Playing the triangle

Now with the correct livery out of Addis Abeba, Ethiopia,...

xqnYnfN.jpg

... and diving into the Rift valley at Nazret.

6IkVwjC.jpg

Yes, we do have compressed rock formations at the borders of the rift ...

5cKufvR.jpg

... and the pilot still needs to manage the altitude. Which is not easy giving the temperature and the high ground level here - the DC-3 always requires management of the engine temperatures.

TywNyNK.jpg

0hyJhyb.jpg

Lake Abbe at the border to Djibouti. It is the center of the Afar triangle and should show extended salt flats, as well as stalactite-like limestone chimneys, forming a surreal landscape https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Abbe .

MyXVJHE.jpg

The lake has no outflow, all water from the nearby rivers evaporates here.

46chpSX.jpg

While the Arab sea is so close...

mgMUjCz.jpg

... and Djibouti city awaits.

koWfyXQ.jpg

Does anybody know if they serve cold beer here?

vlBhYDX.jpg

Hi Gerold

Lucy in the sky with diamonds !

The Rift valley is a fascinating area for us humans , Lucy walked in that region about 3.18 million years ago ,

I believe her skeleton was returned to her home area and is stored at Addis Abeba, Ethiopia .

It would be fascinating to have a time machine that enabled us to visit that time and to see the

world as it was then .

Cheers

Karol

1 hour ago, COBS said:

t would be fascinating to have a time machine that enabled us to visit that time and to see the

world as it was then .

Oh yes sure I would come with you O0 Lucy still able to climb in the trees easily as an ape but also to stay straight and walk ... But unlucky Lucy why died quite young .... :)

2 hours ago, BradB said:

Neat plane and shots Gerold . :):)

Thank you very much, John!

49 minutes ago, adambar said:

Well done once again Gerold. :)

You are welcome, Adam.

3 hours ago, COBS said:

Hi Gerold

Lucy in the sky with diamonds !

The Rift valley is a fascinating area for us humans , Lucy walked in that region about 3.18 million years ago ,

I believe her skeleton was returned to her home area and is stored at Addis Abeba, Ethiopia .

It would be fascinating to have a time machine that enabled us to visit that time and to see the world as it was then .

Cheers

Karol

I see you have learned similar things as I did at school. Flying there is a must for us!

Be aware: There was no beer invented at that time. And no toilet paper - are the folks in Australia also panicking that much about it these days?

1 hour ago, jean marc said:

Great trip Gerold .... Maybe no beer but camel's milk will be available O0

Go East to look the lava lake of Erta Ale... If I right remember it is the only active one in the world excepted the other one of Erebus in Antarctica ... Great video by this link :

Erta Ale amazing active lava lake crater:)

Camel milk... not for me, mon ami!

Oh I will surely have a look at the lava lake - in wikipedia and in the sim as well. I love these geographical features!

2 hours ago, jean marc said:

Great trip Gerold .... Maybe no beer but camel's milk will be available O0

Go East to look the lava lake of Erta Ale... If I right remember it is the only active one in the world excepted the other one of Erebus in Antarctica ... Great video by this link :

Erta Ale amazing active lava lake crater:)

Amazing video! Another must-see...

2 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

A wonderful set Gerold and a nicely adorned C-47 you are flying in.

SOme very interesting links too of this unknown part of the world to me.

Indeed Martyn, an unknown part for most of us. Isn´t this planet an interesting place?

6 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

And no toilet paper - are the folks in Australia also panicking that much about it these days?

Nothing like a crisis to bring out the stupidity of people is there.

WHy toilet paper? I was busy buying canned and dry food which we could eat and anyway we have plenty of leaves in the back garden!

The shelves are full again now and what really makes me laugh are the instances of idiots trying to return thousands of dollars of toilet rolls and hand sanitiser they bought hoping to make a killing on eBay. When their accounts were frozen they were stuck with the stuff.

2 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Indeed Martyn, an unknown part for most of us. Isn´t this planet an interesting place?

Is it ever Gerold but for the time being we will only have the wonderful Orbx World to satisfy our exploratory urges!

12 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Is it ever Gerold but for the time being we will only have the wonderful Orbx World to satisfy our exploratory urges!

Indeed Martyn, we are fortunate that we still can virtually travel and - hopefully - prepare future real explorations.

Some say there are people living that do not have Orbx - could you imagine that?

For Erta Ale you could take off from Mekele (HAMK) and fly East about 80 Nm

DUALAcP.jpg

VaRT5Kd.jpg

... to be in this amazing place on Earth...the Land of the terrible Danakil / Afar people ...

vXa2pKy.jpg

9Cx1FWs.jpg

A great flight before to maybe read Thesinger's "Arabian Sands" ("The Danakil Diary" is really less good) : the beginning of the book is about Sahara and Ethiopia/Afar area before its amazing Arabian deserts explorations great book to learn about Bedouin people and desert life...70 years ago ... but still present in northern Mali and other remote places of Sahara...)

Arabian Sands (Penguin Classics)

Another great set Gerold causing my note book to now be on page 5 :D - what this set really brought to mind for me was what I'm starting to see, as I slowly make my way up the east coast, is fairly large areas of high density population followed by vary large areas of almost nothing except either sand, bush, mountains, lakes and quite dazzling POIs!  Godd luck with the cold beer B)

3 hours ago, Hauer said:

Wonderful series, wonderful aircraft... well done, Gerold!

Herman :rolleyes:

Thank you Herman. Always good to read the comment of someone who knows the continent, at least a bit...

3 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Nice flight.

Thanks Jack! Come down to virtual Africa, there is enough space for yellow planes here! But no high bridges, I fear...

2 hours ago, jean marc said:

For Erta Ale you could take off from Mekele (HAMK) and fly East about 80 Nm

DUALAcP.jpg

... to be in this amazing place on Earth...the Land of the terrible Danakil / Afar people ...

A great flight before to maybe read Thesinger's "Arabian Sands" ("The Danakil Diary" is really less good) : the beginning of the book is about Sahara and Ethiopia/Afar area before its amazing Arabian deserts explorations great book to learn about Bedouin people and desert life...70 years ago ... but still present in northern Mali and other remote places of Sahara...)

Arabian Sands (Penguin Classics)

Believe it or not Jean Marc, I have already set up a flight plan in plan-g starting exactly in HAMK. And I have set a waypoint to 13.37 N 40.39 E...

What is missing is the reading... though in Corona times we could have plenty of time. Once my honeydo-jobs are finished...

53 minutes ago, TerribleT said:

Another great set Gerold causing my note book to now be on page 5 :D - what this set really brought to mind for me was what I'm starting to see, as I slowly make my way up the east coast, is fairly large areas of high density population followed by vary large areas of almost nothing except either sand, bush, mountains, lakes and quite dazzling POIs!  Godd luck with the cold beer B)

Lovely to read you enjoy the inspiration of me - and the others, I suspect. These distances are enormous, aren´t they? And we all have so little knowledge about the continent, which makes the distances even bigger. A flight from Perth to the next city takes some time, and here we have this situation nearly everywhere.

1 hour ago, Stillwater said:

Thank you Herman. Always good to read the comment of someone who knows the continent, at least a bit...

Thanks Jack! Come down to virtual Africa, there is enough space for yellow planes here! But no high bridges, I fear...

As much as I would like to I've been more busy than you can imagine.  Haven't flown in a long time.

8 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

As much as I would like to I've been more busy than you can imagine.  Haven't flown in a long time.

Sad to read that, but the main thing is: Stay safe and in good health, my friend!

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Neptune6 said:

Did you know * MAMA FANTA*  :lol: to djibout

Oh yes, now I remember. I have seen a documentation about her!

3 hours ago, Ripcord said:

They do, I promise.  But it is expensive. 

Hmm, better fly with Mule Air Services through Alaska?

Archived