And the winner is ...

Adam Banks

I've been simming since the very beginning ... "Aviator" on the BBC Micro ... then all iterations of MS Flight Sim, plus every other one you can name (on the PC platform). MSFS 2020 gets the Oscar!

On my mid-range (old!!) system, MS 2020 outperforms P3Dv5 and XP11.50 - yet the graphics are w-a-y better ... by a *long* way. Not entirely without its niggles, but then no sim ever released was perfect on day one. MSFS 2020 is oozing with potential. IMHO, it's *the* way forward.

Here we are at the airport I grew up near (though it was called Yeadon back then):

leeds-01-1350.jpg?dl=1

Just playing with the (live) time slider:
leeds-02-1350.jpg?dl=1

leeds-03-1350.jpg?dl=1

Back to daytime to view the sloping/undulating runway:
leeds-04-1350.jpg?dl=1

Nothing wrong with the greenery! That's down-town Leeds in the background:

leeds-05-1350.jpg?dl=1

leeds-06-1350.jpg?dl=1

leeds-07-1350.jpg?dl=1

leeds-08-1350.jpg?dl=1

Oh ... so much more to explore!!! But Leeds/Bradford is the only scenery I'm able to show here for the moment :(

Adam.

Yep..it's the Goliath stone...agree! And only going to get better!  Adam...I asking 'cause I can't find any keystroke?  What are you doing to get screenshots? What's your method? Thanks Great pics!  I only have KORS and KTIW to show, as well.  Unless they relax the Orbx in view rule.My view, is that if the Company has and will be offering items FOR a simulator...any shot within it, only promotes that platform...to entice others to adopt.  My way of thinking on it...but I don't host the forum.  Their forum, their rules...law of the Jungle.

22 minutes ago, Orbx Flyer said:

Yep..it's the Goliath stone...agree! And only going to get better!  Adam...I asking 'cause I can't find any keystroke?  What are you doing to get screenshots? What's your method?

It's Win+PrtScrn. They go into User/Pictures/Screenshots (in PNG format). I mapped a button on my X52 Pro to it, as the two keys are at opposite ends of the keyboard.

I respect the Orbx stance on screenshots - fully understandable, IMHO - as we might end up seeing pics from other developers (competitors).

Adam.

EDIT: I have to add that running a high-volume website isn't cheap. Why spend money from our Orbx purchases on advertising other peoples' products?

1 hour ago, Adam Banks said:

It's Win+PrtScrn. They go into User/Pictures/Screenshots (in PNG format). I mapped a button on my X52 Pro to it, as the two keys are at opposite ends of the keyboard.

I respect the Orbx stance on screenshots - fully understandable, IMHO - as we might end up seeing pics from other developers (competitors).

Adam.

EDIT: I have to add that running a high-volume website isn't cheap. Why spend money from our Orbx purchases on advertising other peoples' products?

Thanks for that, Adam...much appreciated.  Will look into that, as well as nVidia GForce's ability to auto-create/capture.  What a pain in the butt I have been only pressing PrtScrn and then running to load up a picture editor to memory insert and save...so now, let the games begin!  Again..great grabs...this sim is going to produce many Cicil B Demilles, lol!

Just tried that combo...works great!  Thanks again!

Mitch

6 hours ago, Phil May said:

awesome shots... how do i change my reg of the aircraft??

It's in the ATC sub-panel as you set up the aircraft before pressing "Fly now".

9 hours ago, TigerTigerM said:

Where do you find the 'live' time slider??

BTW, you may know this tip, but in External view [not Drone view], press & hold right mouse key down, move mouse to move External camera freely.

It's in the "Weather" section in the on-screen menu pop-up bar. Yes - thanks - though setting up all the various camera views for the joystick is a bit of an ordeal. I got there in the end, I think! I much prefer the "Showcase" (Drone) view but I wish it didn't freeze the sim.

Adam.

Great shots, Adam !  ..... and no 'tweaking' required.

BTW,  I'm trying to wrap my head around this MSFS scenery protocol - live streaming vs cached scenery and how exactly would it work with Orbx addons ?  In your pics above, is everything shown just Orbx ? or is the Orbx scenery surrounded by default MSFS scenery ? Is any of this scenery streamed or cached ?  Haven't heard much about using MSFS cached scenery and beginning to feel like the 'streamed scenery' may be a stumbling block for users with low bandwidth. Perhaps we can fly in MSFS without streaming and only using Orbx addons one day.

1 hour ago, MZee1960 said:

Great shots, Adam !  ..... and no 'tweaking' required.

BTW,  I'm trying to wrap my head around this MSFS scenery protocol - live streaming vs cached scenery and how exactly would it work with Orbx addons ?  In your pics above, is everything shown just Orbx ? or is the Orbx scenery surrounded by default MSFS scenery ? Is any of this scenery streamed or cached ?  Haven't heard much about using MSFS cached scenery and beginning to feel like the 'streamed scenery' may be a stumbling block for users with low bandwidth. Perhaps we can fly in MSFS without streaming and only using Orbx addons one day.

It's going to be really hard to break the habit of a lifetime. I'll bet I can find *something* to tweak, Shirley? :lol:

To tell you the truth - at this stage, I've no idea how the scenery arrives and is displayed on my system. As regards the pics above, I wanted to be careful to restrict them to Orbx scenery - but there's no easy way of telling (without referring to the PDF) where the boundaries are. That, of course, is how it should be!

1 hour ago, Adam Banks said:

It's going to be really hard to break the habit of a lifetime. I'll bet I can find *something* to tweak, Shirley? :lol:

I think the MSFS team were thinking of you when they added all the 'slider controls' for the various visual parameters in the sim.

1 hour ago, Jocko Flocko said:

:o:o Holy @#$@. I am not at all unhappy that I saved so much money to build a new machine during this virus. Amazing shots Adam, the atmosphere looks incredible. Can't wait to take off from some bush strips that are really sloped! 

All of our new computer 'rocketships' will nonetheless be at the mercy of bandwidth which adds more costs for those who wish to stream everything in all it's glory. 

Some great shots of this new Orbx Leeds scenery in the new sim Adam. I am loving this new sim as well...so many great things about it. Probably top on my list is that I don't have to have any other apps like weather, or a shader app etc. Everything is just there and looks great. Sure, improvements can be made, and I am sure they will, but I must agree with you that this new sim platform is huge winner. Looks so great and performs SO SO well :) 

Thanks! I agree about the add-ons. None of my shots depict any decent clouds, but I've seen some absolute stunners around. So that's at least one add-on I don't think I'll be needing. I'm a great fan of Chaseplane (and XCamera for XP) but I don't think I'll need anything like that either. The cameras in MS are weird - and hard to get set up initially, but I can see that they have most of the functions I currently have with the add-ons ... all except rotate the whole screen - which only Chaseplane does (XCamera doesn't). I sometimes klike to use that to straighten a horizon or just get a nicer angle - in-sim - rather than mess with it in an image editor.

Adam.

4 hours ago, Jocko Flocko said:

:o:o Holy @#$@. I am not at all unhappy that I saved so much money to build a new machine during this virus. Amazing shots Adam, the atmosphere looks incredible. Can't wait to take off from some bush strips that are really sloped! 

Try Courchevel then!!!

As to bandwidth - I think the whole Internet now has become so resource-hungry that you'll need unlimited, fast connections just to browse. I've been around since Fidonet (pre-Internet) and remember the acrimonious debates about whether any images were to be allowed to HTML as it was then.

Without derailing my own topic, I think coders (of all flavours) have got lazy and simply don't optimise their code enough - relying on Cray level PCs and mega fast fibre connectivity to get them out of trouble. "Aviator" "Elite" and "Revs" ... back in the old BBC Micro days got incredible results in just 32k.

Adam.

Fantastic shots.. I love the adjustments you can make literally on the fly... I been flying it for a few weeks now and every time I use I am still amazed.. Certainly is a great platform for developers that are serious about quality.. 

Archived