Early Morning .... Sydney

renault

On 5/20/2022 at 3:28 PM, Stillwater said:

Fantastic shots Pete. And I have no doubt why the German ship in #2 (Gorch Fock) has to leave: Circulay Quay is occupied as usual (with a british towel), and it is not easy to sail under that bridge.

I didn't know about the German reputation until I spent a few years in the UK. Probably went unnoticed when you were in Oz Gerold :):)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, boetie said:

I didn't know about the German reputation until I spent a few years in the UK.

In other parts of the world it is an English reputation. I find this rivalry rather funy (and avoid crowded places where it occurs)...

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 8:36 PM, flyingleaf said:

Holy smokes Pete these shots look like real life.:)

Thanks Landon :)

They did turn out kinda nice I thought

I especially enjoyed the level of detail that Orbx puts into their scenery that shows in the "coathanger"

Did you know that it is the largest steel arch bridge on the planet.

To me that is real hands on engineering.  When it was built in 1923 engineering calculations were done by hand

and often with a slide rule. I affectionately still have mine which I got when I started university.

Slide rule (The Diary of Samuel Pepys) (pepysdiary.com)

It was made by Keuffel & Esser and came in a leather case that hung off your belt.  Lots of aircraft were designed using this

technology as well.  In fact one way to improve the accuracy of the calculation was to make them "longer".  And they did that by making

a circular slide rule.  If I have it correct, a lot of pilots had a specialized circular one that was used to calculate range, fuel use etc.

It was also very common for sailing  . 

Although it all worked, the science of optimization and strength of materials was in its infancy. As I result the use of "safety factors" was very

common and often resulted in a doubling or tripling of size and strength of materials. Not only has the science and our computational ability now progressed but the ability to more clearly understand how to optimize and minimize the materials used and to use stronger materials is something that was only dreamt of back then.  But it certainly did the job and the structures still are functional and in use today.

Needless to say it wasn't a very efficient tool but it got the job done.  About 4 yrs later I was able to get one of the first electronic calculators designed for the sciences  (first a Texas Instruments and then a Hewlett Packard) and I put it into storage.

Makes me stop and think how far we have come in my  lifetime 

Cheers & thanks

Pete

On 5/19/2022 at 11:28 PM, Stillwater said:

Fantastic shots Pete. And I have no doubt why the German ship in #2 (Gorch Fock) has to leave: Circulay Quay is occupied as usual (with a british towel), and it is not easy to sail under that bridge.

Thanks Gerold

But they always got the job done .... superb seamanship :)

Cheers

Pete

On 5/20/2022 at 12:32 AM, John Mac said:

Stunners Pete, each and everyone of them!

John.

Thanks JM :)

See you 

Pete

On 5/20/2022 at 5:14 AM, BradB said:

Looking mighty fine Pete !! . 

Thanks John :)

All the best!

Pete

On 5/20/2022 at 7:17 AM, lifejogger said:

Wow Pete, these are amazing.

Why thanks John.