asking how many decades has it been since you experienced Blackpool? I remember being taken there for holidays when I was around 5 or 6 back in the early 70s and like you, I enjoyed it. I briefly seen it back in 2014 and wasn't at all impressed with how it looks now. I believe it has also become popular for Hen & Stag weekends so lots of drunk adults at weekends. To be fair, many of our coastal towns have suffered decades of decay so it's not on it's own.

no - you are not being rude I think I have been back there 3 times since coming to Australia 52 years ago 

Certainly 1980 when I took 2 of my sons on a world trip that included the UK and 2008 when the boss and I went to celebrate our 50th anniversary

and you are right - it was not the Blackpool that I lived in and remembered as a kid and adult - everything was shabby

I recently view d a video by Huddesson on u tube - and it looked even worse.

Mind you it was full of drunks in my day at weekends - and I was one of them - on works and bowling outings in the 50s:blink:

• Like 4

9 hours ago, John Heaton said:

no - you are not being rude I think I have been back there 3 times since coming to Australia 52 years ago 

Certainly 1980 when I took 2 of my sons on a world trip that included the UK and 2008 when the boss and I went to celebrate our 50th anniversary

and you are right - it was not the Blackpool that I lived in and remembered as a kid and adult - everything was shabby

I recently view d a video by Huddesson on u tube - and it looked even worse.

Mind you it was full of drunks in my day at weekends - and I was one of them - on works and bowling outings in the 50s:blink:

I found Huddison's YouTube channel and watched his Blackpool Vlog. Quite a departure from his normal topic of MSFS2020 videos.

There is another YouTube channel that takes a critical look at mainly the west country, which is the other childhood holiday destination that I experienced many times in the 70s. The channel is called Turdtowns if you wish to take a look. Torbay, the English Riviera was my childhood favorite and a real jewel appears to have lost it's sparkle now. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1