MSFS UPDATE today..

wain71

I just read on FS Elite that it is a 9GB update.  I am not sure however if this includes the Japan scenery update, as this apparently needs to be downloaded via the MSFS Marketplace separate to the patch.

Edit:  The patch itself is 9GB, then the Japan update can be be downloaded from the marketplace once the patch is applied.

1. and A32NX mod one more time gets screwed. SDK could be finished sooner so FlightSimLabs or Aerosoft could make a separate plane, so We could fly without worries every time there is an update. 

2. Malaga LEMG is here, but why there is no icon on the map, it sees far more traffic than Gibraltar LXGB which has icon. 

I'm at nearly 20GB of the patch, looks like its going to make me download the whole thing again, it did this for me and many others for the last patch too ... sigh.

Once this is done I'll grab the Japan update too, but sure hope I don't need to install the whole sim every time a patch is released, know many don't and get the proper sized patch, but last time and this time progress bar fills up and it just keeps downloading, as mentioned, 20GB now with no signs of stopping.

2 hours ago, wain71 said:

just downloading now, sadly then have to go to work, hope sensitivity sorted......

No mention of controller sensitivity fix in patch notes, we'll see, looks like its making me down everything all over again, like last patch.

My patch (for the standard version) is around 10GB. Got a blue screen CTD just 1.43GB before finishing. At the 2nd attempt  the installer recognized that only 1.43GB are left for downloading but after a minute my system froze and I had to shut down my system. Now I'm hesitating to start a 3rd try. I really don't understand why MS don't seem to get their installers right. :angry:

27 minutes ago, B12 said:

No mention of controller sensitivity fix in patch notes, we'll see, looks like its making me down everything all over again, like last patch.

these are my settings before update, haven't flown after. In DCS I have -30% so -50 in commercial aircrafts seems ok for me. image.thumb.png.13138d774b15b7c818392b29f0a7e37c.png

59 minutes ago, wolfko said:

My patch (for the standard version) is around 10GB. Got a blue screen CTD just 1.43GB before finishing. At the 2nd attempt  the installer recognized that only 1.43GB are left for downloading but after a minute my system froze and I had to shut down my system. Now I'm hesitating to start a 3rd try. I really don't understand why MS don't seem to get their installers right. :angry:

All good now. The third shot did it. :D

Stuck in eternal loop, restarting doesnt seem to help either. Last patch I spent 2 days to install wich should have taken just a few hours. If they dont fix this loop issue with next patch I will shelf this sim for 2 years and go back to xplane. :(

7 minutes ago, wolfko said:

Gibraltar is fat, because it is one of the enhanced airports. That is also why it got the yellow star. I don't see it as a big problem having to zoom in to see the bigger icon and the airport's name. 

I don’t have problem, probbably It will be fixed in an future update. It is rather strange that airport like LEZL with 5M PAX/year is more visible than LEMG with 18M PAX/year. 

3 hours ago, B12 said:

I'm at nearly 20GB of the patch, looks like its going to make me download the whole thing again, it did this for me and many others for the last patch too ... sigh.

Once this is done I'll grab the Japan update too, but sure hope I don't need to install the whole sim every time a patch is released, know many don't and get the proper sized patch, but last time and this time progress bar fills up and it just keeps downloading, as mentioned, 20GB now with no signs of stopping.

Hi

I am sure you are but just thought I would make a suggestion. Ref full install with every update. Are you carrying the updates out at the Microsoft Store? If you are then sorry I have nothing further to suggest, if not give it a try. I’ve also read of some having issues if it’s not in C Drive but I don’t know why?

30 minutes ago, PiotrMKG said:

I don’t have problem, probbably It will be fixed in an future update. It is rather strange that airport like LEZL with 5M PAX/year is more visible than LEMG with 18M PAX/year. 

Piotr, I just wanted to do a flight from LEMG and had to discover that rwy 13/31 is still missing!!! This is very disappointing for me, because the andalusian region is one of my favourite ones in flight simming.

This seems to be a problem with Bing maps on which all the military airports in Spain (worldwide?) are blurred and AFAIK the western part of LEMG is used by the Spanish military forces. I faced the same problem when I once did an Andalusia Ortho4XP scenery. Also on Google Maps the western part of the airport is blurred.

35 minutes ago, paulk said:

Hi

I am sure you are but just thought I would make a suggestion. Ref full install with every update. Are you carrying the updates out at the Microsoft Store? If you are then sorry I have nothing further to suggest, if not give it a try. I’ve also read of some having issues if it’s not in C Drive but I don’t know why?

Hi, Yes, updating from Microsoft store, FS2020 was installed on separate from OS SSD drive, a 2TB SSD I bought especially for FS2020 LOL. My patch download went up to about 71GB download (so not the full thing again) then screen reverted back to proper patch size of 7.9 GB or whatever it was, decompressed some files and was OK, went on to download the Japan module after that no problem.

Version I own is Premium Deluxe Edition.

I'll probably just delete the sim altogether for next patch and start from scratch after making sure I've got my controller set up backed up.

Had a look on MS own forums and at Avsim, other folk were getting this like last patch too, very strange, but there now :)

54 minutes ago, B12 said:

Hi, Yes, updating from Microsoft store, FS2020 was installed on separate from OS SSD drive, a 2TB SSD I bought especially for FS2020 LOL. My patch download went up to about 71GB download (so not the full thing again) then screen reverted back to proper patch size of 7.9 GB or whatever it was, decompressed some files and was OK, went on to download the Japan module after that no problem.

Version I own is Premium Deluxe Edition.

I'll probably just delete the sim altogether for next patch and start from scratch after making sure I've got my controller set up backed up.

Had a look on MS own forums and at Avsim, other folk were getting this like last patch too, very strange, but there now :)

On strange things with FS, Microsoft in it’s infinite wisdom ;)  made a strange decision that FS has to be installed on drive with 4kb cluster size. I had to uninstall DCS (with almost all addons available) reformat drive to 4kb cluster (I had set up D: with 16kb) and then install it one more time, to this day I haven’t been able to install MSFS Digital ownership because it wants to be on drive C: which has 8kb cluster size instead of 4kb. I will reformat C: drive when AMD Zen3 comes out until then I won’t have FS fully installed. Those who have bought 10xDVD version from Aerosoft have to have DVD 1 in the drive while playing FS 

6 hours ago, wolfko said:

Yep. I agree. For all the years they have been developing software, you'd think getting it right would be a breeze

Hello,

one possible reason for a PC crash is that unless the MSFS frame rate is limited, while it is

busy downloading and installing its update, it makes the PC work very hard.

Anyone whose PC has an underlying problem, insufficient cooling being the most likely,

may find that it does indeed get too hot and close itself down or blue screen.

Limiting the frame rate appears to mitigate this and if this is the cause, would go a long

way towards explaining why the problem affects some and not others.

Hello,

while I cannot speak for Asobo, it is clear that not all reported anomalies are being

fixed as quickly as some of their customers are demanding.

This does not reflect a shortcoming and issues do appear to be being addressed

as quickly as possible.

If you have reported your reservations to the Zendesk and received a reply, then your

problem is receiving attention.

If you have not, then perhaps you should.

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

one possible reason for a PC crash is that unless the MSFS frame rate is limited, while it is

busy downloading and installing its update, it makes the PC work very hard.

Anyone whose PC has an underlying problem, insufficient cooling being the most likely,

may find that it does indeed get too hot and close itself down or blue screen.

Limiting the frame rate appears to mitigate this and if this is the cause, would go a long

way towards explaining why the problem affects some and not others.

How can I limit the frame rate of a download and an install? I didn't even know that downloads and installs have frame rates.???

1 hour ago, SGunard said:

I don't get it either! :unsure:

I think its a peculiar thing with MS2020 ... a bug of sorts?, no way should a program be stressing your hardware the way it does actually running the program when downloading it, but that's what MS2020 seems to do!

OK here that way, very good water cooling for the CPU, good case cooling, live in a colder climate with summer at end, so its never crashed while downloading original program or with patches, was on Alpha/Beta, it did it then too.

No other high end game does this when downloading that I'm aware of ... not bashing Asobo or Microsoft really, but it is quite peculiar and strange, that and the problems I've had (others too) of downloading far more than patch version size before program seems to realise *Oh wait a minute, he only needs the 8.9 GB patch, not the full download* :) and at about 71 GB ( same as last patch) stops and reverts to original size patch screen, decompresses and its fine ... stable too ... just never seen anything like it, no rhyme or reason to it ?

These issues have been bought up, hopefully they will be fixed soon.

Would love to see hot fix patches for critical stuff, this has been bought up too, we'll see.

The dust will settle eventually I'm sure, we still have a fantastic Flight Simulator on our hands and this is just the beginning.

PiotrMKG, LOL, yes, but for all MS2020's early faults, this is still something quite special, am happy and patient enough to see it mature into what it can be with a bit more work and help from good folk like Orbx and others.

They are asking for dedicated VR testers to help them now apparently, would also like to see helicopters, gliders, quality missions ... and the list is endless, sim will never be perfect, no sim ever is, but it sure is good to see Microsoft at the top keeping the project going in these strange uncertain times of Corona that seems to impact so much.

1 hour ago, B12 said:

no way should a program be stressing your hardware the way it does actually running the program when downloading it, but that's what MS2020 seems to do

It's not so much the downloading, but remember at the same time, or at certain intervals, MSFS is also unpacking/decompressing downloaded files and then installing them.  I would think this is what is causing load on your PC during installations and updates.  Look at the load on your CPU any time you are copying files or unpacking a zip file on WIndows.

PiotrMKG, kinda off topic, but copied your sensitivities for X and Y axis from your screen shot, seems to work fine here for my sticks, what do you use for rudder axis? used a similar curve with a bit more dead zone .. use the TM TPR's with a home made damper mod that really needs a 3 or 5 % null zone, brake pedals I keep stock, no curves. TM Warthog throttle I keep stock too.

Sorry if this is off topic.

3 minutes ago, Scott Harmes said:

It's not so much the downloading, but remember at the same time, or at certain intervals, MSFS is also unpacking/decompressing downloaded files and then installing them.  I would think this is what is causing load on your PC during installations and updates.  Look at the load on your CPU any time you are copying files or unpacking a zip file on WIndows.

Hi Scott, good points yes, but other installers for different programs do this without too much CPU stress, also people are reporting their GPU getting a good workout during the download and file decompressing process and sometimes with some folks cooling being less than robust, crashes happen ... its definitely odd? ... shrugs.

Perhaps too and because of the large downloads for patches or a new install needed for the size of FS2020, people go on to do other stuff in back ground, perhaps even play another sim or game ... that would stress a CPU and GPU to the max ... just guessing here?

Its not happened with me, crashes during downloads, but generally leave the PC alone and work on another or my laptop while my FS rig does download work like that.

28 minutes ago, B12 said:

PiotrMKG, kinda off topic, but copied your sensitivities for X and Y axis from your screen shot, seems to work fine here for my sticks, what do you use for rudder axis? used a similar curve with a bit more dead zone .. use the TM TPR's with a home made damper mod that really needs a 3 or 5 % null zone, brake pedals I keep stock, no curves. TM Warthog throttle I keep stock too.

Sorry if this is off topic.

I use MFG Crosswind v2, sensitivity set -30% and 6% deadzone, in DCS I have it set to linear with the same deadzone.

4 hours ago, PiotrMKG said:

I use MFG Crosswind v2, sensitivity set -30% and 6% deadzone, in DCS I have it set to linear with the same deadzone.

Thanks PiotrMKG, different pedals entirely, but I'll try your -30%, was at -50%, way too flighty ... used to own those MFG Crosswinds V2 pedals too :)

Just back from DCS trials as well for the new DCS A-10 Warthog II module ... what great times we all live in :)

Thanks.

Archived