Tongariro Crossing

Stillwater

The Tongariro Alpine Crossing is among the most popular day hikes in the country https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongariro_Alpine_Crossing . The full distance of the track is usually 19.4 km (12.1 mi). We´ll take the lazy way, and use a Cessna instead of our feet. Getting ready at Taumarunui, ...

n3Y8hYK.jpg

... with really a typical OZx feeling here.

a8FiWNW.jpg

Trees like these - I like that impression.

Quc7NYn.jpg

Flying over Taumarunui village, ...

YFHxESZ.jpg

... and towards Mt. Ruapehu. 

CgrJtcT.jpg

The settlement below consists of the majority of hotels, hostels and B&Bs that host the trekking tourists.

7e50oj6.jpg

Mt. Ngauruhoe ahead.

T7yTR2j.jpg

Do you see the road circle left of the lava stream? That is Mangatepopo carpark, the official entry point of the hike.

rcIVfop.jpg

The steepest climb on the track is Devils Staircase, leading up the saddle below.

upVIIUZ.jpg

Walkers would pass Mt. Doom, you can see the path in the left.

9wIyV10.jpg

After passing the Red Crater summit, the Emerald Lakes await.

Znz69D6.jpg

And then it goes down. Steep down.

YXHXAe1.jpg

A look back to Mordor.

Dqw856Z.jpg

You see the road end below? That is Ketetahi Carpark, the official exit point of the track, where you can grab a bus. If you are not too late...

dJlwllM.jpg

I just went down to nearby Turangi airstrip. Which has an interesting advertisement.

gU894on.jpg

3 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Very nice shots.

cheers

Iain

Thank you Iain!

4 hours ago, adambar said:

Grand set of shots. :)

Thanks Adam.

11 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Great flight Gerold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Enjoyed it and the pictures.

I see the enjoyment from your comment. Thanks John!

11 hours ago, TerribleT said:

Ripper set M8 B) Didn't know any of that activity!  One of my favourite aeroplanes too! Thank you.

No too far from you, mate. Although in current times unreachable...

7 hours ago, BradB said:

Awesome shots Gerold !! .

Thank you John!

10 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Very nice trip and shotzes Gerold. Great information too. Would love to see that Country some day. Cheers k:)

Oh yes, Karl, I´d love that, too. It may take some more years, but I hope DC-3s are still flying then.

7 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Trekking days are way behind but I like the sound of 'Mt Doom'.  Saw a thing not long ago revealing how large the land, of which NZ is a small above water reminder, really was. 

You remind me, OnD. And these volcanoes are the tip of the tip of the remainders.

6 hours ago, TigerTigerM said:

Great set.

Did the Crossing on foot about 50 years ago.

Across the flat middle section, with the mist down to the ground & the volcanic sand underfoot, you couldn't hear your footsteps.

TTM

What a great experience. One of the unforgettable things on this planet, I suspect. And... tourism 50 years ago was something totally different than 2019. Or 2020.

1 hour ago, Taph said:

Grand set,  Gerold, know exactly where you were

Thank you Taph and - what an amazing shot!

28 minutes ago, Wakashi said:

Well, I thought I was gonna be totally worn out by the end, but since we did it “the lazy way” also known as MY WAY, I made it just fine! B)

Nice to know that things like this still exist for now!  Great post Gerold!

Thanks a lot, Rodger. A pleasure to take you on MY WAY.

Great trip again Gerold ! 

PS ! I camped near the top about 20 years ago ... and we had a terrible tempest ... but we had our very good tent (from Norway ... that we have still and which made a round trip around the world a few years later) stayed ok - just a small lower part of the metallic arch broken but easily repaired with a kit - the only tent ok of the small campsite B) Great souvenir ! ... 

2 hours ago, mikee said:

Fantastic shots Gerold :)

Thank you Mikee!

8 minutes ago, jean marc said:

Great trip again Gerold ! 

PS ! I camped near the top about 20 years ago ... and we had a terrible tempest ... but we had our very good tent (from Norway ... that we have still and which made a round trip around the world a few years later) stayed ok - just a small lower part of the metallic arch broken but easily repaired with a kit - the only tent ok of the small campsite B) Great souvenir ! ... 

Thanks Jean Marc. Seems you have been more than fortunate to do such an exciting trip & accomodation!

Archived