This Week's Meaningless Topic (#147)(June 30)

Hi all. If you visit this thread each week, you have noticed that posts come in from all around the globe. Recently, I realized that not only do our participants live in many places but also those places are among some of the world's most beautiful locations. And that realization pointed me to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC: What scenery where you live do you most enjoy?

• Like 3

Burning Blue Design Little Gransden.  It might not be the most advanced scenery out there but 30 years ago, as a spritely 17 year old, I did my first solo there. And they've done a good rendition.

Edited by Pukcip
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Cataract Gorge.

It's about half a Km behind where I live in Summerhill

Launceston. It flows down into the Basin which has public

swimming pools for free and picnic and play areas.

I can still hear the water rushing down the gorge now after

recent rain falls.

Sorry I can't do any pics I never really learnt.:wacko:

It's worth looking up though.:)

cheers

Gumby

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, gumbypickett said:

Cataract Gorge.

t's worth looking up though.:)

cheers

Gumby

So I did look it up, Grant, and was much impressed. Lovely bridge, scenic variety (I liked the rocky canyon), and lots of recreational options. There was one shot of the river at flood--WOW!

• Like 2

Hello Rodger,
this guide is about a village close to where I live.
Walk: Deep Dale and Bishop Wilton, East Riding of Yorkshire | Countryfile.com
It may not be dramatic but there are far worse places to be.

In the opposite direction is this bridge, which is older than the USA and still carries
all the traffic over the River Derwent
Stamford Bridge (bridge) - Wikipedia

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gumbypickett said:

Cataract Gorge.

It's about half a Km behind where I live in Summerhill

Launceston. It flows down into the Basin which has public

swimming pools for free and picnic and play areas.

I can still hear the water rushing down the gorge now after

recent rain falls.

Sorry I can't do any pics I never really learnt.:wacko:

It's worth looking up though.:)

cheers

Gumby

Oh I can understand this, Gumby. I was there in 2002 for the first time, and do not forget it. I do have a picture of myself on the Alexandra suspension bridge, and I look much younger than today...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Oh I can understand this, Gumby. I was there in 2002 for the first time, and do not forget it. I do have a picture of myself on the Alexandra suspension bridge, and I look much younger than today...

My Grandfather helped rebuild it after the 1929 floods.

Imagine the amount of water flowing down back then.

I live up in the higher suburbs, so I'm safe.:)

cheers

Gumby

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, gumbypickett said:

My Grandfather helped rebuild it after the 1929 floods.

Imagine the amount of water flowing down back then.

I live up in the higher suburbs, so I'm safe.:)

cheers

Gumby

Did they still have the Stillwater restaurant and accomodation 

back then? I left L'ton college across the road back in 1985 and can't

remember.???

cheers

Gumby

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Rodger,

In the opposite direction is this bridge, which is older than the USA and still carries

Lovely! Coming from a very mountainous area, I actually do more often like rolling hills and dales.

But I do not catch how they can play football on such a small bridge. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Rodger,

Perfect for the for legged companions Nick :)

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

Did they still have the Stillwater restaurant and accomodation 

back then? I left L'ton college across the road back in 1985 and can't

remember.???

cheers

Gumby

At least the restaurant was there in 2002. If someone wonders, where I chose my forum name…

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Here in the Pacific Northwest of the USA, we are blessed with all the scenery there is. I mean that literally. In the adjacent states of Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana, most of the world's geography is reproduced. When I was an advisor to foreign students at Washington State University, they used to marvel that within a few hours' drive, they could find their home geography -- alpine mountain ranges, oceans, high plains, drylands, rolling hill reaches, lakes, rivers, canyons, rain forests, fjords, and a whole bunch of volcanos, Including the one near my old home town that blew its top in 1980. Not bragging, it's just the luck of location, and I happily also celebrate the beauty of the places highlighted in the posts above.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

wow there are some wonderful places mentioned above, I have had to google a few and they look lovely, living in a big City I don't have many views, the classic is Brunel's Suspension Bridge with a nice balloon floating over it when the fiesta is on....we have a 2 year old static caravan in Somerset, it's our little escape we both like to go to, there's a beach, very flat but I wouldn't go in the water, but do you know what, if you go there at the right time on a summers evening when the sun is dipping it's absolutely lovely, really enjoy watching a sunset with the wife and the water looks better at that time to...

I am very envious of some of your views and areas you can go walking in, but we do have nice stuff in the Uk and I do like the Cotswolds which isn't far from me...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Wain -- if I were to answer this question based on my early 34 years in the UK and where do I go to when I come over there -

it also would be the Cotswolds' 

My Great Grandmother was born there -and many an annual camp in the Boy scouts - and the villages are beautiful.

Here's a copy of my 2nd oil painting of the famous Castle Combe village

Castle Combe 1974 2.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Stillwater said:

At least the restaurant was there in 2002. If someone wonders, where I chose my forum name…

Finally Gerold I know where your avatar name originates. I've always liked your forum name :)

• Like 3

20 hours ago, John Heaton said:

Our Whitsunday 74 Islands - sailed in them for 3 years - you can go there via Hamilton  Airport

this a panorama of the famous Hill Inlet

My Hill Inlet 01.jpg

14 hours ago, wain71 said:

wow there are some wonderful places mentioned above, I have had to google a few and they look lovely, living in a big City I don't have many views, the classic is Brunel's Suspension Bridge with a nice balloon floating over it when the fiesta is on....we have a 2 year old static caravan in Somerset, it's our little escape we both like to go to, there's a beach, very flat but I wouldn't go in the water, but do you know what, if you go there at the right time on a summers evening when the sun is dipping it's absolutely lovely, really enjoy watching a sunset with the wife and the water looks better at that time to...

I am very envious of some of your views and areas you can go walking in, but we do have nice stuff in the Uk and I do like the Cotswolds which isn't far from me...

One of life's pleasures Wayne is the sun setting over the ocean (with a drink in hand)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 6/30/2023 at 5:10 PM, Stillwater said:

Same in my eyes here. I just don’t have a swimming pool…

I can correct myself. There are some nice places near my home, I just consider them "normal" in everyday thinking. Like the Herrenhäuser Gärten:

tXX3sTC.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1