P3D 5.HS1 and W10 v2004--->Olympic Gold Medal!

Orbx Flyer

Since the days of WXP, Vista, 7, first W10-(RTM-v1809)  I have had always, (as most have and still do...)  either constant fights to get clear visuals, no visual degradation over the course of FSX/P3D (anything) running, let alone CTD's...the all of it.  

No matter WHAT version of Windows, from XP to W10...and any version of FSX and/or P3D, there has always been SOME kind of visual degradation...leading to the quest for new graphics card series, (I'm sure that will fix all....NADA!)  newest drivers...(('m sure that that will fix it...NADA)....latest version of FSX or P3D (THAT will certainly fix all and everything....NADA!)

It is what is, and was....well...was, until I updated to W10 Pro v2004 three days ago.   Same P3D v5.x (HF1)  same settings (untouched between W10 v1809, and prior W10 versions...)

Keeping it plain simply and to the point...since installing the latest version of W10 Pro v2004,  ALL....ALL>>>ALL, my 'ever' problematic visuals of FSX and P3D have simply, and completely disappeared from mention.  Blurry terrain, or starting with crisp, but eventually blurring out...FPS that are up and down like a you-know-what-seat,   problems with clouds...problems with clouds their popping textures, undertones, problems in the cockpit...blurry or persnickety hot spots...,  even CTD's...   all my ever-there by some degree,  visual or flight sim feature running 'chronic over many years and flight sim updates/ O.S. updates....chronic ever there problems...are gone.  Gone With the Wind...

I have never seen such visual beauty and depth of field, clarity of textures...everything that comprises the scene rendered to the screen, as before my flight sim(s),  now running inside W10 Pro v2004.

I have flown for four hours over three states boundaries on the Orbx West Coast....and not ONCE...did I ever see anything less than roads, straight and true, no zags...no terrain blurries, mountains with simply wonderful clear 'stone and rock' depictions.  Clouds...that NOT ONCE, ever flashed their textures...etc...etc...

The bottom line for this computer user..is now the full realization that unless the O.S. you are asking your flight sim to run WITHIN its coding...is optimized...to deliver whatever program is asked to run,  you will NEVER get rid of chronic dysfunction...never.   You can buy that monster GPU, that monster CPU,  that new version of your favorite flight sim...but unless the most lowest level, basic coding of the O.S. all that interacts with...is truly written for the 'nines'...and finally optimized,   you will always have the same visual problems, and or feature running problems...because THE BUCK STOPS AT THE SYSTEM FILES OF THE INSTALLED O.S!!!!

I have never seen such PERFECT visual performance from ANY of my years of flight simming,  from any flight sim title...from any version of them, or any PRIOR to this release version of ANY Microsoft Operating system....Windows 3, XP, Vista, W7, and then any W10 prior to v2004....

If nothing else, having installed a FANTASTIC version of the W10 franchise three days ago,  has shown me....that after all these years...after all the effort, after all the COSTS...hardware, motherboard, GPU, CPU....all of it...it was seeing a truly optimized OPERATING SYSTEM VERSION, that was the ONE THING...after all that...the ONE THING, that has FINALLY, after all these years...rendered such a flight experience...such fantastic and clear visuals...running on P3D 5.HF1 FULLY OPENED UP...(except for not running TrueSky at present)....how absolutely IMPORTANT, is the Operating System and version of it...that truly...truly...runs the show...everything else, rests behind its coding... Now, every time...I run P3D or FSX...I get the same premium visual performance, always...each flight. Each use.

The best thing in 20 and more years in this hobby of flight simming, was Microsoft building and releasing their current, new, latest version Windows 10 v2004!   This version...truly is the ring, that rules THEM ALL!

P3D (whatever) and FSX,  AE2  absolutely SHINE.....now, I can see 'why' I wanted to buy the latest version of P3D!  Now...I can...'see'....:)

Cheers,

Windows W10 Pro v2004 driving nVidia Driver Suite 442.59   Just sheer flight simulation bliss!

2020-6-3-17-21-55-51.jpg

2020-6-3-17-23-49-244.jpg

2020-6-3-17-24-24-811.jpg

2020-6-3-17-26-39-363.jpg

2020-6-3-17-28-42-454.jpg

2020-6-3-17-38-8-755.jpg

2020-6-3-17-50-6-180.jpg

2020-6-3-17-56-44-339.jpg

2020-6-3-17-59-59-32.jpg

2020-6-3-18-26-43-665.jpg

2020-6-3-18-29-6-274.jpg

2020-6-3-18-44-1-991.jpg

2020-6-3-19-0-47-10.jpg

To Orbx flyer

Very interesting comments - and without knowing your base computer - I doubt that it would apply to my mid range - 

so I stay with V4 - and MS haven't offered me 2004 yet - maybe that's why ??

However - I took your advice and downloaded the latest driver - but have had this problem with NV Experience before

How can I get it to recognise  P3D on its own disc - and optimise - and similarly Xplane on another drive ??

Maybe not recognized as "Games" ??

It recognises Steam games on the latter 

Thanks for the interesting report  which seems to be in line with orthers I read.

Unfortunately, I am told my device isn't ready yet for 2004. 2004 will be shown as available when it will be ready. Thus, I expect some clever MS engineer to appear on my door to make my device 2004-ready soon.:lol:

Anyone else waiting for the MS engineer?

Kind regards, Michael

2 hours ago, John Heaton said:

To Orbx flyer

Very interesting comments - and without knowing your base computer - I doubt that it would apply to my mid range - 

However - I took your advice and downloaded the latest driver - but have had this problem with NV Experience before

How can I get it to recognise  P3D on its own disc - and optimise - and similarly Xplane on another drive ??

39 minutes ago, donbrindles said:

So W10 v 2004 is quite good? Thanks for that detailed analysis - W haven't offered me 2004 yet, but sounds like I should grab it to go with P3D5,

Don.

16 minutes ago, pmb said:

Thanks for the interesting report  which seems to be in line with orthers I read.

Unfortunately, I am told my device isn't ready yet for 2004. 2004 will be shown as available when it will be ready. Thus, I expect some clever MS engineer to appear on my door to make my device 2004-ready soon.:lol:

Anyone else waiting for the MS engineer?

Kind regards, Michael

Hi all,

I've had the same problem, the solution for me was to download the Windows Update Assistant https://support.microsoft.com/de-de/help/3159635/windows-10-update-assistant

This installed Win 10 2004.

Hope this will help you.

3 hours ago, mp1852 said:

Hi all,

I've had the same problem, the solution for me was to download the Windows Update Assistant https://support.microsoft.com/de-de/help/3159635/windows-10-update-assistant

This installed Win 10 2004.

Hope this will help you.

Thank you, this did the trick. The downloaded update even made another compatibility check to find my device to be compatible, so no MS engineer required.

2004 running fine now, I'll check implications for flightsims over the weekend.

Kind regards, Michael

10 hours ago, TigerTigerM said:

Is it a matter of simply installing Win10 v2004 & that's it, or does one need to tweak it somewhere to get the best out of it for Flight Sims?

TTM

Hi, as the O.P., I didn't have to tweak anything. I merely installed v2004 for Windows Pro, and all, seriously, all long-time 'chronic' issues with any of my flight sims, have totally disappeared, like I waved some magic wand, lol.   

Over the years, as most...I have run the race...buying a newer version of a 'more powerful GPU solution'....blah, blah...new motherboard...new CPU...and yet...the same dang problems...blurries come...this comes...that comes...and then,  I install v2004, reboot,  defrag C: drive...fire up P3d 5.HF1...and every dang chronic one-thing-or-another irritant 'visual'...IS GONE!  What???!?!?!?!?!?!  Seriously?!?!?!?

Yep....and ever since then.  For me...on my system...can't speak for everybody's elses...but for my system...I am lovin' it....on my system, I declare v2004 a Gold Medal Winner! :)

No tweaks...no setting changes....DAY and NIGHT....wow...

Cheers,

Have fun...

12 hours ago, pmb said:

Thank you, this did the trick. The downloaded update even made another compatibility check to find my device to be compatible, so no MS engineer required.

2004 running fine now, I'll check implications for flightsims over the weekend.

Kind regards, Michael

Michael, I wish you the same Day and Night with your first post v2004 install flight...good luck! :)

17 hours ago, donbrindles said:

So W10 v 2004 is quite good? Thanks for that detailed analysis - W haven't offered me 2004 yet, but sounds like I should grab it to go with P3D5,

Don.

It was Day and Night...and after I laughed my butt off...all the money I spent (like others....) on GPU upgrades, CPU and motherboard upgrades...the time 'tweaking' this, adjusting that...and what a laugh....on my system, it merely played out...that I needed the company that supplies the Operating System, that everything else interacts with...to be optimized , like obviously Direct X D12, where you now get 1/2 a gig of Video Memory back from the O.s. reserving it.  Who knows what else has been honed and polished, with this release.  For myself...whatever got polished....has 'buffed' out any and all of my years dealing with them...visual flight sim issues.  So...it wasn't to say, the actual flight sim coding...it was the coding running on any prior version of Windows...that brought the issues out.  Why?   W10 RTM-v1809  Same issues...even through new versions of any flight sim.   Installed W10 Pro v2004....ran simulator....issues GONE...hours of flight...issues GONE....

Hmm......it was in some way, over the years...an unfriendly, non-optimized O.S. when running a flight simulator over/within it....

As far as I see this playing out... :)

19 hours ago, John Heaton said:

To Orbx flyer

Hi John...actually,  nVidia Driver Suite v442.59 is not the latest...but one along with it v442.0 brother...that has shown to have no inherent 'issues' that would effect FPS, or any sort of driver or shader cache.  If you update, I suggest that you first try v2004 alongside this driver suite, and work from there.  

4 hours ago, Orbx Flyer said:

Hi John...actually,  nVidia Driver Suite v442.59 is not the latest...but one along with it v442.0 brother...that has shown to have no inherent 'issues' that would effect FPS, or any sort of driver or shader cache.  If you update, I suggest that you first try v2004 alongside this driver suite, and work from there.  

Thanks for that - but sorry mate - it doesn't answer my question

and according to Nvidea - 5 mins ago _ I have the latest driver

6 hours ago, Orbx Flyer said:

Michael, I wish you the same Day and Night with your first post v2004 install flight...good luck! :)

As I said, over the weekend.

Sometimes I think those updates are not so much (or at least not only) useful because of included further developments but rather because they just substitute/reset files or settings which got modified over time by other programs or by us. Basically, you get a Windows re-installation without all the hassle of reinstalling all your programs. Thus, while some hate or even block those updates, I came to like them, even though they sometimes introduce a couple of less wanted innovations. I have to admit I never was really bitten by one of them (...so far).

Kind regards, Michael

4 hours ago, Roger Dodger said:

Interesting thread but, as usual for me, I will tread slowly given some of the issues with the update. I need to read more first but thanks for the heads up.

Roger

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2020/05/28/microsoft-windows-10-2004-may-2020-update-free-windows-10-update/#5069d0063596

Hi Roger...a lot of the initial 'stuff' has to do with some Bluetooth drivers that need to be updated by their publishers. My advice, is to install it...and if you don't like what you see...just roll back. You can within 30 days of install date.  So, in my view,  a win-win...if you get the same outcome as I did...WIN...if you don't, or really want to step back, you can. Win...

Cheers,

Mitch

11 hours ago, pmb said:

As I said, over the weekend.

Sometimes I think those updates are not so much (or at least not only) useful because of included further developments but rather because they just substitute/reset files or settings which got modified over time by other programs or by us. Basically, you get a Windows re-installation without all the hassle of reinstalling all your programs. Thus, while some hate or even block those updates, I came to like them, even though they sometimes introduce a couple of less wanted innovations. I have to admit I never was really bitten by one of them (...so far).

Kind regards, Michael

Same here...with each new version of Windows...totally underwhelming.   Nothing to write home about...until-----> v2004.  Yelling on a mountain top, now...lol!  Good luck!

25 minutes ago, Orbx Flyer said:

Hi Roger...a lot of the initial 'stuff' has to do with some Bluetooth drivers that need to be updated by their publishers. My advice, is to install it...and if you don't like what you see...just roll back. You can within 30 days of install date.  So, in my view,  a win-win...if you get the same outcome as I did...WIN...if you don't, or really want to step back, you can. Win...

Cheers,

Mitch

Thanks for the advice and input :)

Roger

I was sceptical.

I was wrong!

Installed the W10 2004 update last night and have been doing some test flying this afternoon. And for me, P3D v4 was SIGNIFICANTLY better! As related in a post elsewhere, I was having lots of problems with blurries in full fat regions (TE was OK for some reason) and although some tweaks with settings did help it was enough to stop me from flying in those regions until now. However, this afternoon the blurries were completely gone and the sim seemed more 'solid' somehow. Even when frames dropped to 16, it wasn't really noticeable in the same way as before. What a difference!

Was it perfect ? No. There was still a little popping in of textures as I approached certain areas, but nothing like before (and probably normal?). There were also a couple of 2 second pauses for some reason, including loss of sound on one occasion. But I can live with that. This update has transformed P3D for me!

Thanks Orbx Flyer for bringing this to our attention! :):):)

3 hours ago, SGunard said:

I was sceptical.

I was wrong!

Installed the W10 2004 update last night and have been doing some test flying this afternoon. And for me, P3D v4 was SIGNIFICANTLY better! As related in a post elsewhere, I was having lots of problems with blurries in full fat regions (TE was OK for some reason) and although some tweaks with settings did help it was enough to stop me from flying in those regions until now. However, this afternoon the blurries were completely gone and the sim seemed more 'solid' somehow. Even when frames dropped to 16, it wasn't really noticeable in the same way as before. What a difference!

Was it perfect ? No. There was still a little popping in of textures as I approached certain areas, but nothing like before (and probably normal?). There were also a couple of 2 second pauses for some reason, including loss of sound on one occasion. But I can live with that. This update has transformed P3D for me!

Thanks Orbx Flyer for bringing this to our attention! :):):)

I think they 'prepped' W10 to showcase their soon to be released $$$$$$ flight simulator.  It would only make sense, being the same company, but different facets of it.  That would translate as to a better performance for any flight simulator running under W10 v2004.  My thoughts, anyways. :)

Hi

After reading these posts I checked Windows Auto Updates, it allowed my sons laptop to update but said my gaming PC was not yet ready. I think that is because I have a Bluetooth USB Module plugged into it for my Bluetooth headphones. As suggested in earlier posts I decided to force the update on my gaming PC. As reported by others it went very well and I am seeing improvements on all flight sims I use.

As suspected the Bluetooth module is now giving me problems, I have intermittent audio on my headphones. I did a firmware update on the headphones (they are perfect when connected to my iPhone) but still intermittent when connected to the PC. I believe as is reported many Bluetooth devices are having problems at the moment (no updated drivers currently available). 

I am happy to wait for an update but thinking that Bluetooth USB modules are cheap I may as well get a new one. Can I ask if anyone has done the Windows 10 2004 update and is using a compatible Bluetooth USB module perhaps provide me with the model number details of theirs.

Thanks.

8 hours ago, paulk said:

Hi

After reading these posts I checked Windows Auto Updates, it allowed my sons laptop to update but said my gaming PC was not yet ready. I think that is because I have a Bluetooth USB Module plugged into it for my Bluetooth headphones. As suggested in earlier posts I decided to force the update on my gaming PC. As reported by others it went very well and I am seeing improvements on all flight sims I use.

As suspected the Bluetooth module is now giving me problems, I have intermittent audio on my headphones. I did a firmware update on the headphones (they are perfect when connected to my iPhone) but still intermittent when connected to the PC. I believe as is reported many Bluetooth devices are having problems at the moment (no updated drivers currently available). 

I am happy to wait for an update but thinking that Bluetooth USB modules are cheap I may as well get a new one. Can I ask if anyone has done the Windows 10 2004 update and is using a compatible Bluetooth USB module perhaps provide me with the model number details of theirs.

Thanks.

Hi Paulk, glad to see you seeing and enjoying a better flight sim usage as well.  They (Microsoft) are very aware of about 10-12 Bluetooth devices that need their manufacturers to provide a v2004 driver update.  I think that is coming much sooner than later...so if it were me...(and I know you didn't ask this...lol),  I'd hang on and plug your headphones directly into your computer or the spot for headphones on your sound card body...and just wait for that coming compatible Bluetooth driver.  Just a suggestion to save you money, on a Bluetooth headphone that worked on your prior W10 version.  :)   The one great thing at present, is that not like the debut of v1809,  that O.S. version ate files for breakfast...this version is 'tight'...and runs beautifully on my almost 8 year old system...and of course, gives me killer system-wide performance.

I'll admit I was a bit skeptical that Orbx Flyer's fine results would be replicated for Me - not because he didn't see an improvement, but because I have a trusty but cankerous ol' Dell 8900 non-gaming off the shelf runabout that I've wedged a series of GPUs into (a GTX 1070 8GB being the last) - and though my spouse has signed off on a new PC, I refuse to buy one - being a thrifty sort and knowing new GPUs are right around the corner.

In any case, I did the 2004 upgrade and am running P3Dv5 HF1 and those PLUS setting my FPS to "unlimited" then hitting the "V-sync" button in the sim itself seems like they've led to very, very smooth results for me - I'd sworn off P3Dv5 for XP11 but not now - smooth as silk, only the occasional strange flashing - but that silly "rubber banding" is gone.

Autogen trees and buildings set to "medium" and 2048 textures - FPS range between 28 and 35 but very, very smooth - much smoother than when locked to 30 FPS - no idea why.

Good stuff thanks for the heads up Orbx Flyer and maybe (emphasis on the maybe) that combo of unlimited FPS and V-sync might help others who struggle for smoothness.

Steve 

On 6/4/2020 at 2:45 AM, Nick Cooper said:

It could be that the Windows Updates are not up to date?

I successfully used the Windows Media Creation Tool and

then elected to keep my "Files and Apps".

Thanks Nick for the link , I had been waiting for my update to 2004 . It is doing the upgrade as I type . :):)

Cheers

John

• 2 weeks later...

I did the upgrade to v2004 this afternoon and just loaded up P3Dv4.5  So far not so good. My FPS dropped down to 4.2 . I haven't been able to get them back up. It is impossible to fly at 4 FPS. My computer is not a slouch, check my signature. Anyone else having this problem?

On 6/16/2020 at 3:27 AM, TDog said:

I did the upgrade to v2004 this afternoon and just loaded up P3Dv4.5  So far not so good. My FPS dropped down to 4.2 . I haven't been able to get them back up. It is impossible to fly at 4 FPS. My computer is not a slouch, check my signature. Anyone else having this problem?

FWIW, no! Just like Orbx Flyer I installed the update and it made 4.5 much better. No tweakin', no nothun'!

Sorry your experience hasn't been the same! :unsure:

12 hours ago, SGunard said:

FWIW, no! Just like Orbx Flyer I installed the update and it made 4.5 much better. No tweakin', no nothun'!

Sorry your experience hasn't been the same! :unsure:

I got the Update last week on my mid range PC with 4.5 - and have moved all sliders to far right and getting 30Fps constant

whereas - the sliders before were around 80%

On 6/17/2020 at 9:06 PM, John Heaton said:

I got the Update last week on my mid range PC with 4.5 - and have moved all sliders to far right and getting 30Fps constant

whereas - the sliders before were around 80%

Glad to see you one of the pack...this was the best O.S. update, since W3....that you can actually see improvements in what you run on it...

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/7/2020 at 5:03 PM, Orbx Flyer said:

Other users are hoping for those Bluetooth drivers to come ASAP.

Hi

Still no Bluetooth fix or update. (even today's update)

Does anyone have a Bluetooth USB Dongle that is working with Windows 10 2004, if so I would appreciate the details as I would like to purchase a new one. I miss my Bluetooth headset.

1 hour ago, paulk said:

Hi

Still no Bluetooth fix or update. (even today's update)

Does anyone have a Bluetooth USB Dongle that is working with Windows 10 2004, if so I would appreciate the details as I would like to purchase a new one. I miss my Bluetooth headset.

Will it not work at all, Paul?

Archived