Introducing Caernarfon Airport EGCK for X-Plane 11

Croeso i Gymru (Welcome to Wales). 

Introducing Orbx EGCK Caernarfon Airport for X-Plane 11 by Tony Wroblewski.

Caernarfon (pronounced [KUH] + [NAA] + [VUHN]) (Maes Awyr Caernarfon) is a lovely general aviation airport located right in the heart of Snowdonia, North Wales, in one of the most scenic and popular tourist areas in the UK. Having spent many days around this scenic area, Tony has always wanted to recreate this airfield and have it as a base to explore this stunning area from the air, and he is very pleased to share this airport with you.

63-0ba7ad1476e6cb694eb1e42900f2b64f.jpg

Located in an idyllic rural location on the coast, EGCK is a popular general aviation airport and search & rescue base located just 7.4km southwest from the town of Caernarfon with its historic castle and town centre. Serving as a base for the Welsh Search and Rescue and air ambulance, it is also host to several flying schools and offers tourists scenic flights over Snowdonia national park and beyond. Being just a short flight from the major city urban areas around Liverpool and Manchester, the airfield offers a great escape into the Welsh mountains and beyond and fits perfectly into TrueEarth GB central. Unusually, the airfield features two large wind turbines next to runway 02/20 which also makes for an interesting and unique approach. For those more adventurous types, why not hop in a fighter jet and give the famous mach loop a try.

Created by developer TrueEarth developer Tony Wroblewski (Also known for EGCB, L52, ENOV and ENHA), the entire airfield has been modelled in superb detail from extensive real-world photography and numerous site visits offering unmatched realism and accuracy. The airport and all the recent extensions and new buildings from summer 2019 have been included ensuring that the airport is as close as possible to the real airport and will remain so for many years to come.

Features at a glance:

-    Ultra high definition 2cm/px bespoke hand-painted ground textures for the immediate airport area.
-    High definition, hand-crafted 30cm/px imagery for the surrounding area.

-    Custom and unique built ground vehicles and aircraft based at the airfield all modelled and included.
-    Accurately and superbly modelled buildings based on real-world mapping and LiDAR height data.
-    Detailed 3D fencing, signage and equipment modelled from real-world photographs
-    High definition hand-crafted PBR materials for the airport buildings which react perfectly to the lighting conditions.
-    Historic RAF Llandwrog buildings fully modelled and ready to be explored.
-    Surrounding POIs, e.g. Morfa Holiday Park, Fort Belan and farmland buildings have been modelled and included.
-    Optimized for best performance and blended seamlessly with Orbx GB TrueEarth Central
-    Animated and functional signal square, anemometer and windsock.

42-753f205df876ff22c576408cded894b5.jpg

63-3670e55afd93eb5483c8c7e6e2bf19f3.jpg

63-03cc6392b4a44b31a89294aefb452e0f.jpg

63-9f85b5f0e5dfa30ae522fe24b106ab8e.jpg

63-27dcde71b0a2fab4898dc9aa128e3b3f.jpg

63-2cbe4226bd787a3227bbc592acade82f.jpg

63-d9ba3d68b3742038cb5d1d0777723962.jpg

image.thumb.png.e343884524a3b5a11eaf790a1c170509.png

63-f8f9e24b33b7bf2e8589ba18159969da.jpg

63-f385bd0e215a405e2e3b75d8370706d6.jpg

63-799aa22f8195c194e657e75de5909afa.jpg

63-f9c255494cdb8e3ad2c0a3f977e14ead.jpg

63-fbfdc7874f501b85515c37a480bfc379.jpg

63-34f2e73c8f30b007f3e9617ff291b4c2.jpg

63-9b5c174ec29cb9c05dbc9219013eaa29.jpg

63-c6952cf4b2c4396ce7f4ffc372bafdb4.jpg

63-dcd06e2721eec60b1f18690ece506172.jpg

42-684bcd30d1818dba54fc011b34638ab9.jpg

image.png

3 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Do they really have those wind turbines so close to the runway? All I can think of is someone can fly into one.

Yes, really. I've been there several times and as crazy as it sounds, it's accurate.

Bare in mind that there are two runways, the one with the turbines next to them is special use only, i.e. Pilots need prior permission and authorisation to use it. Most of the time, the safer runway is used. It still bafflles me why they built them there though

image.png.8388c84dfac855c9fd28461b7bc77652.png

Very interesting airfield, nicely executed.

Last pic - bottom right - looks like a Prison or old barracks?

& like Jack I am stunned that they could build the 2 wind turbines where they did. Do they maintain the runway that passes next to them?

TTM

10 minutes ago, Tony Wroblewski said:

Yes, really. I've been there several times and as crazy as it sounds, it's accurate.

Bare in mind that there are two runways, the one with the turbines next to them is special use only, i.e. Pilots need prior permission and authorisation to use it. Most of the time, the safer runway is used. It still bafflles me why they built them there though

image.png.8388c84dfac855c9fd28461b7bc77652.png

Thanks Tony!  Yes, I agree, baffling.  And they need special permission too.  Why not go through all that and put them somewhere else.  But it’s still interesting, I look forward to adding it to my XP collection.

3 hours ago, Tony Wroblewski said:

If there is enough interest then I'll certainly consider it :)

I have no idea how porting from XP to P3D & vice versa operates.

Do you essentially have to start from scratch or are there many 'common elements' & the conversion involves code tinkering to make it all work in the new format??

Also, shot 13 down - the round hay bales.

At first I thought the hay bales were too smooth then I realized they are probably wrapped in protective plastic?

Curious whether that is the plastic color used in Wales as over here the wrap tends to be a darker green.

Yes, AR detail:)

TTM

5 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:

Also, shot 13 down - the round hay bales.

At first I thought the hay bales were too smooth then I realized they are probably wrapped in protective plastic?

Yep, it's wrapped in plastic. Not sure what use they are, but they seem to leave them there, probably so it's really obvious that you don't land there

5 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:

Do you essentially have to start from scratch or are there many 'common elements' & the conversion involves code tinkering to make it all work in the new format??

The 3D models aren't the problem, I can just re-export them. The issue is simply a) My lack of experience making airports for P3D as opposed to XP, b) The XP specific tech and ground polys. It's possible, just takes time and a bit of head scratching 

1 hour ago, Tony Wroblewski said:

Yep, it's wrapped in plastic. Not sure what use they are, but they seem to leave them there, probably so it's really obvious that you don't land there

The 3D models aren't the problem, I can just re-export them. The issue is simply a) My lack of experience making airports for P3D as opposed to XP, b) The XP specific tech and ground polys. It's possible, just takes time and a bit of head scratching 

Thanks for your responses.

I think they wrap the hay bales to discourage stock grazing in the same paddock from munching on unwrapped bales, & to slow the 'ageing/disintegration' of the hay.

[Though there shouldn't be any unfenced stock near the airfield of course].

Also, they are pretty heavy & pragmatically, they only move them when they have to.

I have seen them moved by a tractor with a 1 arm forklift attachment that is stuck straight through the middle of the bale & then lifted.

They can also rig apparatus on the back of a tractor that runs a rod through the middle of the bale & lifts it off the ground.

After they cut the plastic,  bindings etc, they  drive the tractor forward  & can roll it out on the ground like a carpet.

If they are winter feeding cattle then there is likely to be a bit of a stampede chasing the tractor to get at the hay.

TTM

Dear Tony

Just to put my mind at rest - 3rd pic down with the helicopters has "maneuvering" on the sign rather than the British "manoeuvering".

Did you take a photo of the sign to paste on the model or is it actually spelt the British way as it's an airport in, well, Britain?

Yes I'm a pedant!

On 3/16/2020 at 6:09 AM, Tony Wroblewski said:

If there is enough interest then I'll certainly consider it :)

Of course I want this beautiful piece of work for P3D, however, I am a little confused by your consideration of porting EGCK to P3D only if there is enough interest.  I thought all in house development of Orbx Airports in the future would be developed in the same workstream for both XP11 and P3D with XP11 releasing first and P3D afterward as stated by JV in point number 2 in the quote below.  The quote below really stabilized P3D user's expectatons.  I know I was quite happy to know what to expect.  Has something changed ?

Rod        

On 7/26/2019 at 9:01 AM, John Venema said:

OK since you asked ...

Orbx has two streams of development:

1. Independent Contractor Developers for Airports - these are well known 'brands' like Jarrad Marshall, Misha Cajic, Matteo Veneziano, Ken Hall, Tim Harris, Marcus Nyberg, Scott Armstrong, Bill Womack, Tore Stranden,, Andreas Hegi, Finni Hansen, Maurizio Giorgi, Allen Kriesman, Jordan Gough and a few others. Sometimes some of these developers simply lose their 'mojo' and leave projects for months or years at a time, or never go back to developing.

These developers are independent from Orbx in that they develop to their own schedule, part-time or full-time, and without deadlines imposed in their contracts. Orbx acts as their publisher and gives them access to our libraries, shared tools, online store, installer and obviously marketing resources etc. We cannot control the rate of their output, nor when their projects will be finished. This group also develops 99.9% of their content for P3D exclusively, and provide their files to Orbx who then may port to other platforms.

2. In-House Developers for Airports and Regions - these are people and teams like Turbulent Aviation, Gayasim, Tony Wroblewski, Holger Sandmann, Frank Schnibben, Chris Clack and many others - a total of about 40+ people, (soon to be 55+ people after our current recruitment phase is complete). These developers are full-time with Orbx, work to defined schedules with delivery deadlines and all their activity is funded by Orbx.

This is the fastest growing area of the company right now, and represents about 82% of our revenues which will soon will be over 90% or more. In addition to working on TE and LC regions, and global products, these groups develop airports for both XP11 and P3D in the same workflow, with releases happening usually on XP11 first, followed by P3D within a few weeks to a month. We will reduce that gap over time to the point where releases will only be weeks apart. With these projects we can much more accurately forecast release dates and have a solid roadmap to share with customers. All future roadmap discussions will focus on the In-House teams rather than the independent contractors. In this way we will not be at risk of announcing products that may be delayed or cancelled.

With the recent releases of EGNX and EGLC for XP11, the P3D versions are about 80% complete and will be released soon. So there may be a perception we are XP11 biased but that is totally not the case. Please also remember we promised to port almost all our airports from P3D to XP11 so you are going to see a LOT of release announcement for ported airports, but you need to remember FSX/P3D customers have been enjoying those airports for sometimes over a decade.

Looking at our internal roadmap, I can see the independent group of contractor developers have about 10-12 P3D brand new airports in various stages of completion. Some of these are close to being announced. So there is plenty of goodness coming your way in the next 9-12 months.

image.gif

19 minutes ago, stiletto2 said:

I thought all in house development of Orbx Airports in the future would be developed in the same workstream for both XP11 and P3D with XP11 releasing first and P3D afterward as stated by JV in point number 2 in the quote below

It's not an in-house airport (i.e. Made my Orbx in the UK dev centre), but an independently (i.e. by me) made airport. John's statement stands true for airports made in-house

Archived