An Idea For Airport Developers and MSFS

JohnnyJohnJohn

Is there a way that we can have a switch to turn people on and people off around the airport buildings that are placed by Orbx Developers, especially those that are supposed to be traffic spotters and just hanging out at the airport?  I ask because when you fly at various times of the day, say, around dawn for example, in rainy/foggy/snowy or inclemment weather, I seriously doubt they would still be around at that time, say Pre- 8am or so.   Its highly unrealistic, and it does ruin screen shots when departing at those time frames.   Thanks for considering this in advance in the future and hope it is doable with MSFS,

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JohnnyJohnJohn said:

Is there a way that we can have a switch to turn people on and people off around the airport buildings that are placed by Orbx Developers, especially those that are supposed to be traffic spotters and just hanging out at the airport?  I ask because when you fly at various times of the day, say, around dawn for example, in rainy/foggy/snowy or inclemment weather, I seriously doubt they would still be around at that time, say Pre- 8am or so.   Its highly unrealistic, and it does ruin screen shots when departing at those time frames.   Thanks for considering this in advance in the future and hope it is doable with MSFS,

cc @BradB

Hi J^3

Maybe just to expand upon your idea in a slightly different way:

1) Perhaps Orbx could consider constructing a small application that along with a  proprietary Orbx "People library"

would allow a user to customize any Orbx airport with people/staff both on the tarmac and also inside airport buildings etc.

This would of course require concurrence of that actual developer, but if they were on board, they perhaps could

define appropriate libraries etc. that would be appropriate for the particular airport location and country/region.

2) It could both be fun and allow users of Orbx products to build and enhance airport products in a unique and individual

way if they so desired.

3) In an "ideal world" the app would be able to populate at different levels depending upon time of day  (user selectable)

as well as time of year (again user selectable) and possibly be tied into live weather i.e. weather delays

would cause larger crowds etc.

4) I'm thinking that the app would be somewhat automated (maybe an elementary AI product) to simplify user required input.

In other words, you might specify a    region (say mouse selectable) and time and season, % of say business travelers, families ,

airport/airline staff  etc. within the selected area and the app would then build a automated  but unique population on that basis. 

To keep things interesting, the next time you decided to run the application it would randomly change . 

This would ensure a uniqueness to each run of the application.

5) And to push the envelope a little further, as MS2020 evolves and matures, the populations could become dynamic  rather

than simply static avatars.

Anyhow , just a thought for something a little different building on your thoughts  and wondering what others

may think of the idea.

I guess I view MS2020 not as what we can do today within the constraints of the past, but what we would like to do

in the future.  In other words, not to ask why, but rather why not?

Cheers & all the best to both of you for 2022.

Pete

Edited by renault
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's what I think is a stunning video of what the sim can do today: 

Regardless of what you think about the value of airport interiors, in fairness, this is amazing stuff.

Mods: I hope it's OK to post this as Aerosoft is a partner and I hope this will become available in due course here.

Edited by Gulfstreamtwo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JohnnyJohnJohn said:

I ask because when you fly at various times of the day, say, around dawn for example, in rainy/foggy/snowy or inclemment weather, I seriously doubt they would still be around at that time, say Pre- 8am or so.

Alex Praglowski definitely would. :D

7 hours ago, BradB said:

Hey mate , can't you just turn down or off your worker density in MSFS settings . Not at my computer right now to check .

Hey John...

Yeah, man, I understand the worker thing, but I'm talking about the static people standing around all over the airfield grounds.  :)  Thanks though! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, renault said:

cc @BradB

Hi J^3

Maybe just to expand upon your idea in a slightly different way:

1) Perhaps Orbx could consider constructing a small application that along with a  proprietary Orbx "People library"

would allow a user to customize any Orbx airport with people/staff both on the tarmac and also inside airport buildings etc.

This would of course require concurrence of that actual developer, but if they were on board, they perhaps could

define appropriate libraries etc. that would be appropriate for the particular airport location and country/region.

2) It could both be fun and allow users of Orbx products to build and enhance airport products in a unique and individual

way if they so desired.

3) In an "ideal world" the app would be able to populate at different levels depending upon time of day  (user selectable)

as well as time of year (again user selectable) and possibly be tied into live weather i.e. weather delays

would cause larger crowds etc.

4) I'm thinking that the app would be somewhat automated (maybe an elementary AI product) to simplify user required input.

In other words, you might specify a    region (say mouse selectable) and time and season, % of say business travelers, families ,

airport/airline staff  etc. within the selected area and the app would then build a automated  but unique population on that basis. 

To keep things interesting, the next time you decided to run the application it would randomly change . 

This would ensure a uniqueness to each run of the application.

5) And to push the envelope a little further, as MS2020 evolves and matures, the populations could become dynamic  rather

than simply static avatars.

Anyhow , just a thought for something a little different building on your thoughts  and wondering what others

may think of the idea.

I guess I view MS2020 not as what we can do today within the constraints of the past, but what we would like to do

in the future.  In other words, not to ask why, but rather why not?

Cheers & all the best to both of you for 2022.

Pete

I like your way of thinking! An app sounds like the way! Like the old Prepa3d control panels. 

This would be nice indeed, as you did it for P3D

People appeared according to time and that was a lot to say for P3D, it was an amazing feature.

Animated avatars would be awesome and with the apparence improved of course.

Maybe you could create a set for snowing, raining, night etc etc.

I'd like to see them also at the jetways, boarding or unboading. If GSX could why can't it be done in MSFS?

Be the first ones doing so, going beyond

Cheers

Carlos

If it's only the time or weather dependency your aiming for, this can be done pretty easily by using Simobjects instead of scenery objects for your people - then you can add a visibility condition to your object, for example only visible between 8 am and 5 pm or only if it's not raining or snowing and only if the wind speed is below 15 knots or whatever. You can also tie several of these conditions together. Many freeware developers already do this, I did it for my own NFTP scenery found on flightsim.to, making ramp agents and passengers disappear at night on an airfield that doesn't have night operations and a static aircraft that's only visible during daytime to simulate it flying back home before night. The only downside is that every person needs to be its own Simobject which makes the xml file pretty large and convoluted when you have multiple objects. 

"Is there a way that we can have a switch to turn people on and people off around the airport buildings that are placed by Orbx Developers,

especially those that are supposed to be traffic spotters and just hanging out at the airport?"
It seems possible, because Christian Bahr a MSFS freeware developer had made such behavior possible for his "living people" in his sceneries.

As far as i know, he had made the visibility of his scenery objects, depend from time and weather.

There is no switch needed, the objects appear and disappear automatically.

Cheers

Ulrich

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, John Heaton said:

__and here's me - thinking  -are we talking about a FLIGHT simulator ??:rolleyes:

Hi John

For me personally, it is all about enhancing the flight simulation experience .  

Very much as you have described in two of your recent posts.

Of course , everyone's perspective is different which is wonderful, however when

I look at Ms2020 I view it not what it is today, but what it has the potential to become.

We all are creative and it seemed to me that this is an opportunity to suggest a unique perspective

for our good friends at Orbx, much as Aerosoft is demonstrating with the Brussels Beta that would allow them

to enhance their products. 

In other words, airports are not just where the aircraft are but can also become unique , creative

and immersive destinations as part of the overall MS2020 experience.

One could look at it as  not about the state of the art as it exists today,  but rather all about the art of the possible

And of course if this is not one's particular "Cup of tea" there are other alternative products where the emphasis is 

very much on the aircraft, the characteristics of the handling and  the actual flying experience, rather than the total

perspective as I was describing.

We are truly fortunate to have such a variety of choice available to us depending on what our interests are.

So from my personal perspective, my answer to an alternative  question is what does this have to do 

with flight simulation is Everything

Cheers & best wishes for a Happy and Prosperous 2022:)

Pete

Edited by renault
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, renault said:

Hi John

For me personally, it is all about enhancing the flight simulation experience .  

Very much as you have described in two of your recent posts.

Of course , everyone's perspective is different which is wonderful, however when

I look at Ms2020 I view it not what it is today, but what it has the potential to become.

We all are creative and it seemed to me that this is an opportunity to suggest a unique perspective

for our good friends at Orbx, much as Aerosoft is demonstrating with the Brussels Beta that would allow them

to enhance their products. 

In other words, airports are not just where the aircraft are but can also become unique , creative

and immersive destinations as part of the overall MS2020 experience.

One could look at it as  not about the state of the art as it exists today,  but rather all about the art of the possible

And of course if this is not one's particular "Cup of tea" there are other alternative products where the emphasis is 

very much on the aircraft, the characteristics of the handling and  the actual flying experience, rather than the total

perspective as I was describing.

We are truly fortunate to have such a variety of choice available to us depending on what our interests are.

So from my personal perspective, my answer to an alternative  question is what does this have to do 

with flight simulation is Everything

Cheers & best wishes for a Happy and Prosperous 2022:)

Pete

Pete - G'day - I apologise if my remark appear to be snide - it was a joke that obviously bottomed 

I suppose - to me anyway - flight simming appears to have evolved  into 3 segments - the actual flight -

somewhere accurately to take off and land - that contains accurate dimensionally accurate surroundings and equipment  -

and now - due to 360 effects introduced by the show camera in MSFS - airport interiors that now is suggested

to be - populated and "Mobile"

I agree with just about everything you said in reply - and it is obvious - to me anyway - that we both 

think about what might be quoted as "Outside the Box!" - as past contributions on here have shown - especially resolution 

The only difference I have - is that in this case the Box might just be Flight Simulation - and what the OP - and you - 

discussed - is outside it.

As regards the subject matter being "State of The Art" - this very subject of movements away from the 2 D World into 3D 

has been part of my hobby life for the past 25 years -when HD became available in video cameras by Sony and Panasonic

(I still have mine) These enabled me to take single frames and splice them together to create a panorama that was 360 degrees 

then used this panorama to create a visual 3 D effect of movement within within the fixed centre - which evolved into walk arounds 

almost identical to the subject matter

In the middle 90s I created my first walkaround a house which subsequently led to a money making hobby from Real Estate offices

in addition to creating Panoramic pictures of many places - whilst at the same time as creating many DVD from old 8mm family films

and moving into wide body printing to produce -and sell - the panoramas

I give you this information - Pete - to show that we are some 95 % on the same page - and the picture - taken around 2000 shows

clearly all of the above in my garage "studio"

To add to the above since 2006 I have I have produced some 400 Digital Art paintings - printing many - as well as some 100 paintings

in Acrylics 

Pete ---- we are on the same page - which has developed from a simple flight experience in 2 D - for wannabe pilots

to be now an almost Flight Simulating Experience - to include the passenger ;)

0002.JPG

11 hours ago, John Heaton said:

Pete - G'day - I apologise if my remark appear to be snide - it was a joke that obviously bottomed 

I suppose - to me anyway - flight simming appears to have evolved  into 3 segments - the actual flight -

somewhere accurately to take off and land - that contains accurate dimensionally accurate surroundings and equipment  -

and now - due to 360 effects introduced by the show camera in MSFS - airport interiors that now is suggested

to be - populated and "Mobile"

I agree with just about everything you said in reply - and it is obvious - to me anyway - that we both 

think about what might be quoted as "Outside the Box!" - as past contributions on here have shown - especially resolution 

The only difference I have - is that in this case the Box might just be Flight Simulation - and what the OP - and you - 

discussed - is outside it.

As regards the subject matter being "State of The Art" - this very subject of movements away from the 2 D World into 3D 

has been part of my hobby life for the past 25 years -when HD became available in video cameras by Sony and Panasonic

(I still have mine) These enabled me to take single frames and splice them together to create a panorama that was 360 degrees 

then used this panorama to create a visual 3 D effect of movement within within the fixed centre - which evolved into walk arounds 

almost identical to the subject matter

In the middle 90s I created my first walkaround a house which subsequently led to a money making hobby from Real Estate offices

in addition to creating Panoramic pictures of many places - whilst at the same time as creating many DVD from old 8mm family films

and moving into wide body printing to produce -and sell - the panoramas

I give you this information - Pete - to show that we are some 95 % on the same page - and the picture - taken around 2000 shows

clearly all of the above in my garage "studio"

To add to the above since 2006 I have I have produced some 400 Digital Art paintings - printing many - as well as some 100 paintings

in Acrylics 

Pete ---- we are on the same page - which has developed from a simple flight experience in 2 D - for wannabe pilots

to be now an almost Flight Simulating Experience - to include the passenger ;)

0002.JPG

Hi John:)

Thank you so much for the clarification!

Sometimes a "tongue in cheek" comment doesn't translate well in a forum - even when it was meant with the best of intentions.

And indeed Sir, we are very much on the same page. I do agree with you that the OP and myself are commenting beyond the classic sim genre. 

However that was the rational behind my thought process regarding a separate application that would act as an adjunct product to allow 

customization as incorporating this as a permanent feature might not be to everyone's taste.

As you so clearly have indicated, imagination and creativity exist with us all and how/when we might like to enhance the sim experience

as I have described is very much an individual decision. For me, MS2020 is a platform that can evolve beyond what we have seen historically in 

all previous products. 

It requires imagination and creativity to see where it might lead - I think we have a very bright and interesting future ahead of us. 

And that above all else is the reason for my suggestions.  Without constructive and respectful dialogue I believe we will miss potential 

opportunities - perhaps even very "offbeat ideas"  can lead to something of great value.  As a society we are capable of contributing in 

many unique and individual ways. 

New ideas are very fragile .  They can be "killed off" very easily , but they can also through collective dialogue be grown and nurtured into concepts 

that developers can embrace and work with 

BTW - your "garage" is not a home hobbyist activity. My goodness , you were into digital art big time !!!

I remember you commenting to me previously about your investigations into 3D, but I had no idea how far you had taken the idea at the time.:)

Cheers John and thank you so much for taking the time to respond in such an informed and thoughtful fashion

All the best

Pete

• Thanks 1