This Week's Meaningless Topic (#23) (Feb 13)

Hi all. This week, we will draw on our extensive life experiences to highlight a particular kind of memorable moment.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC: In all your working life, what was the worst smell you encountered? (For me, it was a thousand sick chickens crapping pure ammonia. Another fellow and I were given two shovels and two wheelbarrows and assigned the duty of cleaning the shed floor beneath the birds.)

I can certainly identify with Rodger and the chickens, though we never had more than a couple of dozen at the farm at the living history museum.  There were also, of course, the horse and cattle stalls.  They got pretty ripe too.  And also the pig pen.  But all typical farmy odors, nothing to get upset about.  It was the human element; just to the north of our bucolic 19th century village was a very 20th century land fill.  When the wind was light from the north the stench was over whelming.  That is the worst I can associate with work.  But worse than that was one encountered on vacation.  Years ago my mother and I took a trip to Colonial Williamsburg.  We stayed in a hotel outside of Richmond, which just happened to be next to a tobacco processing plant.  What a stink!!!

Ken

Wife just reminded me.  Many years ago (in the 1990s) I came home from work and walked into the house.  Wife says, holding her nose, "oh, you were on the farm today".     "No, I wasn't. Why?" "I smell horse manure.  On your boots?"  "No, I was in the hat shop.  Never near the farm today". " Well, I smell horse.  Wonder why? "  

Well we figured out the reason.   For the previous several years this area (Long Island, NY) had a horrible gypsy moth ( and I don't mean the airplane) infestation.  Then we learned that that year they were infected with a fungal disease.  There were thousands of them, all sick, and leaving foul smelling droppings, which covered our driveway.  And yes, it smelled like horse manure.

That´s a question where I can not decide. Two options cause pain to me:

• In the first semester of my chemistry studies the lab course was wet inorganic analytics in the 1800s style. Everyone was using Hydrogen sulfide and/or ammonia sulfide the entire day. That smell was awful and easy to remember.
  • On my first audit tour to China we came to a chemical plant in southern Zhejiang. My chinese guide kept me back from entering the plant building, but inspecting the waste water treatment plant, warehouses and lab were already enough. Back in Germany I took my suit to wet cleaning, kept it outside the house for weeks but had to throw it in the garbage bin, just like my shoes - the strong chemical smell just would not go.

Archived