This Week's Meaningless Topic (#149)(July 14)

Hi all. As we all know, all men are excellent cooks. Not that we are all masters of haute cuisine, but we are all really good at cooking something -- shrimp on the barbie, hamburgers on the grill, spaghetti and meat sauce, a can of beans. And that leads us to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  what are you really good at cooking?

• Like 4

Hello Rodger,
I can cook all kinds of things, but Mrs Cooper will not let me.
She is a much better cook than I am and in all fairness, I am 
happy to leave it to her. :)
In return, I am expected to clean up the unspeakable mess
in the kitchen, once we have eaten.
I am constantly amazed at just how many pots and pans are

needed for a simple meal. :(

• Haha 5
  • Upvote 3

A sandwich.

It wasn’t so much a sandwich as it was just high-grain bread.
A lot of grain.
Fermented grain.
Distilled, fermented grain.
I made whisky for dinner tonight.

Edited by W2DR
kant spel
  • Haha 8

3 minutes ago, W2DR said:

A sandwich.

It wasn’t so much as a sandwich as much as it was just bread.
I guess more just grain.
Fermented grain.
Distilled, fermented grain.
I had whisky for dinner tonight.

Beer, whisky and wine?  The medical pundits always insist that we include grain and fruit in our diet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 2

Chinese.

Back some years ago my wife was working in a defense plant, and I was home finishing my dissertation.  By 4:00 I had enough of the academic work, so I would then get everything ready for dinner.  In those days most of our dinners were Chinese, and I'd have everything cut up, sauces made, and set out ready to cook.

At this time we also offered a Chinese banquet for our church social club at the time of the Lunar New Year.  Wife and I, with the assistance of a committee prepared a traditional ten course Chinese dinner for 60-70 people.  We did this for about ten years, ending in .1990

Then came Desert Shield, and I was sent to Naples, Italy.  I was assigned to a four bedroom apartment with five other guys.  The apartment had a nice, albeit small kitchen, so we established a mess where everyone contributed, and I did most of the cooking.  Because of that my wife sent me a care package of Chinese ingredients which I couldn't get in Naples.  My housemates and other friends got an education in Chinese cuisine (and I don't mean the stuff pervaded by the local take-out or Chop Suey house.

Since I returned from Europe and the Mid East, we developed a taste for Middle Eastern food, but that became my wife's specialty.  I help with meal preparation, but now the wife does most of it.

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

My one and only ability is to say, "If you don't feel like cooking, let's go out to eat."

A sentiment I fully agree with.  At this point in our lives, we frequently have dinner delivered.  At times we'll pick up a meal for lunch as well, and from one Afghan place we'll usually buy enough for two or three meals. The food reheats very well in the oven.  At this point the convenience is important, we can afford it, and we also believe in supporting our local eateries, some of which took a real pasting during the pandemic.  The main reason we opt for takeout rather than dine in is our reluctance to drive at night.

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

We'll have a barbie most weekends. I'm in charge because I'm simply the best. Our local supermarket chain does really nice kangaroo steaks marinaded in herb and garlic which I cook perfectly. I can't take credit for the marinade however I do roast a mean leg of lamb in the barbie. I have got into injecting with various flavours and applying rubs with various cuts (not just lamb) I love it. If you're in the neighborhood let me know. Any excuse to fire up the barbie.

Cheers

Graeme :)

Edited by boetie
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

I really enjoy cooking, I find it really relaxing and everyone seems to like it.. I remember doing Christmas dinner the other year for 13 guests, most stressful bit was dishing it all up.....most common request is a chicken and leek pie, it has a cheese and white wine sauce, usually with potato gratin and some seasonal veg.....the wife can cook but she hates doing it, I can't wait to have a bit more time, Thursday was great because I got home early, flew a bit in MSFS then made some bread and a simple chicken & bacon Pasta bake, I was well happy.....

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

On 7/16/2023 at 7:12 PM, adambar said:

Yes, but we'll worth the effort plus a good laugh. 😄

Many people wouldn't have a clue what a Dutch oven is. Thanks for the laugh Adam!

• Upvote 1