Scandinavian Mountains Airport Preview #2: Behind the Scenes [P3Dv4]

16-7442e90d03a5a14e5d09e422ee3cbb8c.jpg

God dag!

I figured it was time for a second round of previews for my upcoming ESKS Scandinavian Mountains Airport, and to share a little bit of a background story about how we took on this project. But before I do, I would like to thank you all for the great feedback from our first announcement last week. Work is progressing very well, and we are entering the final stages of development shortly. 

16-ebd267777df856dbd042ee83dc1fcc8d.jpg

Every year when I grew up (which is close to ESSD Dala Airport), we went to my family's winter cabin in Gördalen, roughly 80 km from Sälen. Depending on my dad's mood, we took the route via Älvdalen, or we took the one via Sälen. If we went via Sälen we had to go into Norway and then back into Sweden to come to our cabin. The road markings switch to yellow and the roads become worse (as my dad used to joke), but aside from that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

16-90f83335e9e4124eaf88ee5a65d9b296.jpg

Scandinavian Mountains Airport didn't exist when I was a kid. As a matter of fact, it didn't exist until just a few days prior to Christmas last year. But I know the area well, located just a brief drive from Sälen, but also conveniently enough from Trysil, over the border in Norway. Hence the name - an airport covering two of the biggest ski-resorts in two countries. 

When I heard about that the airport would actually take off, it seemed like a very obvious project to take on.

16-78a8203668470f379f3ffdd596235e9e.jpg

We were lucky to get some great help from the airport management, who simply said "that sounds cool", when we explained what we intended to do. Pierre Engblom (who made the autogen placements you see in this scenery) and I took a day trip out there in October and got all the reference material we needed.

16-f7ccec44a2797eff1533854602b67e0c.jpg

A unique issue with a completely new airport is that up-to-date satellite imagery is almost impossible to acquire. So after a great deal of deliberation on how best to proceed, we had a conversation with the airport management, to see if they had any leads; "Sure, we've got the whole airport shot with a drone in 3cm/resolution, you can use that if you like".

16-60009c89fb451ad7ea910628a4a5592a.jpg

The result? Welcome to the first Orbx airport with 3cm/px aerial imagery!

16-e3a1a05e1b264d5cf91ae8012037da97.jpg

A special feature of the 3cm ground imagery is the added advanced materials that come with it - you can watch the soil and grass realistically morph as the lighting conditions change. Combined with the snow and rain variations, this creates a far more dynamic environment compared to traditional flat orthoimagery.

16-51b49af08a1bcd24815cf90867775957.jpg

16-d670a957c865e72addf830a011756ce5.jpg

16-36f8b08f9f0fb97f998cf0df66d0bd18.jpg

Be sure to keep an eye out for more information and previews coming out both here and on our Facebook page over the coming week. 

Mycket nöje!

Another good set of images, and the genesis of the project is interesting.

I read a while ago that Orbx had upgraded its cars by obtaining access to more realistic imagery, [or something like that].

I wonder if the same source has a few snowmobile images sitting around?

Stationary would do.

Ambiance.:)

TTM

10 hours ago, TigerTigerM said:

Another good set of images, and the genesis of the project is interesting.

I read a while ago that Orbx had upgraded its cars by obtaining access to more realistic imagery, [or something like that].

I wonder if the same source has a few snowmobile images sitting around?

Stationary would do.

Ambiance.:)

TTM

Sorry, no snow mobiles this time. But we should definitly make some for future projects for sure :)

10 hours ago, paddler said:

What a tremendous story, particularly nice to hear about the generous response from the airport management. This background information will add to the enjoyment of this addition to my Orbx library.

Yes, they have been so helpful. Even the CEO setting off time to guide us around the airport when they for obvious reasons had lots to do. I mean, they were opening an international airport a few weeks later, not everyday that happens ;)

9 hours ago, Rasi said:

Thank you for the pictures and the additional information about the "makeing of".
It looks fantastic, I'm looking forward to the airport. 

Tack så mycket, Marcus och Pierre

Tack för de fina orden!

6 hours ago, carlosqr said:

Love your products Marcus

Thank you so much!

5 hours ago, Mauricio Naude said:

Just Incredible 

Thank you! :) 

7 minutes ago, Marcus Nyberg said:

Yes, they have been so helpful. Even the CEO setting off time to guide us around the airport when they for obvious reasons had lots to do. I mean, they were opening an international airport a few weeks later, not everyday that happens ;)

Yes, ask the CEO of Berlin BER... 

A wonderful Project and an interesting thing to see a bit "behind the courtain" too.

3 minutes ago, beat578 said:

Yes, ask the CEO of Berlin BER... 

A wonderful Project and an interesting thing to see a bit "behind the courtain" too.

Thanks!

And yes, BER is such a fascinating story. Heard they are opening in november though (lufthansa moved the schedueled flights there mid-november if I'm not mistaken). 

Well we'll see how that goes :) 

I enjoy these kids of personal story posts, and this is such an interesting project, in a number of ways. 

Honestly I didn't realize that there is a big alpine skiing area up along the border area there so now I am tempted to go for an advance recon flight just to have a look around.

Archived