Support mission

Stillwater

Natural catastrophes hit Haiti too often, so the supply of helping goods is most welcome. The shortest way is from Guantanamo NAS. (I am sure our fellows from the US will immediately notice the incorrectness in this picture.)

5wgVdTf.jpg

Leaving Cuba eastboud, ...

qg3Y2ye.jpg

... with just a short hop over the carribean sea.

5hjE6yO.jpg

Shortly after we reach Haiti.

HBzNoVP.jpg

Circling down into the haze...

UcQndxM.jpg

... over Port-au-Prince.

GGEhYHM.jpg

Getting down the gear. I doubt there are cruise ships in Haiti these days. But at least a runway should be there, as indicated in the background.

LgAT9cO.jpg

• Like 9

Nice story Gerold and very cool pictures

I also got that plane... despite it is a warplane and I'm not into that type of plane, it has something... it's  imponet.... and when I see it always ask myself.. will it take off? Looks so heavy!

• Haha 1

Nice story and screenshots Gerold. The C-17 is such a super capable and flexible aircraft. That thing can land and takeoff on super short dirt runways as well as conventional ones. The interior can be modified in so many interesting ways based on the cargo or personnel it is carrying. And the tech used in that bird...state of the art. I am a big fan if you can't tell :D

Landon

• Like 2

One of the things I used to do when there was a natural catastrophe like an earthquake in Haiti is fly in to the location in a DC-3 or some other transport, heavily loaded, and when I landed I would make a contribution to the Red Cross.  For effect I sometimes would cut autogen back to near zero.  I had gotten away from that, but this is a good opportunity to do that sort of thing again for Haiti.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, carlosqr said:

Nice story Gerold and very cool pictures

I also got that plane... despite it is a warplane and I'm not into that type of plane, it has something... it's  imponet.... and when I see it always ask myself.. will it take off? Looks so heavy!

Thank you Carlos. When you "enter" the virtual cockpit, this Boeing loooks more like a 747, not too much appeal of a warbird. And when fully loaded, it also behaves like a 747 on the ground and during takeoff...

22 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Fine shots Gerold.

cheers

Iain

Thank you Iain!

20 hours ago, boetie said:

Nice little set Gerold, that aircraft always amazes me!

Cheers

Graeme :)

Thanks Graeme. The C-17 looks & lands outstanding!

19 hours ago, TerribleT said:

Thumbs up for that lot mate!

Thank you for the support, TT!

16 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Excellent shots Gerold.  A couple of places I have never visited in the flight sim world.

You are right John, we visit the Caribbean not often enough. You can be sure I´ll continue my virtual travel a bit in the region.

13 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Nice story and screenshots Gerold. The C-17 is such a super capable and flexible aircraft. That thing can land and takeoff on super short dirt runways as well as conventional ones. The interior can be modified in so many interesting ways based on the cargo or personnel it is carrying. And the tech used in that bird...state of the art. I am a big fan if you can't tell :D

Landon

I can only second your words from my sim & theoretical perspective. You need to get stuff in and out of delicate places (take Afghanistan, for a recent example), and the C-17 is the tool for it. You can also call this bird "good PR for its home countries". 

I have used it to fly long distances into suspicious Sahara strips, or to remote arctic airfields in Canada or Alaska.

13 hours ago, BradB said:

A good intentions mission Gerold , Haiti needs plenty more right now . :):(

Thank you John. Some poor places we easily forget after they quickly disappear from the headlines.

12 hours ago, Bullfox said:

One of the things I used to do when there was a natural catastrophe like an earthquake in Haiti is fly in to the location in a DC-3 or some other transport, heavily loaded, and when I landed I would make a contribution to the Red Cross.  For effect I sometimes would cut autogen back to near zero.  I had gotten away from that, but this is a good opportunity to do that sort of thing again for Haiti.   

+1, Bullfox. Reducing the autogen is a creative idea - I have never though of that! And a DC-3 is also well suited for this sort of missions.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/10/2021 at 4:12 AM, adambar said:

Great shots of the C-17 Gerold. :) 

Thank you Adam!

14 hours ago, jean marc said:

nice trip Gerold...maybe a stop on a beautiful beach with warm water, not hungry sharks and palm trees ... to rest a few days before another humanitaire flight :-) you deserve it :)

Merci Jean Marc. Your suggestions sound nice... but what I read from Haiti does not sound like there would be a chance to enjoy the beautiful nature on that country. There must be reasons why so many people thy to escape from there.