Happy Birthday (or Birthyear?), Vegemite

Hats off to Cyril Callister, the gent who made it all possible 100 years ago.

I didn't know this Gerold and thanks for pointing it out.

Can you get it in Germany or do you have to wait to come down under to sample this culinary delight?

I have it regularly on toast for breakfast and it tastes much better now it is back in Australian ownership thanks to Bega Cheese buying it from Kraft.

I just looked at the jar I bought last week and they say Made in Australia since 1923 but Wiki said it was invented in 1922 so the poor people of Australia had to wait an extra year before it was made available.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I love the "Tourist test" reference Gerold. It's certainly a taste that is either loved or hated. Nice observation of the anniversary mate. My blood pressure is a bit on the high side so I avoid it :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, boetie said:

I love the "Tourist test" reference Gerold. It's certainly a taste that is either loved or hated. Nice observation of the anniversary mate. My blood pressure is a bit on the high side so I avoid it :)

Same with my blood pressure.

I skip brekky and just have coffee.

I'm sure that's much better.

Not.:huh:

cheers

Gumby

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

I didn't know that. I like the salty spread. But in this household we seem to have stuck with promite. 

Cheaper I think.:)

cheers

Gumby

Hard to learn that your CFO even limits the gourmet pleasures in your household. I hope that this gives you freedom to in vest in geographical learning material (aka "sceneries").

3 hours ago, boetie said:

I was close to also call it an immigrants test, knowing so many Aussies have overseas roots.

2 hours ago, BradB said:

I will take a pass , not a big fan of anything salty . 

You miss too much. Crisps/chips for example, or salty Lakritz!

5 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Hats off to Cyril Callister, the gent who made it all possible 100 years ago.

I didn't know this Gerold and thanks for pointing it out.

One of the rare occasions where I could discover knowledge to you! I hope you can use it in private talks, just to show how important this forum stuff is!

Can you get it in Germany or do you have to wait to come down under to sample this culinary delight?

I have to make it the second way. I have two trips already in planning, one business and one private. Not before 2024, I assume...

I just looked at the jar I bought last week and they say Made in Australia since 1923 but Wiki said it was invented in 1922 so the poor people of Australia had to wait an extra year before it was made available.

Like every good medicine it probably needed a year to be approved. Think of all the clinical trials...

• Like 5

I will pass...on one of my deployments, we were on a mission with some Aussie troops. They happily shared some Vegemite with me to try. After gagging and trying to smile for them, I then gave them one of my delicious MRE's (Meal Ready to Eat for the uninitiated) as a good faith gesture. We all had some great laughs for the rest of that mission :D 

Edited by Sniper31
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Yes family economics pushed us from Vegemite to Promite as well (our tribe thrived on the stuff) then we discovered 333's MightyMite which was cheaper again and made in Australia since 1919!!! 

I think, if we're honest, most of these xxxmites owe their origin to the famous UK Marmite - the history of which I will leave to a more ethnic forum member :D

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Like every good medicine it probably needed a year to be approved. Think of all the clinical trials...

I have yet to see an obituary for a fit and healthy twenty something athlete who died suddenly after being forced to eat Vegemite.:lol::lol::lol:

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, TerribleT said:

Yes family economics pushed us from Vegemite to Promite as well (our tribe thrived on the stuff) then we discovered 333's MightyMite which was cheaper again and made in Australia since 1919!!! 

I think, if we're honest, most of these xxxmites owe their origin to the famous UK Marmite - the history of which I will leave to a more ethnic forum member :D

Gerold will love this, Marmite(1902), along with the Oxo cube, was  based on the work of Justus von Liebig who you all know was from Darmstadt. Having a quick look at his history, he was one highly clever man. He invented the process of yeast extract from the by products of, wait for it,  beer brewing.

They say all roads lead to Rome, well on here all conversations lead to beer!:lol:

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, TerribleT said:

Marmite was pretty good too.

If you can eat that you can eat any type of mite.

Except Termite.:P

cheers

Gumby

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Gerold will love this, Marmite(1902), along with the Oxo cube, was  based on the work of Justus von Liebig who you all know was from Darmstadt. Having a quick look at his history, he was one highly clever man. He invented the process of yeast extract from the by products of, wait for it,  beer brewing.

They say all roads lead to Rome, well on here all conversations lead to beer!:lol:

No we are back on track, and 

a) I could try to get some...mite here in Europe, though England now is Overseas territory, probably no "food" can be imported from there.

b) the discussion is including a part of science which even includes Karl @flyingleaf, with regards to good usage of yeast.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

The World Health Organization recommends Vegemite for Covid. Has no affect on the virus but makes the sick bloke feel better.

:D! Even after 2.5 years we still learn how to deal with the pandemic. Germans have bought tons of toilet paper (to be equipped in case of "shortnesses"), French bought Condoms (to be "equipped" for a lockdown), and Australians probably stuffed their garages with Vegemite?

9 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

I will pass...on one of my deployments, we were on a mission with some Aussie troops. They happily shared some Vegemite with me to try. After gagging and trying to smile for them, I then gave them one of my delicious MRE's (Meal Ready to Eat for the uninitiated) as a good faith gesture. We all had some great laughs for the rest of that mission :D 

Cool story Landon. That shows humor is needed everywhere.

The German army used EPA ("One MAn pack"), which also serves well to put it under the tyre and stop trucks from rolling down a hill.

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, Stillwater said:

:D! Even after 2.5 years we still learn how to deal with the pandemic. Germans have bought tons of toilet paper (to be equipped in case of "shortnesses"), French bought Condoms (to be "equipped" for a lockdown), and Australians probably stuffed their garages with Vegemite?

Cool story Landon. That shows humor is needed everywhere.

The German army used EPA ("One MAn pack"), which also serves well to put it under the tyre and stop trucks from rolling down a hill.

Back last year, a friend phoned me to say we were back in lockdown again. As he spoke an old bloke rode past on his pushbike with 6 litres of milk and two large packs of toilet rolls, somehow strapped to the carrier on the back of his bike. I always say, buy as much toilet paper as you like and leave the food to me! 

• Haha 4

I have never had it, I was told it was like Marmite and I don't like that.....

on the subject of Army rations, we had what we called 'AB' biscuits, there point was to bung you up a bit, my wife came from a garrison town and was shocked when I told her this, apparently growing up she ate them like normal biscuits- explains a lot...:D

• Haha 4

35 minutes ago, wain71 said:

we had what we called 'AB' biscuits, there point was to bung you up a bit

There is no confirming or denying it by those that might know, but allegedly, in our MRE's, they are designed to have a similar effect. Also allegedly, there has always been rumors that there is salt peter in them. I'll let you do your own research on why they would put that in rations. :unsure: From my own experience, and I ate a ton of those darn rations over 28 years, is the effects are real, to an extent. All that said, I did see the menu choices and variety dramatically improve over those 28 years. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1