Orbx and Melbourne

John Heaton

Just watched British Avgeek with his stream of YMML to Hamilton - and a good tour of the new airport on pre release

Amazed at the size of the place - soooh different to the day we first landed there as a family - 4 days after it opened

Sept 1 1971

Well done Orbx - hope to see it on the MS market place soon

now for YMMB

Edited by John Heaton
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Scott Harmes said:

Yeah I watched it too, only up until after departure though, had other things to do last night.  YMML looks great!

i thought that the textures on roads and car parks were pure 2d and spoils the whole effort - see the transition

from Bridge to road on freeway entrance

Not much you can do about that, you can't make all surrounding roads and car parks a ground poly.  The car parks at YMML are massive.  I think they nailed the portions of the ground poly that they had to make a ground poly.  There is always going to be a transition point, and the one on the bridge happens to be so visible due to the bridge having a texture on a model vs pure photo texture.

• Like 1

Installed last night.

Wow. Stunning rendition of my home airport.

Insane level of realism. Maxed out my RTX4080's 16 GB of VRAM instantly but still had great FPS at 4k in the PMDG 738.

I'd like to have the option to reduce or remove terminal interiors but it's a minor thing really.

Excellent work (again) team.

Steve

• Like 2

5 hours ago, steve_mac said:

Wow. Stunning rendition of my home airport.

Insane level of realism. Maxed out my RTX4080's 16 GB of VRAM instantly but still had great FPS at 4k in the PMDG 738.

I'd like to have the option to reduce or remove terminal interiors but it's a minor thing really.

Glad you like it!

There's a control panel option in Orbx Central that lets you deactivate people inside the terminals. It'll help with performance if you need it.

On the other hand the same control panel gives you the option to activate more than 10-thousand (!) cars on the long term car parks, which are not active by default. They're performance optimized through instancing, so if your performance is good, it's worth to check them out too. :)

Bests,

Sascha

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Aussie123 said:

Are there a lot of moving cars around the airport? Static cars or empty roads look very odd.

IIRC yes, and the video above shows even the red double decker SkyBus's lapping around the terminals...

Edited by Dr Smith
  • Like 1

Sorry guys exernally looks great but internally that is very disapointing.  Terminal 1 and south terminal are ok but the international terminal is garbage.  Having flown in and out of YMML many amny times was hoping to see some decent resemblance in the international and the arrival areas - no desks, no large international desk etc, nothing at all.  Lot of money for an incomplete job.  Sorry just stating as I expected much better.   

27 minutes ago, Seth2413 said:

Sorry guys exernally looks great but internally that is very disapointing.  Terminal 1 and south terminal are ok but the international terminal is garbage.  Having flown in and out of YMML many amny times was hoping to see some decent resemblance in the international and the arrival areas - no desks, no large international desk etc, nothing at all.  Lot of money for an incomplete job.  Sorry just stating as I expected much better.   

It's a flight simulator.  The interiors are provided as a backdrop to operations from inside the aircraft.  That's my understanding of what the developer is trying to achieve.  

Also there may be constraints on what was available as far as access and permissions, we don't know.

As for me, I'm going to continue to enjoy it from where I sit in MSFS, in the cockpit.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, John Dow said:

It's a flight simulator.  The interiors are provided as a backdrop to operations from inside the aircraft.  That's my understanding of what the developer is trying to achieve.  

Also there may be constraints on what was available as far as access and permissions, we don't know.

As for me, I'm going to continue to enjoy it from where I sit in MSFS, in the cockpit.

Fair enough im the same as far as internals but with prices for airports they way they are anything around $35 AUD id expect to see good internals being modelled.  There are some brilliant examples of great internal renditions of airports out there - KDCA or KEWR for example.  There was a quite a bit of hype in the leadup and the description says internal modelling of departure lounges.  Anyway from outside does look very nice and we've been waiting so long so was always going to get it, just not wow'd like some airports ive purchased.  

Hi @Sascha Normann

Got a small error report for your YMML: The glide slop antennas used are incorrect, those are actually no antennas. Yes there's the vertical support structure, but there are no beam emitters on it. Can't quite work to emit a glide slope beam that way :)

And while you're at it I have some small improvement suggestions I hope you can consider;

YMML is embedded very nicely into its surroundings with 3D objects all around, making it look authentic and life-like. Except for two areas in direct view on final approach:

- On Final for RWY09 one is greeted by this all flat construction area to the left. Might it be possible to place a few stock objects there, a truck, a container, ANYthing really that makes this a bit more realistic to look at. Doesn't even need every object in 3D, just a select few will do nicely I think.

MicrosoftFlightSimulatorScreenshot2023_06.23-02_45_29_07.thumb.png.501818fcd4d31d127afbf46b4959eb3a.png

- And secondly on final for RWY34 there is this gigantic warehouse type building visible on the aerial imagery but it's all flat. It's so big you can't not see it, so I wonder if it would be possible to place a low poly generic warehouse at its position?

I know it's a construction site but the structure is there and just doesn't fit the lovely 3D work next to it. If it wouldn't be that big and not directly on short final it wouldn't be an issue, but like this its just something that is too obvious to ignore I think. As I said, needs nothing fancy, just generic and low poly will do fine, as long as the result is not flat. 

MicrosoftFlightSimulatorScreenshot2023_06.23-02_43_22_32.thumb.jpg.8de9b2bd3a9ca4a908fb33fc4bf9c89f.jpg

I hope you can consider these to perfectly round off your superb work.

All the best,

Markus

A great depiction of Melbourne airport but the colour of the grass and it's texture  surrounding the runways just doesn't seem right. The green is too deep and doesn't match that of the real airport, the texture seems more synthetic than bladed.

Steve

Edited by Striker

1 hour ago, Striker said:

A great depiction of Melbourne airport but the colour of the grass and it's texture  surrounding the runways just doesn't seem right. The green is too deep and doesn't match that of the real airport, the texture seems more synthetic than bladed.

Steve

Initially I had similar thoughts but it looks natural now after a few hours experiencing it and getting used to it. 

17 hours ago, John Dow said:

Initially I had similar thoughts but it looks natural now after a few hours experiencing it and getting used to it. 

Don't know, flown in and out of Melbourne quite a few times in all weather in real world flights but I can't recall it looking like this, I have all the other Orbx Aussie airports and the colours and textures are spot on, not so Melbourne.

On 6/27/2023 at 11:01 AM, Striker said:

I assume you mean it should look less saturated in terms of green grass, correct?

We've had the same thoughts here when we worked on it but then the airport would stand out like a sore thumb from the surrounding Bing imagery, which is unfortunately very strong and dark.

So yes, fixing it would be an option but it would make the airport stand out from many miles away. I'm not sure if that is what we want?

Bests,

Sascha

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 6/23/2023 at 2:35 PM, mburkhard said:

- On Final for RWY09 one is greeted by this all flat construction area to the left. Might it be possible to place a few stock objects there, a truck, a container, ANYthing really that makes this a bit more realistic to look at. Doesn't even need every object in 3D, just a select few will do nicely I think.

Noted!

On 6/23/2023 at 2:35 PM, mburkhard said:

- And secondly on final for RWY34 there is this gigantic warehouse type building visible on the aerial imagery but it's all flat. It's so big you can't not see it, so I wonder if it would be possible to place a low poly generic warehouse at its position?

Actually outside airport perimeters but we agree it looks odd.

Currently discussing if and when we can add it here. There seems to be even another one build right next to it which is not visible on imagery yet.

Bests,

Sascha

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Sascha Normann said:

I assume you mean it should look less saturated in terms of green grass, correct?

We've had the same thoughts here when we worked on it but then the airport would stand out like a sore thumb from the surrounding Bing imagery, which is unfortunately very strong and dark.

So yes, fixing it would be an option but it would make the airport stand out from many miles away. I'm not sure if that is what we want?

Bests,

Sascha

Just an suggestion Sascha - you probably have been working with up-to-date scenery of the airport - the surrounding Bing scenery is circa 2013 -

and so much has changed in the area since then - take look at the latest Bing satellite  - and compare the 2 to see if that might help in some

adjustments.

Hi @Sascha Normann

Incredible effort on YMML. I love it so much.

However my only one gripe is that with FSLTL AI Traffic heavy international carriers are always spawning up at the heavy gates in the Qantas Domestic terminal.

I think this could be due to the sim's AI parking limitations however it would be great if there could be an option provided to disable those gates or make their radius smaller so that it appears more realistic and only Qantas aircraft occupy those spots. The gates specifically are C11 and C3 (I think).

1Capture.JPG

Edited by DModjo

5 hours ago, Sascha Normann said:

Noted!

Actually outside airport perimeters but we agree it looks odd.

Currently discussing if and when we can add it here. There seems to be even another one build right next to it which is not visible on imagery yet.

Thank you Sascha for looking into these.

Yes these warehouses are obviously outside of the airport perimeter, but to me a great airport scenery cannot only look after the airport itself, but also the approach path, to complete the experience of flying into the place.

So thank you for considering this! The building is so big and you pass it low and slow on approach, so having it in 3D will make a nice difference. 

As for the neighbouring building, maybe it will be good enough to simply copy the larger one and shrinking it. Looking at current imagery one can see that these warehouses all seem to have the same architecture. 

19 hours ago, DModjo said:

However my only one gripe is that with FSLTL AI Traffic heavy international carriers are always spawning up at the heavy gates in the Qantas Domestic terminal.

The gate layout it currently being revisited for an update, I will forward that information.

UPDATE: These gates are for the domestic A330's and at least C1 and C12 will remain available for spawning such large types.

23 hours ago, John Heaton said:

Just an suggestion Sascha - you probably have been working with up-to-date scenery of the airport - the surrounding Bing scenery is circa 2013 -

and so much has changed in the area since then - take look at the latest Bing satellite  - and compare the 2 to see if that might help in some

adjustments.

Hmm, no, cannot confirm that. There are buildings in the Bing imagery (as before mentioned warehouse) that have been erected after 2021 - so the imagery is certainly newer than 2013. For the airport imagery we used Nov 2022 imagery. In any case however the date of the imagery does not say anything about the color adjustments required.

No matter if the surrounding Bing imagery is 2013 or later - it's too dark in any case. Tried to find a medium ground between real-world and surrounding MSFS imagery.

Bests,

Sascha

• Thanks 1

On 6/30/2023 at 4:16 PM, Sascha Normann said:

The gate layout it currently being revisited for an update, I will forward that information.

UPDATE: These gates are for the domestic A330's and at least C1 and C12 will remain available for spawning such large types.

Bests,

Sascha

Thats fair, but the correct airport parking codes should prevent international heavies parking there given all the D gates should have the relevent codes in them

• Like 1

Silly question, but I am getting bad frame rates,  17fps, on a good system.

Do I have to uninstall and reinstall the scenery after I disable some of the options in the configure panel ?

***Disreguard***. I forgot to disable the freeware ymml.

Edited by petejohno